Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many USPSA matches/month within 30 miles of you?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can shoot 5 USPSA handgun matches per month by travelling no more than 30 miles from my home (I could do more with multi-gun, but let's leave that out). I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not bad for being behind the Iron Curtain.

I am wondering......where are you and how many USPSA handgun matches can you shoot per month? Note--please abide by the 30 mile limit.

I ask because I wonder how things are around the country and if there is a "Mecca" of USPSA shooting. If so....I might even consider moving there in retirement! I also saw a thread from a guy moving to Cheyenne, Wyoming and was absolutely stunned to see that the closest USPSA club is 2 hours away. I would have never guess that.

30 mile limit. Hell this is Alaska my driveway is longer than that.

In all seriousness I have to drive between 90 miles and 150 miles to get to a match. I have put 45000 miles on my truck in the last 2 and a half years driving to matches in Kenai, Palmer and Fairbanks. I am jelous of you guys who can do mulitple matches with in 30 miles of your home. Then their is the winter season when all I have is Palmer indoor matches or Fairbanks indoor matches. Practice in the winter is hard as well with temperatures that reach -5 at times with 30 mph winds. In the summer I attend a 22 steel match every tuesday in Kenai. I attend at a USPSA match in Kenai every month in the summer and a USPSA or IDPA match in Palmer every other week in Palmer. In the winter I attend a match every other sunday. (all they have)

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I live in Ohio(Dayton, Oh), where gun laws aren't bad at all. Buuuut, only one match a month within thirty miles. There are three others within a reasonable distance(60-70 miles), but only one in the Dayton area, Miamisburg Sportsman's Club.

Here in the Phoenix Metro area, if you count USPSA and Steel/Steel Challenge matches we have 23 matches per month. Just straight USPSA paper matches we have 12 lots to shoot here in Phoenix with Rio, Ben Avery and Phoenix Rod and Gun!

if you add IDPA we have 28 Matches a month : ) ... i love AZ :cheers:

Here in the Phoenix Metro area, if you count USPSA and Steel/Steel Challenge matches we have 23 matches per month. Just straight USPSA paper matches we have 12 lots to shoot here in Phoenix with Rio, Ben Avery and Phoenix Rod and Gun!

if you add IDPA we have 28 Matches a month : ) ... i love AZ :cheers:

That's great! But what single man has the time and resources to shoot half of the matches there? All of the matches in relation to where I live are over 30 miles away. Yeah I'm jealous, but you never get to shoot in the rain and cold! :angry:

Edited by ronhonda

an average shooter here shoots about 10-16 matches a month thats just counting 2 steel matches and a few ipsc a week and no 3 gun or IDPA ... thats the beauty of Open Squading you do get the time to shoot...as far as resources thats a different story ... i shot the Steel Match yesterday in about 45 minutes :cheers:

yeah your right i do miss shooting in the rain and snow :roflol:

come on dude its time to move here :cheers:

Edited by ogiebb

zero, our gun club drove off the leadership.

But that's ok, they treat everyone like that. No one gets to use the 7 outdoor pistol bays at all. They will sit at the clubhouse and TALK about shooting all day long though.

Fortunately, North of us, is one of the most active sections in USPSA, so we head there.

an average shooter here shoots about 10-16 matches a month thats just counting 2 steel matches and a few ipsc a week and no 3 gun or IDPA ... thats the beauty of Open Squading you do get the time to shoot...as far as resources thats a different story ... i shot the Steel Match yesterday in about 45 minutes :cheers:

Right away, as soon as my bank account has numbers with 6+zeros at the end! :rolleyes:

Right away, as soon as my bank account has numbers with 6+zeros at the end! :rolleyes:

yeah i forgot AZ is Beverly Hills B):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by ogiebb

1 or 2 within 30 miles but about 4 or 5 within an hour.

Between USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge I can shoot every weekend both days and maybe 2-3 days during the week. All with in an hour maybe a little more.

I just checked the calendar. Our section has 14 matches between Steel Challenge and USPSA, although for me there are only 1 or 3 within 30 miles.

Just IPSC? One per month. Beyond that, there are five matches three hours away.

I do manage to shoot more though. We have 1-2 steel matches per month and IDPA. So I can shoot almost every weekend if I want. It's just the IPSC specific work that can be hard to come by.

yeah i forgot AZ is Beverly Hills B):rolleyes::rolleyes:

The zeros will be for the AC bill and shooting components.

Shooting components you need to add an extra zero... :roflol:

On AC not really i pay $200 monthly for electric for 5 hot months and $80 for cold months on a 5 bedroom home with the temp set to 79..not bad i guess

I also only pay $1000 a month for my mortgage,Home Insurance and prop taxes compared to my $2500 apartment in Bayside NY .... So yeah AZ is a real backbreaker :rolleyes:

But yeah lets get back to the original topic sorry for the thread drift...

Edited by ogiebb

• 2 weeks later...

One.

I'm in the same boat, same west Texas town with JordanO. Our "home" range is 45 miles away, then it gets to be a ways for the rest! Pretty much figure on driving 2hrs plus EACH way.

I'm with them. But I'm closer to that "home range." Probably 10-12 miles.

Next closest is 100 miles.

After that about 150. (Never been there. Been meaning to try it.)

Then 200. (Went there once.)

Then 250. (Been to two matches there. Planning to get there more often.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm between Rio and Phoenix Rod & Gun so I have 6 USPSA matches a month that I go to on the weekends. There may be more at those ranges, but those are the matches I frequent. Ben Avery is a bit outside the 30 miles from me so I didn't count those matches. I also do a couple of weekday steel matches.

We are somewhat spoiled and I do not know if I would shoot as much if I had to move away.