Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Race Master Holster Review

nhglyn

So I know most of the people are ranting & raving on how good the holster is (not saying its not), but the question have is has anyone ever been DQ'd with the DARM??? I know that with the ghost holster it was a common problem for the gun to just fall out. Just looking for a little more feedback before I make my purchase!

It would be possible to get DQed with any holster, if you try hard enough, or are unlucky enough. But I can say that I doubt you will find a holster which offers you a more secure hold on the gun while holstered.

I am sure someone will get DQed at some point with a Race Master holster, but, I suspect that it will more a case of human error than holster failure...;)

saul

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saul - Any ETA on the lefty versions of the Race Master? By any chance, will the glock version work with an M&P?

I am expecting a first sample of the RH version within 10 days. and already have scheduled production for some of those, soon as the prototype is approved. I expect to have the LH version shipping in August. Am thinking of doing only BLACK on LH - how do you feel about that? stocking colors on the LH might be too costly.

As for the M&P - we have actually started work on an insert for it. found it would require a larger insert, one which protrudes a little on the front end of the holster (would be about 4mm). have ordered material for this, and will be testing shortly. I hope to be offering an M&P model this summer as well. Don't even try a glock insert - although the width of the trigger guard is similar, the contour of the front of the trigger guard is so different it would not come close to working

Saul

I am sure someone will get DQed at some point with a Race Master holster, but, I suspect that it will more a case of human error than holster failure...;)

After using mine for a couple of weeks, and going through a lot of over the top trials to try to get the holster to drop a gun, I'd agree with Saul on this point without reservation...

BTW - I'll have a second review out soon detailing impressions of the holster after a couple of weeks of use...

Saul - Any ETA on the lefty versions of the Race Master? By any chance, will the glock version work with an M&P?

I am expecting a first sample of the RH version within 10 days.

Of course I meant LH version.... It has been a long day indeed... :rolleyes:

Hi XD Niner,

sorry to read your experience of loosing your bolt. first time I have heard of that. you must have been running it completely extended out.. I usually use mine so it is just through the square nut, but no further, and have never had this happen, or hear of it happening. but of course, yes, it is possible.

I had the same happenning to me (tension knob ejected several times and lost the spring) and I wrote about it here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101251&view=findpost&p=1226311 (I know, long and boring post :P ). Manufactured my own spring from recoil spring.

I agree, the combination of the original spring lenght/tension and screw lenght - at least on my RM - makes the holster prone to such accidents. Very easy fix - slightly longer screw is needed.

Hi,

Actually, I have already made the decision to make the next run of tension bolts a little longer to resolve this issue once and for all. We may even try to incorporate some kind of locking ring to make it impossible for the tension knob to come out unless you first remove the ring. I have not heard of too many cases of this happened, and I have never had it happen to me or anyone I have seen using the holster, but I agree it would be good to address this - and we will. And I am grateful for everyones feedback.

I do think though, that perhaps this occurs to those who are running the holster with the tension knob too close to the end of it's range. that should not be necessary to achieve a very light draw. perhaps, if you feel you need to loosen that bolt so very much - you should look to loosen the draw resistance another way: sometimes the cut for the trigger guard is just a fraction too loose. using a file to remove a little material from the inside of the outer side of the holster's insert will make a world of difference, and then you will have the loose draw you want with that bolt several turns in. Another option is to use a little silicon spray, or oil in the holster's moving part - that too will make it very loose... just a few tips to try.

thanks again for all the positive, and constructive feedback,

Saul

I am expecting a first sample of the RH version within 10 days. and already have scheduled production for some of those, soon as the prototype is approved. I expect to have the LH version shipping in August. Am thinking of doing only BLACK on LH - how do you feel about that? stocking colors on the LH might be too costly.

As for the M&P - we have actually started work on an insert for it. found it would require a larger insert, one which protrudes a little on the front end of the holster (would be about 4mm). have ordered material for this, and will be testing shortly. I hope to be offering an M&P model this summer as well. Don't even try a glock insert - although the width of the trigger guard is similar, the contour of the front of the trigger guard is so different it would not come close to working

Saul

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't have any problem with black and its a good universal color until you see more demand. What would be the best way to see when a left hand M&P version is available?

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't have any problem with black and its a good universal color until you see more demand. What would be the best way to see when a left hand M&P version is available?

HI,

Just check on our websites, or here on our forum board. we will also post to our mailing list and FB friends, so perhaps join those.

saul

• 1 month later...

Saul, speaking as one of the lefties out here black is fine by me.

Hi All,

The Race Master LH model is available on: http://www.doublealpha.biz/ipsc-holsters-rigs/holsters/race-master-holster-left-hand

We also produced our very first revolver model for S&W 625 - http://www.doublealpha.biz/ipsc-holsters-rigs/holsters/race-master-holster-revolver

Thanks.

i have been using the RM for three months now with a 1911, sti and a caspian hicap. the holster is easily the best i have used. but this is not about the holster, it's about sauls service and support of his products.

my caspian is an old model with round (1911) trigger guard and the 1911 insert was just a little loose on the slimmer caspian trigger guard.

i know saul went to a lot of trouble to get a thinner cutter and made me an undersize insert. after a little fitting the caspian now fits nice and snug and i'm ready to go off to the world action pistol champs in australia next month.

saul, you have gone above and beyond, and i thank you for it.

peter

i have been using the RM for three months now with a 1911, sti and a caspian hicap. the holster is easily the best i have used. but this is not about the holster, it's about sauls service and support of his products.

my caspian is an old model with round (1911) trigger guard and the 1911 insert was just a little loose on the slimmer caspian trigger guard.

