Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer alternatives for 40SW

hueycrew

I've done a search for alternatives for Winchester SPP. Small Pistol Mag primers, Small Rifle Primers, Wolf Primers. Now I'm on information overload.

I hate to pay $50.00 per 1k for my favorite Winchester SPP at the local gun shops. Cost is a concern.

I shoot a P16-40 (all stock parts) and a G35 (all stock parts) Load is 5.8g to 6g Power Pistol, mixed brass, 1.135 OAL.

I'm thinking Winchester small rifle primers would be the best choice. My searches on Wolf primers didn't give me much confidence in the product though they are available. So much information about gold and silver colored primers. Mag Primers pop up sometimes.

Can I get some opinions with my current load and the type pistols I shoot?

I shot Winchester Small Rifle primers in my Para P16 for years without any ill effects . I am using Magtech SR primers in my G17 now and still have no problems . It makes it nice not having to keep 2 different primers on hand for my pistols and my AR's .

My opinion would be to buy whatever is available and drive on . As long as you don't have a super light trigger they will work fine .

Personally I like Federal SPP most. I'm running CCI SPP right now and have run the new silver wolf SPP with no issues going bang. The Wolf and CCI's do tend to seat harder and as such I check more carefully for high primers. My Tanfoglio Limited runs a longer firing pin with a lighter hammer trigger with no fails of any primer I've used so I might just be lucky..

I just got and order of Wolf SP primers from Powder Valley. I have been using Winchester SPP's. Sunday, I shot the first 150-200 rounds using the Wolf primers. I didn't have a single problem so far. I noticed that the Wolf primers seat alot easier than the winchester. I had to stop loading and make sure the primers were feeding because I didn't feel the normal resistance that I usually get from the Winchesters.

For years, I used Winchester primers, except for Glock pistols, where I used Federal, but, in the last year, I've pretty much used whatever was available, and even though they all go bang, you need to chrono your load if you switch primers.

For years, I used Winchester primers, except for Glock pistols, where I used Federal, but, in the last year, I've pretty much used whatever was available, and even though they all go bang, you need to chrono your load if you switch primers.

Good Point. I also read somewhere that if you switch to mag or rifle primers you might need to drop the powder charge and work the load back up like the first time.

With stock semi-autos, you should be able to use just about any pistol primers. I've used CCI, Rem, Win, Fed, and even Wolf and they all went bang. The only problems I've had were with CCIs and it was because I wasn't fully seating them.

I know people say they have used small rifle primers, but others say that's pushing your luck.

And regardless of what kind of primers, if you change primers, you should recheck your loads.

Weidners had Wolf SPP in stock the other day.

I've fired all kinds of stuff through my P16 over the years.. Win, Fed, RP, CCI Small pistol, Win Small rifle, RP, CCI and Win Small pistol Magnum, and would feel ok shooting any other kind of small pistol rated primer including mag tech, wolf, fiocchi, or freddy's special primers (if they existed) as long as they were set to pistol specs.. The only firearms I ever had primer issues with have been my tuned S&W revolvers.. Federal always works in those, with light strikes on every other kind of small pistol primer available.. some worse than others. If it comes down to shooting X brand or stop shooting, I'll go with X brand.

[quote name='Five of Clubs' date='23 February 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1266949693' Good Point. I also read somewhere that if you switch to mag or rifle primers you might need to drop the powder charge and work the load back up like the first time.

I've done a couple of apples-to-apples comparison's between SP and SR primers (and posted the results here) and the difference is quite small. The rounds were loaded back to back with the only change being the primers and the rounds with the SR primers were about 15fps faster (going off memory). The faster the powder, the less it seems to matter, and with some slow powders I think the increase is from a more complete burn. R,

I use Wolf primers with no problems. I also use CCI, Winchester, Magtech, Federal primers, small pistol, small rifle, small pistol magnum. No problems with the primers. Like Bart I have done a lot of comparisons between small rifle and small pistol primers. There was not much difference. I did not do a variance between means analysis but with <10fps difference and the SD be similar, I concluded I am not changing my load. I use VV320, 4.85-4.9 grs, 1.18 AOL, and mixed brass, except for match ammo. Match ammo uses nickel brass. My triggers are very light and have had no problems with the primers. Sometimes with some odd brass that got picked up at the range.

