Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Race Master Holster Review

nhglyn

Hi

I am getting a new open 38 super with a C-More and a Quinn II side mount.

With the previous discussion regarding the Range Master Holster digging into hips I am wondering if it will work with this set up.

I am also a female so I tend to wear my belt more on the upper hip then the waist.

thanks

julie

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my DARM yesterday and have about an hour of dry fire in with it. I think I will keep it. :rolleyes: My only non-gun specific comment is that the Safety Lever could be about 1/4" longer. It is a little hard to sweep unlike the lever on the Ghost.

My open guns are based on a Para frame, so as advised by Saul, I got the 1911 model. It works good but the gun is a tad loose. It can rotate a bit when locked, independent of the setting of the tension screw. I checked the holster with a SA single stack and the gun is pretty much stable. The picture below is the SA in the insert block:

post-400-127516348848_thumb.jpg

There is a very good fit of the trigger guard to the block. In fact, the block is hanging unsupported from the trigger guard.

The picture below is the Para in the insert block:

post-400-127516484181_thumb.jpg

It can be seen that the fit is not so good and the gun can rotate some in the block. I guess the Para frame is not so alike the 1911. I have another gun with a Para frame that has been seen to be slightly different from the one in the picture. I know this because I had to adjust the little nylon screws on the Ghost holster when changing guns. If you use this holster for a Para, expect a little slop. (Perhaps a "Holstersmith" insert block kit is in order?)

My holster evolution started a long time ago with a Bianchi Hemisphere with the Arredondo muzzle platform. When I started in Open, I had to adjust the platform when changing from limited to open. The Ghost was introduced and I tried it with a single stack. With the pin-type holster, it was very stable. I upgraded to the non-pin holster when the kit became available. It worked OK with the Para, but I had to tweak the little screws to get a solid fit. When I used my other Para frame, I had to re-tweak the screws. With the screws set correctly, the gun was still but I could loosen up and rotate it if I really pushed down on the grip. The gun stayed locked, but I would have to re-holster to re-stabilize the gun. So basically, it was good but changing guns was a hassle.

So I decided to try the CR Speed WSMII. This was the most stable but, again, I had to adjust the platform to change guns. If they had used a thumb screw, it would be simpler. The other issue I had with this holster is that one of my guns has a 5" barrel; with an EGW comp and the combined length requires the CR platform to be about at the bottom of the holster. The drawback to this is that the platform can catch on stuff, especially in a seated start. The funny thing about this holster is after a while I realized this one worked much like the old Bianchi, except the Hemisphere did not have a lock. :goof:

That led me to the ADRM.

So the overall rating for "non-wiggleability" for Para is

1) CR Speed WSM II

2) DARM

3) Ghost

Just to be clear, I am not trashing the DARM. I will use this for the rest of the year and see how it works out. In dry fire, it is as fast as the Ghost. If only that Safety lever could be a hair longer...

Later,

Chuck

Does anyone out there use the DAA RM on a Tanfoglio Limited? I am looking to move up from my Kydex to a race holster but the choices are very limited for the Tanfoglio. I was glad to see that DAA was making this holster for my gun but not sure I want to be #1 to test it out since I do not have much experience with race holsters.

I just used my RM holster for the first time and must say that it's at least as nice as my Guga Ribas. The plus on this holster is that you dont have to adjust anything about it to lock the gun because that was a pain on the Guga. The gun sits really secure in the holster and when you draw it it feels like the gun was suspended in mid air. There is no friction what so ever.

Hi Chuck,

I read your report with interest. Sorry to see that the fit to your Para is not as good as it should be. That is interesting, as the Para I tried here (two of them) did seem to fit as well as the 1911...

Although I must confess that these round steel trigger guards are not the ideal shape for my holster locking system, as even with a perfect fit the gun can still rotate a few degrees through the radius..

that said, a good fit, when achieved, as you saw with your other 1911 will work well enough.

Chuck, your idea of an undersize slide lock is a good one, and one we have considered, and with your cooperation - lets try it out. I am on route to Czech right now, but next week I can send you a new slide lock, with a very narrow undersize tooth cut in it, then, you can use your dremel to gradual widen it until you get the fit you need. Are you game to try that?

let me know, and be sure to send me your mailing adress.

thanks

Saul

Hi Chuck,

I read your report with interest. Sorry to see that the fit to your Para is not as good as it should be. That is interesting, as the Para I tried here (two of them) did seem to fit as well as the 1911...

Although I must confess that these round steel trigger guards are not the ideal shape for my holster locking system, as even with a perfect fit the gun can still rotate a few degrees through the radius..

that said, a good fit, when achieved, as you saw with your other 1911 will work well enough.

Chuck, your idea of an undersize slide lock is a good one, and one we have considered, and with your cooperation - lets try it out. I am on route to Czech right now, but next week I can send you a new slide lock, with a very narrow undersize tooth cut in it, then, you can use your dremel to gradual widen it until you get the fit you need. Are you game to try that?

let me know, and be sure to send me your mailing adress.

thanks

Saul

Saul,

Thanks a bunch! Gotta love good customer support! Good look in the Czech match. Don't let the pivo or those beautiful Czech women distract you ;) . I will PM you the address.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Saul, when will the next release be available to ship?

Do you mean the next shipment of holsters? we will be shipping out next week, should be mid week. still lots of back orders to fill for our dealers and distributors, but within two weeks from now we should be fully caught up. :cheers:

saul

This past weekend I decided to bend the support arm so that the arm angles away from my body and does not dig into my leg as much. I followed the instructions Saul included here and it was a piece of cake. Much better now, solves the problem completely, and is an easy fix.

Do you mean the next shipment of holsters? we will be shipping out next week, should be mid week. still lots of back orders to fill for our dealers and distributors, but within two weeks from now we should be fully caught up. :cheers:

saul

That's good news. I have one on BO

saul

Hi Saul,

What is the difference between the STI/SVI Aluminum/Steel and Polymer "Insert Block Assemblies"?

thx ~David

Edited by Davidp1911

saul

Hi Saul,

What is the difference between the STI/SVI Aluminum/Steel and Polymer "Insert Block Assemblies"?

thx ~David

HI David,

No, there is only ONE insert block for the STI. The STI Aluminum and plastic frames have the same dimensions on the trigger guard - so we need only one insert for them.

The SV guns, on the other hand, have a slightly thinner trigger guard on the Aluminum/steel than they do on the plastic, which is why we offer an "STI or SV plastic" insert and a "SV Steel/Alu" insert.

Hope this is clear

Saul

The tension bolt popped out of my holster last week while I was practicing (the bolt really needs to be another 1/8 or 3/16 longer Saul.) Naturally the black colored spring flew off when the bolt came out and I couldn't find it despite looking for a good 15 minutes. :( Fortunately, I had a pack of miscellaneous small springs that I bought from Ace Hardware. One of the springs fit perfectly around the bolt and against the shoulder but was about twice the length required. A quick application of a clipper and now I have two springs for the next time the bolt drops out. So if any of you have a similar experience, try Ace Hardware.

Of course, when I was practicing on the same bay and location yesterday, my practice partner found the spring when we were picking up brass. :surprise: Now I have three of the little buggers! :)

The tension bolt popped out of my holster last week while I was practicing (the bolt really needs to be another 1/8 or 3/16 longer Saul.) Naturally the black colored spring flew off when the bolt came out and I couldn't find it despite looking for a good 15 minutes. sad.gif Fortunately, I had a pack of miscellaneous small springs that I bought from Ace Hardware. One of the springs fit perfectly around the bolt and against the shoulder but was about twice the length required. A quick application of a clipper and now I have two springs for the next time the bolt drops out. So if any of you have a similar experience, try Ace Hardware.

Of course, when I was practicing on the same bay and location yesterday, my practice partner found the spring when we were picking up brass. surprise.gif Now I have three of the little buggers! smile.gif

This appears to be a concern. Anyone else have the same issue? What if that happened at a Major while you were out of town? and no Ace nearby?

