Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Rounds At Each Sitting?

Jeeper

I am curious how much competition or practice ammo people here keep on hand. Do you load a lot at once or small lots before you shoot? I rarely have more than 1500 rounds of ammo for my limited gun on hand. I just leave one of my 650s's setup for 40 and load before I shoot. Probably about 600-1000 at a time.

I usually load about 600 rounds a week. You would think I would be able to get ahead and have thousands of rounds but with the way I shoot I'm lucky if I have 10-20 loaded rounds around. I should take a day off and spend it reloading and load several thousand. I basically load about 600 rounds each session. Takes me about an hour or so with my 650.

I have that 50 year old elbow so I load 150-300 rounds when I sit down. I'll load for several evenings in a row several times a year. Right now I have 5-6 thousand supers on hand, a couple of thousand 9mm and probably 1500 in .45 auto. I need to load some .45 one of these days.

I load around 400 every thursday or friday. That's about it.

A couple thousand is a boatload. Even though i load on a 650 i must be a slow poke 'cause it takes me about 2 hours to do 400. That's including those dang primer tubes and powder checks every 100 or so.

I like to load only 200. I'll often do 400. I can go up to 600 or more, but fatigue/boredom and RSI set in. I just can't believe the number of rounds some of you crank out in a session and the rate at which you do it.

I was going to post a question on how you manage the big numbers and what makes the 1050 faster than the 650. Now is as good a time as any: Here it is.

Generally 100 or so at a sitting on an SDB... or 50 here, 50 there, another 50 an hour later. I multi-task. Weekly quantities vary according to how many shooting sessions occur in a week (usually no more than two, with 200 rds fired each session). I try to keep about 500-600 loaded and ready in the safe. Just ordered more Dillon ammo boxes as that's the only reason I haven't stored more. B)

I usually load 200-400 rds a couple times a week. Less than 200 is almost a waste running the RF-100, and more than 400 I'll get bored unless I have a special need for that much ammo. Typically I have ~500 major loads and ~500 steel loads on-hand.

In my mind, sitting down to load less than 200 rounds is a total waste of time. You spend more on setup than on loading. I usually load about 500 or so in a session (RL550). Anything over an hour and I start getting pretty bored. If it's Sat. afternoon and Prairie Home Companion is entertaining enough, I might do 1000, but it's rare.

An hour's worth on my SDB each time. I could go more, but I usually get interrupted by something. That's an actual hour of pullling the handle (500 to 700 rounds). I leave my press set up for the load I'm working on, and have prefilled primer tubes. Brass is precleaned in big batches, OneShotted and labelled, to be pulled out when needed.

I load a few K over a week or so of match/practice ammo, enough for a few months, and smaller batches of specialty ammo. I'm lucky enough to have space for a dedicated magazine for my ammo.

I kind of enjoy reloading. It gets my mind off all the mental stuff I have to do in most of my other activities. I pay attention, mind you, but it's almost a Zen like state that I can get to.

I want to maintain a supply of 1500+/- of 45ACP, 38 Super, 9mm and 40 S&W. So, I will set up for a particular caliber and load whatever I need to get to that objective, usually 400-500 per session on my 650. That takes me about an hour or longer. My brass is cleaned and sorted separately from my loading sessions. Also,I will load 400 primers in in the tubes in advance.

My experience is that I am much faster with the 45 cal and 40 cal than the other two calibers. I am the slowest with the 38 Super.The cases are harder to size ,the cases don't always feed into the first die and I crush more cases, I can't figure this out why one caliber is different than another in ease/difficulty to reload.

Due to silly laws (would you believe there is something more stupid than the Brady Bill?) here in Italy, I load only 200 per session, since we are allowed to have a maximum of 200 handgun rounds in total (not 200 for each caliber) stored at home, unless you own a hunting purpose catalogued weapon (but no handgun hunting allowed in Italy) that (casually) happens to be the same caliber: this will entitle you to store a maximum of 1k rounds of that caliber at home.

Sounds confusing? :wacko:

These are "our legislators at work"... <_<

Whenever I plan to shoot more than 200 rounds in one session, I reload the exceeding immediately before going to the range, and shoot all rounds there.

I usually load about 2,000 - 4,000 at a time. I just leave work a few hours early every couple weeks and stock up. Having a 1050 and a RF-100 helps.

If I change powder or primer lots, I only load 100 to check them with the chrono.

Shotshell I usually only have about 1,000 on hand. That I load maybe 500 at a time. Hulls and loaded ammo just take up so much room compared to pistol or rifle.

Come June I have a ton of ammo loaded and I can just concentrate on going to the range on my time off.

I need to change my answer for total number of rounds kept on hand. I was just thinking of my Limited and L-10 stuff. If you wanted to add up all the ammo in my basement, which my wife refers to as "The Bunker," it would probably be upward of 12 to 15 thousand. I just hate not having the ammo ready to go if I want to go and shoot. :D

If you wanted to add up all the ammo in my basement, which my wife refers to as "The Bunker," it would probably be upward of 12 to 15 thousand. I just hate not having the ammo ready to go if I want to go and shoot. :D

You lucky man... <_<

...in a free country! ;)