Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found something worse than small primer 45!

MJinPA

Lee dies have a couple of good features.  One is the price.  The other is that collet set up for the primer punch/pin.  When I run into one of those it just pushes the pin/shaft up through the collet.  Required a resetting of the pin, but at least nothing breaks.

I wonder where that stuff came from?

Lee dies have a couple of good features.  One is the price.  The other is that collet set up for the primer punch/pin.  When I run into one of those it just pushes the pin/shaft up through the collet.  Required a resetting of the pin, but at least nothing breaks.

So do I! And, this is actually a Lee die. Processed about 5k 223 before this evil head stamp showed up. Wasn't until I bent the 2nd pin that I realized it was berdan primed. Just ordered 2 more pins and sorted the remaining 2000 cases. Found 11 more of these mixed in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did the exact same thing Sunday.  Even cut the case just like you did to confirm my suspicions.
Whoever brings that crap to the range should be publically caned.

Dilly, dilly!

True!  never thought of that.  Probably why they started using stepped brass.

Also probably why even Wolf gold is crimped! I always kick myself in the ass when I decide to load a bunch of 223 plinking rounds. Last winter I did 3000 and said never again. This winter I looked at my bin of brass and said "nope" but started processing it the next week. I guess it gives me something to do when shooting slows down in the winter months.

15 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

@M1A4ME and @4n2t0 ... you mean you guys haven’t discovered the hardened lee depriming pins from Squirrel Daddy?

The name is strange, but the product is solid. Bent three factory Lee pins in two weeks time, once.

Can’t manage to hurt the SD one. On anything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018V7L3C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rO3xAbV6A92ZG

Edited by MemphisMechanic

[mention=64478]M1A4ME[/mention] and [mention=57732]4n2t0[/mention] ... you mean you guys haven’t discovered the hardened lee depriming pins from Squirrel Daddy?

The name is strange, but the product is solid. Bent three factory Lee pins in two weeks time, once.

Finally something good came out of this thread :) I ordered 2 more Lee 223 pins for $15 from amazon. Wish I would have seen this first. Hopefully I don't break another but if I do I'll go to squirrel daddy!

This is what I do:

Stick the decapping pin in with a piece of deprimed brass fully seated in the first station. Drop it through the flash hole, retract it about half a milimeter, and lock it down. Take a cutoff wheel in a dremel and put a small mark on the side of the pin sticking out the top of fhe die, flush with the top.

Whenever military berdan primers shove the pin up into the die? You just loosen it, realign the mark cut into the in, and retorque it.

A ratcheting 1/2” gearwrench comes in really handy.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@M1A4ME and @4n2t0 ... you mean you guys haven’t discovered the hardened lee depriming pins from Squirrel Daddy?

I use Dillon dies but I've still managed to break/bend a few pins in my day. I get 10 pins for $8 so it's not a huge burden on the wallet.

I bent a Lee Universal decapper on a Berdan 9mm.  I was going through a box of what was marked "crimped primer" brass and meant to decap and decrimp in idle time.

Some places still load Berdan because

1.  They are tooled up for it  and

2.  It is cheaper.  With the anvil formed as part of the case, there is one less little piece to make and assemble for a Boxer.  Which may be why they tooled up for it in the first place.  In ancient history, the Berdan had the advantage of holding more of a "cooler" mix, too. 

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I was going to recommend Squirrel Daddy's pins as well - have a few on hand for my Lee USD, plus always have a few spare pins for my Dillon dies as well.  Get the 10pk for the Dillon they are not expensive and you'll like never need all of them

Well, foreign is ALWAYS better.

Thus, the US decided that the British had the right idea so we went with Boxer priming and Europe decided that the US was right and went to Berdan priming (with the advantage of making handloading more difficult for their serfs/subjects/peons).

16 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This is what I do:

Stick the decapping pin in with a piece of deprimed brass fully seated in the first station. Drop it through the flash hole, retract it about half a milimeter, and lock it down. Take a cutoff wheel in a dremel and put a small mark on the side of the pin sticking out the top of fhe die, flush with the top.

Whenever military berdan primers shove the pin up into the die? You just loosen it, realign the mark cut into the in, and retorque it.

A ratcheting 1/2” gearwrench comes in really handy.

How do you tell what is the correct torque?  Too tight and pins break.  Too loose and primers don't get pushed out.