The tension bolt popped out of my holster last week while I was practicing (the bolt really needs to be another 1/8 or 3/16 longer Saul.) Naturally the black colored spring flew off when the bolt came out and I couldn't find it despite looking for a good 15 minutes. sad.gif Fortunately, I had a pack of miscellaneous small springs that I bought from Ace Hardware. One of the springs fit perfectly around the bolt and against the shoulder but was about twice the length required. A quick application of a clipper and now I have two springs for the next time the bolt drops out. So if any of you have a similar experience, try Ace Hardware.

Of course, when I was practicing on the same bay and location yesterday, my practice partner found the spring when we were picking up brass. surprise.gif Now I have three of the little buggers! smile.gif

This appears to be a concern. Anyone else have the same issue? What if that happened at a Major while you were out of town? and no Ace nearby?

While not 100% to the point, somewhat related, at least a way to get a longer bolt if you wanted... And an option to remove the large knob sticking out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108035

Alan

I've used the hoster for two practice sessions now with my deluxe, sparing-no-expense Ace Hardware after-market custom cut spring. It is noticeably softer than the stock spring. The holster performs much better using this spring and a couple of sqirts of Armor All in the plastic block assembly. Because the spring is weaker, the tension bolt can be screwed further into the body and losing the bolt is much less likely.

Hi XD Niner,

sorry to read your experience of loosing your bolt. first time I have heard of that. you must have been running it completely extended out.. I usually use mine so it is just through the square nut, but no further, and have never had this happen, or hear of it happening. but of course, yes, it is possible.

We will probably make the screw longer in the next run, although this means it will protrude a little out the inside of the holster. that of course is just a cosmetic thing though.

Running a lighter spring - yes, you can do that - but always make sure you have some pressure on that aluminum plate which pushing onto the slide lock. the slide lock must have pressure on it to ensure that it slides out to the left as you draw the gun up, otherwise the holster wont release as it should. I experimented with lighter springs, and then had this one custom made, as it gave a better range of adjustment to the tension knob. the lighter version we used while testing worked just fine, its just that there was not enough noticeable increase in resistance as we screwed it down...

thanks

Saul

Hi XD Niner,

sorry to read your experience of loosing your bolt. first time I have heard of that. you must have been running it completely extended out.. I usually use mine so it is just through the square nut, but no further, and have never had this happen, or hear of it happening. but of course, yes, it is possible.

I had the same happenning to me (tension knob ejected several times and lost the spring) and I wrote about it here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101251&view=findpost&p=1226311 (I know, long and boring post :P ). Manufactured my own spring from recoil spring.

I agree, the combination of the original spring lenght/tension and screw lenght - at least on my RM - makes the holster prone to such accidents. Very easy fix - slightly longer screw is needed.

Anyone try a DARM on a Caspian Hi-cap? I've got one along with a few Para's that have a squared trigger-guard ala Canyon Creek and would love to give this holster a test drive. Based on a few emails I've shared with Saul, my Para's may be out of luck. I figure that there are now a few out there, someone might have had a chance to tinker or find the right model.

Thanks,

Brian

So I know most of the people are ranting & raving on how good the holster is (not saying its not), but the question have is has anyone ever been DQ'd with the DARM??? I know that with the ghost holster it was a common problem for the gun to just fall out. Just looking for a little more feedback before I make my purchase!

Anyone try a DARM on a Caspian Hi-cap? I've got one along with a few Para's that have a squared trigger-guard ala Canyon Creek and would love to give this holster a test drive. Based on a few emails I've shared with Saul, my Para's may be out of luck. I figure that there are now a few out there, someone might have had a chance to tinker or find the right model.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

I'm afraid not. you really do need a good fit to the trigger guard to make this holster work... if we had such a caspian frame here at DAA we could probably make an insert for it, but, we simply do not have such a gun here in Holland, which makes it almost impossible to do. sorry.

saul