Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why coated bullets

nighttrain

Why coated bullets ? I've been reloading for many years and never seen them. Just recently started shooting uspsa , as I was helping to clean up after the other shooters I noticed a couple guys using coated bullets . Doing a lil research I found the coated to be a lil cheaper ?

What other benefits are there of using coated bullets ?

In a recent chrono test I loaded xtreme plated , bbi coated , and blue bullets.  All loaded to same length, same charge. Xtreme were an average of 40 fps slower than the bbi, which were slower than the blues at 35 fps .  Coated bullets are generally faster, just as accurate, just as clean, and lots cheaper.   

Coated bullets have their problems.  Many of them are coated with the Australian HiTek coating that really smells when you fire them.  Others have a coating that is easily cut when crimping, leading to leading.  None can be used continually with a compensator unless you enjoy cleaning crap out of the comp.  Many of them are coated hard cast bullets that are already .001" oversized.  So now they don't work well in auto bullet feeders.

My home club does not allow plated or jacketed on steel.  So I use Precision poly coated bullets.  They are accurate, don't lead, don't rub off on your hands, and are reasonably priced.  Unfortunately, I can't use them in any of my compensated guns.  I'm not going to name other names, but the Precisions work much better than the other seven brands I tried.  They are more consistent in weight, and more accurate.

If I had my druthers, I'd shoot good plated (Rainier) or JHPs for everything.

They don't lead, cost half of that of jackets, and are just dang near as accurate, especially Minor. They will run in an Open gun, but sploog up the comp. I switched years ago after my blood lead got up to 28 from moly coated. Went to Bayous and it dropped to 8 in just a few months. 6 is normal for guys running FMJs, shooting the same amount as I do,  because there is still lead in the primer (lead styphnate)

Edited by 9x45

• 2 weeks later...

I use Blue Bullets in my CZ SP01 Shadow with 125gn bullet, 3.8gn N320 @ 1.115.  20,000 + no leading, no smoke.  I also use the Blue Bullets in my CZ Czechmate open gun.  125gn Bule Bullet 7.1gn N350 @ 1.155 in 8,000 rounds I have cleaned the comp 4 times.  Coated bullets do not work well in open guns that have popple holes in the barrel.

I switched to ACME just recently. They were the best deal I could find of all the coated ones. I've gone through about 3000 without any problems. More accurate? I haven't noticed a discernible difference. They don't pull out easily in my RCBS bullet puller. Only about half the the time and it puts a bite ring around the whole circumference. I would say that's my only downside. Copper plated pop right out and are still in perfect condition.

I use the original Hi-Tek coated bullets by Bayou Bullets. Less smoke, faster, leaves barrel cleaner, no leading, cheaper than Plated or Jacketed, accurate with right powder and OAL, Crimp 9mm at .3785. The 120 TCG with 3.8gr of T.G. at 1.060 avg 1.05" 5-shot avg from my ransom rest in my DVC 9mm.

You use 10-15% less powder to push a Hi-Tek bullet at the same velocity as an FMJ bullet. Not only do you save on powder but you should also see less barrel wear due to lower temperatures and less heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk