Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many USPSA matches/month within 30 miles of you?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Local Non-USPSA range where I can practice: 11 miles

Home range: 23 miles

Home range 2: 40 miles

Next closest: 42 miles

3rd closest: 74 miles

4th closest: 95 miles

but this is all within a about a 2 hour max. After this it has to be special or I don't go. And then there is Steel, IDPA Cowboy, PPC, and others all within this range.

Crazy as it seems the less gun friendly an area the more opportunity to compete or so it sometimes appears.

I am 20 miles west of Philadelphia, PA. My home club which is 10 miles away has IDPA and Steel. No USPSA. I have one USPSA club that is about 30 miles away and another indoor IDPA club at about 25 miles. The rest for USPSA, or Steel are between 1 and 3 hours.

From Myrtle Beach there is a USPSA match 38 miles from my lady friends house. The next is 53 miles away in NC... then we are speaking of multiple hours. I travel 196 miles each way for 1 of the matches at Sir Walter Gun Club in NC, the 1st Sat of the month. To shoot 3 matches per month I travel nearly 1000 miles. From my house in NC the closest match is in Salisbury, NC and that is 48 miles away.

As the crow's fly, it would be 0! :(

One IDPA match might be ~35 miles direct but its about 50 miles to drive. Another is about ~45 direct and drive.

The nearest USPSA is ~60 direct and ~75 miles to drive.

There are a few indoor ranges that are closer but have no matches.

California Bay Area is very fortunate. It has a lot to do with how many people are in the area too, and the space to have the ranges.

When I was in Antioch.. 10 miles to the closest... in Montana, 20 miles.. the next is a lot further.

But considering Montana has less than 1M people total (less than San Jose) - it makes sense you couldn't support as many clubs

Here in the Phoenix Metro area, if you count USPSA and Steel/Steel Challenge matches we have 23 matches per month. Just straight USPSA paper matches we have 12 lots to shoot here in Phoenix with Rio, Ben Avery and Phoenix Rod and Gun!

Here in the Phoenix Metro area, if you count USPSA and Steel/Steel Challenge matches we have 23 matches per month. Just straight USPSA paper matches we have 12 lots to shoot here in Phoenix with Rio, Ben Avery and Phoenix Rod and Gun!

There's only 2 USPSA Clubs in Maine, Augusta and Hampden, about 50 miles apart. Try to go to Augusta each month.

None now. Closest are 1.5 and 1.75 hrs away.

When I started, we had a club match 10 minutes away. But since the majority of the competitors attending the match were coming from 1.5 -1.75 hours away....well, you can fill in the blanks. :(

Curtis

None, zero, zip, zilch, nada. The closest two monthly matches are a 90 minute drive for me. Another one is an hour and 45 minute drive. The rest are over two hours and I drive dang fast.

What he said. We live in the same town.

XD, we gotta get something started here in town!

Miles is not the 'correct criteria' I would look at drive time. I know there are places that are under 30 miles that can take over an hour and others that are over 30 miles that can take less time to reach. I want to have a max 3 hour for most "Regular" matches and preferably one hour or less regardless of mileage.

My opinion, others are entitled to their erroneous opinions so long as they don't try to sway others to their point of view.

Jim

Nemesis - as far as the "Mecca" of action shooting goes, two of the main contenders are already posted in your thread. Phoenix/Mesa has lots of matches pretty close to one another. Texas has lots of shooting, though you'll drive further (but, as pointed out, miles aren't as critical as drive time, and a fast car on the highway in TX can get you places quickly).

Me, I'm hoping to retire to Mesa, though shooting in the greater Bay Area is good ('cept for the prevalent politics and antigun attitudes).