I just loaded 1500 rounds with Wolf primers. They do seat easier than other brands. They are silver.

Sportsmans Warehouse had CCI primers for <$30 per box. I am not sure why your local guy is charging $50 except to make a huge profit. I have purchased primers from almost all the sources listed above. I will buy whatever is in stock at the time.

BTW: I also use Zero bullets from Angus. His prices are very reasonable.

So if I load comfortably over the power factor say about a 140ish( for production) then I shouldn't worry about changeing primers.

Am I correct Bart? pjb45?

Obviously every gun/ammo combo is different, but I would have no problems trying that with one of my personal guns. I would keep an eye on the breachface (check after 100 and then every couple of hundred for the first thousand or so), just in case, but I certainly wouldn't be worried about pressures. R,

I started using Wolf primers last year after being unable to get CCIs and needing primers. I compared small pistol primers between the two brands and lost about 40fps with the Wolf primers - exact same loads - on a major .40 load for my P16. Not a big deal, just be aware that you'll need to adjust your powder charge. Like mentioned elsewhere in this topic, I do find that the Wolf's seat easier than CCIs or Federals.

I've done a search for alternatives for Winchester SPP. Small Pistol Mag primers, Small Rifle Primers, Wolf Primers. Now I'm on information overload.

I hate to pay $50.00 per 1k for my favorite Winchester SPP at the local gun shops. Cost is a concern.

I shoot a P16-40 (all stock parts) and a G35 (all stock parts) Load is 5.8g to 6g Power Pistol, mixed brass, 1.135 OAL.

I'm thinking Winchester small rifle primers would be the best choice. My searches on Wolf primers didn't give me much confidence in the product though they are available. So much information about gold and silver colored primers. Mag Primers pop up sometimes.

Can I get some opinions with my current load and the type pistols I shoot?

I just ordered 40M CCI 500 small pistol primers which will be delivered somtime in the next ca 4+ months. They will price out to less than $30/M. I shoot in Nappanee and could bring some for you when they arrive. I have used both WSP and the CCI500's without any problems. Drop me a PM sometime in the June-Juky time frame. I would not pay $50/M for primers under any circumstance - that is highway robbery.

So if I load comfortably over the power factor say about a 140ish( for production) then I shouldn't worry about changeing primers.

Am I correct Bart? pjb45?

Obviously every gun/ammo combo is different, but I would have no problems trying that with one of my personal guns. I would keep an eye on the breachface (check after 100 and then every couple of hundred for the first thousand or so), just in case, but I certainly wouldn't be worried about pressures. R,

thanks Bart

I will do that. I wasnt so worried about the pressure. Although I should be. I was thinking more along the line of powerfactor. But you have raised the more important point. So I will keep an eye on the pistol and the brass for signs. When the weather breaks around here I will then hit the chrono. No hurry since I am just shooting local matches. I wouldnt 'wing' it for a major match

I went to using Federal Sm Pistol Primers 3 years ago, I shoot loads that chrono around 170 using AA2. So far no issues with primer flow or any other signs of hi pressure. Based on my chrono data, my loads with the federal primers were more consistant then with the Winchesters.

I was searching around on primers and found that Remington does not recommend their 1 1/2 primers for .40 S&W. I've been loading them anyway, but can't get them as of late. I did purchase some CCI 500s for $24/K locally and I'll hopefully get through this summer with those.

I just shot about 3000 rounds in my .40 Edge loaded with Magtech small rifle primers; I had exactly one primer related malfunction due to a high primer; The primers seem to be a little hard as my stock steel firing pin barely dents the primers, but they still go bang every time. Other brands of SR primers have normal indentations from the firing pin. I'm running a 17lb mainspring and a Koenig hammer. The Magtechs occasionally are a little harder to seat, which probably caused the aforementioned malfunction. Magtech SR primers should work fine in a stock P16. Also tried a few in my stock G22 with no issues. I know of an open shooter using Wolf .223 primers in his modified STI with no issues. Nowadays any primers one can get that go bang are OK.......