Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Race Master Holster Review

nhglyn

Received my new Double Alpha Race Master holster (STI) and belt from CED this morning. First impressions:

1. Design and construction is excellent. First class workmanship all the way.

2. Double Alpha two piece belt that came with it is also excellent. Inner belt seems a little more comfortable than others and the outer belt is very stiff, no torquing when the gun is drawn..

3. The fit of the belt hangers is very tight and it took quite some effort to get the holster on the outer belt. Once on, and tightened, it is not going to move.

4. All adjustments of the holster itself are easily done. Most can be done with holster on, the only one that really can't is the height (up/down) adjustment. All tools necessary come with the holster.

5. The locking mechanism is awesome. Gun slips in, locks in place, and it is rock solid. No movement at all.

6. Drawing from this holster is better than any I have ever used. I have had CR Speed, Ghost, etc. and this is far above either of those in terms of ease of draw. There is also a tension screw adjustment that allows you to increase or decrease the resistance of the draw.

So, first impressions are all excellent, there doesn't seem to be a downside to this holster. Will work with it at the range tomorrow but I think it is a keeper!

I will be curious to hear the thoughts of others as they arrive. Post your comments.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the Ribas I had wouldn't even hold the gun in when it was unlocked (like, any small bump, and the gun was on the ground, regardless of tension setting), I'd say it sounds 3000% better... :lol:

Mine is on the way. I'll be doing a full review and writeup when it arrives ;)

Considering the Ribas I had wouldn't even hold the gun in when it was unlocked (like, any small bump, and the gun was on the ground, regardless of tension setting), I'd say it sounds 3000% better... :lol:

Isn't the tension screw on the ribas supposed to help that? :huh:

i just tested my ribas with the tension knob cranked all the way and turning the holster upside down, the gun won't fall out.

With zero tension it falls right out.

I'm hoping the DAA holster will be a cheaper and easier to find alternative than the ribas if i need to buy a replacement.

Isn't the tension screw on the ribas supposed to help that? :huh:

That's the theory... In the one I had, the gun would bump right out with the tension all the way up...

i just tested my ribas with the tension knob cranked all the way and turning the holster upside down, the gun won't fall out.

With zero tension it falls right out.

Then you've got one that works... They seem to have rather spotty quality control (I think GManBart talked about this in a thread on the holster at some point)... certainly not worth risk some $300-400 just to find out you got the crappy one...

Then you've got one that works... They seem to have rather spotty quality control (I think GManBart talked about this in a thread on the holster at some point)... certainly not worth risk some $300-400 just to find out you got the crappy one...

Actually, I have owned at least one of the Ghost, various Safrilands, limcat, and have 4 of the Ribas Holsters of various vintages. The Ribas is actually the one with the MOST consistant quality of the bunch. I have not heard one real gripe about the design, function, or quality concerning the Ribas holsters yet. Except for you and Bart, of course. If the tension is adjusted right, the Ribas is not letting go. Have you contacted the retailer you bought from concerning your one bad one? Sounds like it is broken.

Except for you and Bart, of course. If the tension is adjusted right, the Ribas is not letting go. Have you contacted the retailer you bought from concerning your one bad one? Sounds like it is broken.

It may have been broken - I sent it back immediately to where it came from. Another shooter I know ordered a brand new one from SSI. It wasn't much better - we could get it to fall out pretty easily with the tension fully on, as well, though it took a little more effort than it did with the one I had.

Considering the Ribas I had wouldn't even hold the gun in when it was unlocked (like, any small bump,

I use a CR speed it works, that said, isn't that what it is supposed to do when it is unlocked? It is only ulocked for a second, then the buzzer sounds.

Since I've got three Ribas (and owned four) to compare I'm pretty certain that yours had some "issues". I'm sure you've seen the video I posted of me shaking my Limited gun up and down in the Ribas with the tension set high, but without the lock engaged...didn't come out. I got one that had insufficient tension and traced it to a bit too much finish work on one part. I'd call that a manufacturing error, rather than a design error.

Regardless I look forward to getting my RM in the next few days and checking it out :)

Actually, I have owned at least one of the Ghost, various Safrilands, limcat, and have 4 of the Ribas Holsters of various vintages. The Ribas is actually the one with the MOST consistant quality of the bunch. I have not heard one real gripe about the design, function, or quality concerning the Ribas holsters yet. Except for you and Bart, of course. If the tension is adjusted right, the Ribas is not letting go. Have you contacted the retailer you bought from concerning your one bad one? Sounds like it is broken.

I've actually been a huge fan of the Ribas, but I did get one that didn't provide enough tension...not even close. I know of at least a couple of other folks that have described the same issue.