i know saul went to a lot of trouble to get a thinner cutter and made me an undersize insert. after a little fitting the caspian now fits nice and snug and i'm ready to go off to the world action pistol champs in australia next month.

saul, you have gone above and beyond, and i thank you for it.

peter

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your post, and happy to read it is working as it should.

that extra long 2.5mm cutter has actually proven itself useful in other ways too since then...:)

saul

The tension bolt popped out of my holster last week while I was practicing (the bolt really needs to be another 1/8 or 3/16 longer Saul.) Naturally the black colored spring flew off when the bolt came out and I couldn't find it despite looking for a good 15 minutes. sad.gif Fortunately, I had a pack of miscellaneous small springs that I bought from Ace Hardware. One of the springs fit perfectly around the bolt and against the shoulder but was about twice the length required. A quick application of a clipper and now I have two springs for the next time the bolt drops out. So if any of you have a similar experience, try Ace Hardware.

Of course, when I was practicing on the same bay and location yesterday, my practice partner found the spring when we were picking up brass. surprise.gif Now I have three of the little buggers! smile.gif

This appears to be a concern. Anyone else have the same issue? What if that happened at a Major while you were out of town? and no Ace nearby?

I tend to pack a spare holster and a few spare mag pouches to any major.....

If I lost or forgot my belt, I could finish IDPA style.....

I have been using the Double Alpha Race Master holster since May for Production and Standard Divisions and have placed a review of it with images on my web site. I have been using it for training, at matches at home and abroad and in the training courses I run and I am very pleased with it. You can access the article via the menu bar on the home page.

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi XD Niner,

sorry to read your experience of loosing your bolt. first time I have heard of that. you must have been running it completely extended out.. I usually use mine so it is just through the square nut, but no further, and have never had this happen, or hear of it happening. but of course, yes, it is possible.

I had the same happenning to me (tension knob ejected several times and lost the spring) and I wrote about it here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101251&view=findpost&p=1226311 (I know, long and boring post :P ). Manufactured my own spring from recoil spring.

I agree, the combination of the original spring lenght/tension and screw lenght - at least on my RM - makes the holster prone to such accidents. Very easy fix - slightly longer screw is needed.

Hi,

Actually, I have already made the decision to make the next run of tension bolts a little longer to resolve this issue once and for all. We may even try to incorporate some kind of locking ring to make it impossible for the tension knob to come out unless you first remove the ring. I have not heard of too many cases of this happened, and I have never had it happen to me or anyone I have seen using the holster, but I agree it would be good to address this - and we will. And I am grateful for everyones feedback.

I do think though, that perhaps this occurs to those who are running the holster with the tension knob too close to the end of it's range. that should not be necessary to achieve a very light draw. perhaps, if you feel you need to loosen that bolt so very much - you should look to loosen the draw resistance another way: sometimes the cut for the trigger guard is just a fraction too loose. using a file to remove a little material from the inside of the outer side of the holster's insert will make a world of difference, and then you will have the loose draw you want with that bolt several turns in. Another option is to use a little silicon spray, or oil in the holster's moving part - that too will make it very loose... just a few tips to try.

thanks again for all the positive, and constructive feedback,

Saul

When I get my replacement spring and tension screw I plan on using a little Teflon tape (plumbers tape) on the threads. I'm hoping that will help me avoid losing them again.

• 1 month later...

Soooo...

How does everyone like their racemasters after shooting nearly a whole season with them? I try to be practical about my gear, and since I only have 1 year on my WSMII

I decided to get as much enjoyment out of it as possible.

How are they holding up? Everyone still like it? Any reservations, complaints, design flaws etc?

Thanks

JL

I just bought one of these for a Glock 35 and I have to say that I am not pleased.

After much Dremeling, I can finally get the Insert Slide Lock to catch the trigger guard perfectly. But I still cannot get the gun to go all the way down into the holster since the trigger guard + the insert slide lock are simply too wide to go all the way down (the activation lever goes down about 75% of the way and the gun is not locked). I figure the solution is to Dremel the inside of the insert slide lock (which I have been doing).

The Glock trigger guard is also so wide that it has a fairly hard time just getting into the mouth of the Insert Block Assembly (I guess this will have to Dremeled too). The trigger guard also sticks out on the bottom I think it will prevent the Glock from locking in (although I am not sure because the gun won't go down that far).

Very frustrating.

I hope that DAA will send me another insert block so that I can use this with another gun should this Dremel project not pan out.

BTW--I own eight gen 3 glocks and NONE of them fit despite them ALL having the same size trigger guard.

Edited by Nemesis Lead

Hi JL,

I've been using mine for just over a year now (mine is one of the early prototypes) and no problems at all, I love it.

Not sure you will want my "objective" opinion though....;):rolleyes: LOL

thanks for all the positive comments

Nemesis Lead - you and I am in email contact and I am helping you sort out your problem. from the sound of it, you got the wrong insert, but you could wait until we resolve you issues before posting negative reviewed on the forum, no?!

anyway, good shooting all

saul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JL,

just small things, more related to streamlining production and assembly than function on the range, that has not changed much from the first samples...

We continue to improve the product as we go - and several small refinements have been made during the past year to keep improving it, many based on customer feedback on this forum and others. we just got in a new production of parts, which include many small improvements, for instance:

1. the new safeties will prevent much of the movement up which was still possible when safety was on in earlier models.

2. the ball joint socket has been modified to allow more range of movement downwards - almost an extra full inch, and that without lengthening the rod at all.

3. the tension screw head has been made a little smaller, and the OAL a little longer, so it is less lightly to come out even when left loose

4. a bunch of small refinements to make assembly easier and faster.

Great to read all the positive reviews - thanks for that,

saul