Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Race Master Holster Review

nhglyn

Retention Unlocked: You could put this thing on a hula dancer and the gun will not fall out. Turning fast is no problem. Fast reward movement stays put. Jump up and down and it is still in there.

Could you turn yours upside down and see what it takes to get the gun to release? Mine pops right out, so that tells me it's more stability from the block than actual tension, holding things in place. With my GR I can shake the gun/holster combo and it'll stay put.

I'm worried something is wrong with mine as it's got very little tension. When I said I can shake the holster, unlocked, upside down, this is what I was talking about:

WOW, I can not do that with my GR holster even with the tension cranked all the way up. I guess I need to check for a fix.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has less range of adjustment at the bottom where the hanger meets the holster, but probably enough to find a workable position for most folks...it's more of a V shaped range fore and aft (viewed from above) and in and out (closer and farther from your body). Since you can adjust the angle of the hanger, it helps add some additional range fore and aft, but it isn't like the virtually unlimited range you get with the ball/socket/heim joint style on the GR.

Gman Bart,

thanks for your feedback. Our holster does have a ball joint - and it does allow movement in all directions when unlocked - not just left and right - are you sure you unscrewed those lock screws far enough? the range is limited, yes, although it is enough I think. And it is in ALL directions not just left and right - but you must unlock BOTH of the set screws to free the ball-joint to move.

We played for months with various designs of locking up that joint. I think the most important thing is that the settings are rock solid - and eventually after much testing decided the only way to ensure this was using these pointed set screws (two of them, as an "overkill") which bite into the aluminum ball joint and lock it solid when set in the right position.

thanks

Saul

Hey Saul,

Yes, I did loosen both set screws, and meant to mention that I thought using two was a nice touch. I definitely saw both left right and fore and aft range of motion, and wouldn't want anyone to think I was suggesting otherwise, but it's not the easiest thing to describe. I'm sure most folks won't have any trouble finding a good position with the range available. I was just trying to compare what I'd describe as a ball joint in a cage as opposed to a ball joint in a socket, but didn't think of that analogy until just now :)

WOW, I can not do that with my GR holster even with the tension cranked all the way up. I guess I need to check for a fix.

That's an older GR that has a bit more tension that the more recent two I have, but not a huge amount more. I'll try to write up a description of the fix (it's easy) for the newer models that don't have enough tension....give me a while and I'll forward it to you (might take a day or so to get to). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Thanks Bart, I know we had talked a while back about it, but it was pushed to the back of my to do list. With my 11.5 week vacation starting next week, these projects are moving to the top of the list. Along with doing my first grip to put on my first open gun build.

I spoke with Charles H. at CED this morning. He said that the CNC machining on the holster bodies is done in Israel and that the final assembly is then done in the Netherlands. As Saul Kirsch mentioned in another thread, the Icelandic volcano eruption really screwed up their shipping schedule. Apparently the Netherlands crew worked like madmen (and madwomen?) to assemble the holsters and get them to the distributors. Unfortunately for me, the one I received apparently slipped through without the second bar and screw set.

Charles is going to ship me a set as soon as his second shipment of holsters arrives. That should be some time later this week - hopefully. They've been shipped but the delivery date is a bit uncertain. I guess I won't be using it at this week's match as I had planned.

CED only received about half of their initial order and that left a lot of their customers disappointed with a delayed delivery. For those of you who haven't received your holster through CED yet, it sounds like it will be at least next week.

HI XD Niner,

so sorry to read one of the retention bars was missing from you belt hanger. Can't imagine how that slipped through here. Charles already contact me about it, and we will certainly have spare parts off to him tomorrow. If he has any holsters left in stock, I suggest he pull one retention bar off and send it to you. But if not, it will be a couple of days.

You mention Anodize "missing" - I assume you mean under the screw of the retention bar? this is on all holster - you need to hold a part being anodized, and at that point the chemical process will leave a small patch un-anodized. that is why we do it under the screw, where it is no visible once the bar is in place. Of course - the bar being missing - no excuse for that.... my apologies.

Saul Kirsch

Thanks for the update Saul. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for you CED had already shipped every unit they had received. Obviously there is a ton of shooters out there who are more than ready to embrace a new holster design, me included. I had no doubt that you would stand squarely behind this DA product as you do all the rest.

I bought two, one for a friend and one for me. I like how it holds the pistol and it is rock solid on the belt. The allen bolts (belt hanger) start to round (strip heads) once you start to tighten, be careful.