I figured out what it was...when the folks assemble them, they have to grind/trim the bottom of one of the levers where it contacts the spring that provides tension. Those grinder/sander marks are on all of the four I've owned. They started simply grinding them way too much (like an eighth of an inch). Maybe new workers, new supplier...no idea, but their QC didn't catch it. I alerted the GR factory reps know, but I don't know what they did about it. I swapped levers, but a little bit of JB Weld followed with a little sanding/shaping/trimming would probably fix it perfectly.

Can't wait to check out my new RM and see how it stacks up!

OK Got the Race Master in about an hour ago:

First hint- remove the holster body :surprise:

from the belt hanger, then put belt into the

hanger-please dont use a vise at this point- the

belt fits VERY tight into the hanger! Reinstall

the two hanger retention bars onto the back side

of the hanger. And then reinstall the holster body.

Second hint- before you tighten the holster body,

adjust and tighten the rotation adj. screw-on the

support arm, as its

hard to tighten with the holster body snuged up.

Adjust everything else like you will-

And lets go RACING! :cheers:

Mine showed up on the front porch earlier today courtesy of UPS. I eagerly opened the box when I reached home after work.

The free belt of the right size was in the box with the holster. So far, so good. Both were ordered in red.

Then I opened the bubble bag with the holster. The first thing I noticed is that it is more of a dark burnt reddish-orange than the red shown on the CED catalog which accompanied it. It sure doesn't match the red on the belt. :angry2: The second thing I noticed is that the rear belt hangar retention bar and screws were missing. :angry2: I checked the bubble bag carefully but no joy. The third thing I noticed is that the anodizing near the upper screw to the rear bracket was missing. There about a quarter inch diameter bare aluminum spot overlapping the screw hole. :angry:

My guess is that this one was pulled out during the quality control process and was to be sent back for refinishing. The rear bar and screws were probably removed at that point. Unfortunately, it somehow shipped out and I am the unlucky recipient.

I'll call CED in the morning and I'm sure they'll stand behind the product and ship me a new one. I expect them to pony up for the return postage. It's just frustrating to look forward to a new holster for two months only to find out that the quality control system is inadequate. Hopefully, this is just a start-up issue and the other units will be fine.

So far I love everything about it except....I keep hitting the knuckle of my middle finger on the holster body during the draw. It seems that the body is wider than my Ghost and the relief is less. Anyone else having this problem or am I a freak of nature? :rolleyes:

I am thinking about breaking out the Dremell but I hate to booger up a new holster.

Got mine a couple of hours ago. :)

1) I have been a GR user for a couple of years. I love it, not a single complaint.

But the new RM is the $h!T !!!! Schweet!!!!

Every bit as secure as the GR when locked, with a somewhat more secure feeling when unlocked. Very smooth on the draw.

If there is a complaint, it is that I wish the lock was a little easier to find with my finger when Locking, That is easier with the GR. Unlocking is no problem finding it.

Now my only decision is, should I use it at the MS Classic this weekend.

Mark K.

I spoke with Charles H. at CED this morning. He said that the CNC machining on the holster bodies is done in Israel and that the final assembly is then done in the Netherlands. As Saul Kirsch mentioned in another thread, the Icelandic volcano eruption really screwed up their shipping schedule. Apparently the Netherlands crew worked like madmen (and madwomen?) to assemble the holsters and get them to the distributors. Unfortunately for me, the one I received apparently slipped through without the second bar and screw set.

Charles is going to ship me a set as soon as his second shipment of holsters arrives. That should be some time later this week - hopefully. They've been shipped but the delivery date is a bit uncertain. I guess I won't be using it at this week's match as I had planned.

CED only received about half of their initial order and that left a lot of their customers disappointed with a delayed delivery. For those of you who haven't received your holster through CED yet, it sounds like it will be at least next week.

I spoke with Charles H. at CED this morning. He said that the CNC machining on the holster bodies is done in Israel and that the final assembly is then done in the Netherlands. As Saul Kirsch mentioned in another thread, the Icelandic volcano eruption really screwed up their shipping schedule. Apparently the Netherlands crew worked like madmen (and madwomen?) to assemble the holsters and get them to the distributors. Unfortunately for me, the one I received apparently slipped through without the second bar and screw set.

Charles is going to ship me a set as soon as his second shipment of holsters arrives. That should be some time later this week - hopefully. They've been shipped but the delivery date is a bit uncertain. I guess I won't be using it at this week's match as I had planned.

CED only received about half of their initial order and that left a lot of their customers disappointed with a delayed delivery. For those of you who haven't received your holster through CED yet, it sounds like it will be at least next week.

HI XD Niner,

so sorry to read one of the retention bars was missing from you belt hanger. Can't imagine how that slipped through here. Charles already contact me about it, and we will certainly have spare parts off to him tomorrow. If he has any holsters left in stock, I suggest he pull one retention bar off and send it to you. But if not, it will be a couple of days.

