Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plugs or Muffs?

hawk45

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I recently did my own molded plugs (easy to do) and I find them both more comfortable than foam plugs and much more effective. With these in and muffs over them I have to crank the volume to hear people reasonably well. The combination blocks so much I wouldn't even bother with passive muffs. Part of my LAMR routine is that I turn off my muffs right before "are you ready". I can still hear enough if the RO yelled stop, but I don't hear the squad talking etc.

http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-radians-custom-molded-earplugs.aspx

Right now Cabela's has their do it yourself kit for under $8, might be worth checking out if I get a chance this weekend. Get two kits in different colors and swirl them together for effect. :)

Joe W.

At this year's Area 6, I got some of those custom molded ear plugs. I have been using them since and love them. Muffs can get very sweaty during the summer and these plugs block out noise better than muffs.

Both, with electronic muffs turned up high to pick up voices. I had an epiphany years ago when I was roadracing motorcycles: reducing outside noise (read that as "distracting stimuli that have nothing to do with the job at hand") really improves concentration. Double plugging does the same for me in shooting.

Curtis

At this year's Area 6, I got some of those custom molded ear plugs. I have been using them since and love them. Muffs can get very sweaty during the summer and these plugs block out noise better than muffs.

I had a pair made there to. I like them as well. They are perfect for outside but for indoor stages I put my muffs on over them when open guns are running.

I also like to double up. I use the foam plugs from Home Depot and Caldwell electronic muffs. They are a little crackly and just cut out when someone is shooting but they do the trick.

I recently did my own molded plugs (easy to do) and I find them both more comfortable than foam plugs and much more effective. With these in and muffs over them I have to crank the volume to hear people reasonably well. The combination blocks so much I wouldn't even bother with passive muffs. Part of my LAMR routine is that I turn off my muffs right before "are you ready". I can still hear enough if the RO yelled stop, but I don't hear the squad talking etc.

http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-radians-custom-molded-earplugs.aspx

Right now Cabela's has their do it yourself kit for under $8, might be worth checking out if I get a chance this weekend. Get two kits in different colors and swirl them together for effect. :)

Joe W.

Yeah, I like mine. I may do another set for myself and tweak exactly how I fit them, but they make a big, big difference....nice with an Open gun or rifles. R,

• 2 weeks later...

Orange foam plugs twisted and stuck in good in the summer, Peltor muffs in the winter, both under the range awning when bench shooting. Surefire sonic ears when I am hunting.

I have started to double plug even for outdoors. The noise is very minimal and it feels like I can concentration more. I use custom molded ear plugs under Peltor shotgunner muffs.

We used Marlboro filters firing 155mm self propelled in 1968. Now I'm using Pro Ears in the fall/winter/spring and trying to get by with Surefire plugs for the summer. I move away or cover my ears with my hands when an open shooter steps to the box.

Joe

After years of shooting I have some mild hearing loss. I now use custom molded ear plugs and Peltor Electronic muffs to save what I have left. The combo works great.

Phil G

Normally I have used my Peltor Tactical Pros but this weekend due to the heat I tried plugs. It did work OK but I could tell a difference in the amount of noise allowed. I will try doubling up at the next meet. Plugs when pasting and scoring, both when shooting. Sounds like a plan.

• 4 weeks later...

molded plugs are tha bomb! If Im RO ing an open shooter, or shooting thru a barrel, or if its cold, I will put muffs on too, but for 90% of the time filtered molded plugs are great and comfy...