This is my first holster like this. I have tried a few different adjustments now but the support arm digs into my hip. I am 6'1" and 198 lbs. How does anyone heavier or a female adjust this so it doesn't dig? How are you having it on your belt, Pics please. I like the holster but my 2 DOH's don't even touch my hip or leg when I sit or stand.

post-14235-127372612813_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update Saul. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for you CED had already shipped every unit they had received. Obviously there is a ton of shooters out there who are more than ready to embrace a new holster design, me included. I had no doubt that you would stand squarely behind this DA product as you do all the rest.

Hi XD Niner,

Yes, charles told me last night that he had not single piece in house he could strip for you...

we have been promoting this holster since the Shot shot - and there was serious interest and a lot of orders, so we are really pressed hard to fill them.

We will be sending Charles a new shipment tomorrow by UPS, which he should have on Monday. I will include spare parts for him. and I am sure he will send off the missing part you need immediately.

Sorry for this delay, I can imagine you are frustrated about it. My apologies again.

Saul

This is my first holster like this. I have tried a few different adjustments now but the support arm digs into my hip. How does anyone heavier or a female adjust this so it doesn't dig?

This is a common issue with holsters of this design, the weight distribution of the gun in the holster will cause the holster to cant inwards towards the thigh. It's more apparent when the gun is loaded (and therefore heavier). Another contributing factor is how low the gun sits, the further down the adjustment arm it goes, the more the cant.

With my Speedsec I raised the gun a little higher to lessen the apparent weight.

This is my first holster like this. I have tried a few different adjustments now but the support arm digs into my hip. How does anyone heavier or a female adjust this so it doesn't dig?

This is a common issue with holsters of this design, the weight distribution of the gun in the holster will cause the holster to cant inwards towards the thigh. It's more apparent when the gun is loaded (and therefore heavier). Another contributing factor is how low the gun sits, the further down the adjustment arm it goes, the more the cant.

With my Speedsec I raised the gun a little higher to lessen the apparent weight.

This is why I'm surprised that they don't all have a pad, of some sort, on them like the Ribas and Ghost. Even though it won't stop contact from happening, at least it will be a larger, rounded/smooth surface. R,

I added a pad to my holster, I think it came from a Ghost originally. It's a big issue for me, without that pad I'd have a bruise on my leg after shooting.

And with such nice legs we can't have that happening.... :roflol:

And with such nice legs we can't have that happening.... :roflol:

I'm searching for a suitable emoticon... I'll get back to you

First the Lady Ga Ga video and now this... sheesh!

:roflol:

Thanks for the feed back. You get something and you are like "is this a dealbreaker or what" but if that is just what you have to deal with then I am not alone in just accepting. I will evaluate whether I can live with it after a day at the range. I will continue to play with it and maybe raise it a litle and see how it feels.

The website says it is steel and aluminum parts. Do you think the arm is steel and could be bent(flared out).

The website says it is steel and aluminum parts. Do you think the arm is steel and could be bent(flared out).

Bear in mind there is a maximum distance that the gun can be from the belt. There may be some option to flare it out but probably not enough to make a difference with the max. offset.

One option may be a spacer mounted just below the belt to push the holster out a little, you probably would not feel it as much there and it could be enough to reduce the pressure on the bottom of the holster. I just thought of that while typing, I may actually try it myself.

Another option would be to attached a thin aluminium plate to the inside of the belt mount. This would prevent the holster from canting in and would be bendable to adjust the amount of cant if required. It would be a cheap fix for the issue.

post-293-127379129474_thumb.jpg

Edited by BritinUSA

Thanks for the feed back. You get something and you are like "is this a dealbreaker or what" but if that is just what you have to deal with then I am not alone in just accepting. I will evaluate whether I can live with it after a day at the range. I will continue to play with it and maybe raise it a litle and see how it feels.

Hi,

I read your comments with interest. As others have mentioned, this is not uncommon - but that is not to say it should be accepted. while testing and deciding on the design of the holster, we had 8 or 10 shooters using them - and only one really complained about this. Others, myself included do not have a problem. could be because that after years of having a holster leaning against one's leg you just learn to live with it...:)

I did consider adding a pad, but that just makes the thing so much bulkier, and then again, it still leans on your leg.

Here are some suggestions: first, did you try to adjust the support arm so that it is in the forward position? From your photo it seems like it is centered? Forward is more comfortable.

Another option, as others have suggested is to add a pad,

And yet a third option - be it a little "radical" is to bend the support arm. I would only suggest this after you try it for a day on the range and come to realize it really bothers you. I can tell you that I have worn this holster for full days at recent matches - and found it more comfortable than my previous one...

