Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Far Do You Drive?

How far away is your home range where you usually practice? Does this distance limit your ability to practice?

It's a 45 min drive each way for me, thus I can only really go once a week or so, not enough. I really wish I had one in my backyard.

My practice range is about 10 minutes away. I don't have any excuse not to practice, but I have yet to really start any substantive program.

AFA matches go, they're held at this range, a range that's 25 minutes away, a range that's an hour away, a range that's an hour-and-a-half away... you get the idea. I tend to use matches as practice... <_<

I have a range within ten minutes of where I live, but I can only really use it when no one else is there. I don't like to be there when there are people I don't with loaded guns and unknown safety habits.

At the end of 2003, I was going about an hour and ten minutes to get to the range to practice with twix, jimstc, and BigDave.

the range where i practsie most is 2 hrs away so only once a month . which is a good thing considering the amount i would shoot otherwise. the club range is 15 mins but is very restrictive so i dont shoot much there only dry practise with a few live rounds.

j

About 15 minutes, and I still seem to never find the time to get over there to practice more than once a week. I know several people who driver 1 to 2 hours each way to the same range, and they seem to be there a lot more than I am. If you want to be a GM, DON"T buy an older house, with property, and allow you wife to own horses. <_<:huh:

Under 20 minutes to the RRGC here in sunny NoCal. That's going. Coming back, The increase in evening traffic makes over a half hour.

Working late, and having a family means practice once a week, if I can get away.

I have a wide variety of options:

One range is 9 miles (10 minutes) away and seldom available for anything but shotgun stuff on the weekends. If you don't shoot trap you suck. If you aren't one of "they gang" you suck. No berms, just a hillside. Shot there once with a member years ago and won't go back. You have to stop at the City Hall and get a key if you are a member. Not a member...no key. They don't issue keys as it is on city property.

Second range is 28 miles away (about 38 minutes). 2 bays unless someone is using the rifle bay (100 yards only)...then only 1 bay as the second one is at the terminal end of the rifle bay. Currently snowed in and not easy to reach even with a 4x4. This is my "home" range.

Third range is 85 miles (2 hours) away. Something like 8 regular bays, nice wide 350 yard rifle bay, covered wide pistol bay (for bullseye or non-movement stuff), toilet facilities, clubhouse, etc. Best publicly available range in the area.

Fourth range is 45 minutes away (never took mileage) and is a private range owned by a friend who lets me come play. Best ammenities are zero crowds, zero idiots we don't know and a nice porch back at the house for a cold beer or four after a day of fun. Currently "Snowshoes Required" according to the owner.

There used to be a ton of good, safe places to shoot around here, one of them within a mile of my house. But, the twits, morons, miscreants and generally unwashed masses befouled them and did many stupid things (shooting at houses, livestock, etc) so they are mostly all closed, fenced and posted. :(

The indoor range I shoot at every Tuesday night is about 5 mi from home. My closest outdoor shooting club is about 10 miles. It is on school board land and we are losing it this year because they built a school about 1.5 miles away. But our club range is about 40 miles from here. Five short bays with a 40 yard bay at the bottom for longer field courses. Some of the members get there several times a month for practice but we have our matches on the fourth Saturday and the First Sunday of the month.

I almost forgot, there is an IDPA club about 70 miles away that I try to shoot at a couple of times a year.

dj

I belong to two clubs. One only is 4 miles from my house and has a lot of different types of monthly matches i.e. pins, but because of draconian range rules I drive 34 miles to another club where I can REALLY practice.

I’m lucky; I can shoot a IPSC match every weekend, at a different club, and never have to drive more than 40 miles, one way. :)

Ed

40 lane indoor range is 10 min away. Bullseye practice only.

Main ipsc range (1 bay) - 30 min (our "home" base where we can build any kinda stage we want)

Secondary ipsc range (poss 25 bays) - 15 min away. Enourmous shooting center with everything but due to politics it's not that easy to train IPSC there. Police has most of the good time slots.

My IPSC club shoots at a range about 8 miles away. Another IPSC club shoots at a range 30 miles away. My local indoor range is about 8 miles from where I live. And I belong to two non-IPSC shooting clubs with outdoor ranges--one 35 miles, the other 50 miles.

20 minutes to a members only rifle range with just a back stop with wheat fields all around. Back stop has 2 4x8 sheets of plywood for mounting targets, ground is pretty rutted so not really safe to try running shots. Stupid part, management wants me to move the targets around so I don't shoot big holes in their back stop. Indoor range only allows lead at 50 feet and is usually full of Bullseye shooters who think rapid fire is 1 shot per minute. The old outdoor range facility was on land leased from Pennsylvania Power & Light but they kicked us off when the lease expired Nov.

Local gun clubs are building a new facility based on what Cody, WY has but because of winter there hasn't been any ground work for ranges.

My USPSA club range is a 3 hour drive so I only go there to shoot matches.

I have a range on my farm,so no distance to drive. My closest range which shoots IPSC, IDPA, Steel and pins is 10 minutes away. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than this. (sounds like a beer commercial)