You mention Anodize "missing" - I assume you mean under the screw of the retention bar? this is on all holster - you need to hold a part being anodized, and at that point the chemical process will leave a small patch un-anodized. that is why we do it under the screw, where it is no visible once the bar is in place. Of course - the bar being missing - no excuse for that.... my apologies.

Saul Kirsch

Well, it's here safe and sound. I like the platform and it keeps the gun from rocking...good solid fit there. It has less draw tension, set as high as I could get it, than any of my GRs, by a significant amount. I even took the insert out to check that everything was lined up properly. This part really surprised me.

It has less range of adjustment at the bottom where the hanger meets the holster, but probably enough to find a workable position for most folks...it's more of a V shaped range fore and aft (viewed from above) and in and out (closer and farther from your body). Since you can adjust the angle of the hanger, it helps add some additional range fore and aft, but it isn't like the virtually unlimited range you get with the ball/socket/heim joint style on the GR.

The metal is nicely machined, but there are some tool mark patterns on it (totally non-functional and removing this would only raise the price). The logo/lettering seems a bit blurry and the anodizing is pretty flat so it makes it appear thin...again, this is purely cosmetic and I only mention it so folks know what to expect. I'd rather go light on the cosmetics and keep the price reasonable if I was marketing it, so it's not a knock, in any way :)

The hanger attachment is solid and should lock it into place nicely on most any belt...to be fair, I added a bit of velcro on the inside of my GRs to get them that secure (once they're in place I don't want holsters or pouches moving since I line them up off one spot on my pants).

I'd probably use it if I didn't already have something with a greater range of motion and more retention, with the retention being the significant issue for me. R,

Parts Fit:Great to excellant. Insert fits tight and mounting,sliding, and rotating pieces are smooth.

Finish: Good to great. Red color is not bright red but anodizing job is done well and not blotche.

Drawing: Release is smooth and nice. Tension adjustment is nice and even, as you adjust it it's consistant and does not go from zero to shoulder seperation with a small adjustment.

Retention Unlocked: You could put this thing on a hula dancer and the gun will not fall out. Turning fast is no problem. Fast reward movement stays put. Jump up and down and it is still in there.

Retention Locked: Rotator Cuff damage and a big wedgeeeee.

Overall my first impression is top quality, well thought out and tested and should become one of the most sought after new products this shooting season. The price point is right there with others and in my opinion is an advantage. I don't think you will find a better product that has been desinged and tested by someone who truly cares about our sport for this amount of money and is willing to work on it to make it better. Now to get out to the range and use it!!!!

Edited by jrb06

Retention Unlocked: You could put this thing on a hula dancer and the gun will not fall out. Turning fast is no problem. Fast reward movement stays put. Jump up and down and it is still in there.

Could you turn yours upside down and see what it takes to get the gun to release? Mine pops right out, so that tells me it's more stability from the block than actual tension, holding things in place. With my GR I can shake the gun/holster combo and it'll stay put.

I'm worried something is wrong with mine as it's got very little tension. When I said I can shake the holster, unlocked, upside down, this is what I was talking about:

mine will be to me on friday and i was going to keep using my ribas since i know how to use it and it works but i just might have to break it out on sunday...

i am really impressed by the customer service mr. saul is providing for this new product and by the responses here it sure looks like the development time was well spent. kudos to double alpha! :cheers:

I got mine (shipped to Hong Kong) last week. Love the adjustability compared to my old holster (CR Speed), and the fit is just right - very stable. It holds the gun nice and solid while turning or jumping, but releases incredibly smoothly on the draw. I tried turning it upside down like G-ManBart suggested and the gun did fall out. But then again I've never found myself upside down in a match... ;)

Just one thing: with my old CR Speed, I got in the habit of indexing my hand by sliding up the back of the holster, but with the Race Master I found the sharp ridges on the lock were chewing up my middle finger. A few careful swipes with a file took care of the problem - now it's perfect!

It has less range of adjustment at the bottom where the hanger meets the holster, but probably enough to find a workable position for most folks...it's more of a V shaped range fore and aft (viewed from above) and in and out (closer and farther from your body). Since you can adjust the angle of the hanger, it helps add some additional range fore and aft, but it isn't like the virtually unlimited range you get with the ball/socket/heim joint style on the GR.

Gman Bart,

thanks for your feedback. Our holster does have a ball joint - and it does allow movement in all directions when unlocked - not just left and right - are you sure you unscrewed those lock screws far enough? the range is limited, yes, although it is enough I think. And it is in ALL directions not just left and right - but you must unlock BOTH of the set screws to free the ball-joint to move.

We played for months with various designs of locking up that joint. I think the most important thing is that the settings are rock solid - and eventually after much testing decided the only way to ensure this was using these pointed set screws (two of them, as an "overkill") which bite into the aluminum ball joint and lock it solid when set in the right position.

thanks

Saul