Bending the support arm is actually something we have done here while experimenting with the design. You can see the attached pictures to make this cealerer. Please note the following:

1. the arm is aluminum - but it is designed not to flex (profile made in a specific manner to prevent flex) so it does take considerable force to bend it. I was able to bend one by hand, with the tip held in a vice, but it did take ALLOT of effort. You could use a rubber mallet if you must - but by hand would be better. put something in the vice's jawes to prevent damage to the holster part.

2. you can expect to see some damage to the anodize on the arm in the point of bending. But that is cosmetic only.

3. Don't bend much!!! You will be surprised how little you need to bend it to get it WAY away from you leg at its tip. Less is better than more.

4. be sure you leave the ball-joint assembled on the rod before you bend it - as once you do bend it you will not be able to slide that ball joint assembly off (or on, if you left it off by mistake...)

post-3889-127384334936_thumb.jpg. post-3889-127384336341_thumb.jpg post-3889-127384339098_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Saul Kirsch

Looks like an easy fix for the problem, though as I mentioned above I would be careful to ensure that the gun remains within the max. distance from the belt as per the rule book.

This is only a problem that affects a few people, generally those with hips that are significantly wider than their waist, it's been an issue for me with every holster that I've ever owned, they all come down to a trade-off between reliability and comfort.

I've never had a race-holster that I could wear all day.

Saul

Thanks for the detailed instruction on getting a better fit. I did find a sweet spot so far by moving the support arm forward (like you recomended) and the hanger back a little. I am now able to sit holstered. I will add some padding. This seems like it should be good and it if it isn't, I will try the third option you provided.

It is a good holster and I like all the adjustments. I literally put the gun exactly where I wanted with no restriction coming from adjustment. I will also measure for the inner belt 2 inch rule. I cannot believe how easy the gun comes out when you grab it but it wont budge when I jumped up and down with it unlocked. Note - I almost got a wedgie trying to do a hands above shoulders draw when it was locked, and it didn't/wouldn't come out. I will learn fast.

excellent. happy to hear you like it, and it sits better now. I have yet to see someone not prefer the forward position of the support rod - thought of machining the belt hanger so that it would hold the arm ONLY in that forward position, but then of course someone would want it back - and it would be be ambidextrous - and we do a left hand version coming which will utilize the same hanger. Enjoy your new holster - thanks for choosing my product.

saul

It has less range of adjustment at the bottom where the hanger meets the holster, but probably enough to find a workable position for most folks...it's more of a V shaped range fore and aft (viewed from above) and in and out (closer and farther from your body). Since you can adjust the angle of the hanger, it helps add some additional range fore and aft, but it isn't like the virtually unlimited range you get with the ball/socket/heim joint style on the GR.

Gman Bart,

thanks for your feedback. Our holster does have a ball joint - and it does allow movement in all directions when unlocked - not just left and right - are you sure you unscrewed those lock screws far enough? the range is limited, yes, although it is enough I think. And it is in ALL directions not just left and right - but you must unlock BOTH of the set screws to free the ball-joint to move.

We played for months with various designs of locking up that joint. I think the most important thing is that the settings are rock solid - and eventually after much testing decided the only way to ensure this was using these pointed set screws (two of them, as an "overkill") which bite into the aluminum ball joint and lock it solid when set in the right position.

thanks

Saul

I received my AA Race Master yesterday and just cannot fit it in my AA belt, how do you solve this? The belt is obviously wider than the hanger, I was even thinking about cutting part of the belt, can anyone explain how they did it. Thanks Jose

I received my AA Race Master yesterday and just cannot fit it in my AA belt, how do you solve this? The belt is obviously wider than the hanger, I was even thinking about cutting part of the belt, can anyone explain how they did it. Thanks Jose

Hi Jose,

as I mentioned to you by email too, it will fit - but it is a tight fit, purposely so, so that once assembled it cannot move around at all. the belt edges are fabric, and can be squeezed in, you do not need to cut your belt!

just decide first on the position you want the holster on the belt, remove the brackets from the belt hanger and press hard to get the belt into the groove in the belt hanger. if need be, you can use a plastic or rubber mallet. Some belts are very slightly wider than others, as there is a tolerance in those, but, I have never seen one that would not fit at all, try again, press hard, and let me know.

thanks

saul

Hi Guys,

RM holster for my SV steel + insert for SVI/STI plastic just arrived today its actually pretty quick less than 2 weeks..and really is rock solid holds the gun pretty well.! now,start dry firing using RM holster.

Edited by fasteddy