Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Shooters! Where do you store you're guns

frgood

my competition handguns stay in their midwayusa soft pistol cases in my humidity-controlled safe, with the mags in the side pockets. easier keeping gun and mags together vs gun in one place and mags in the other, and way too easy, at least for me, to mix up different caliber mags.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Would there be any benefit to keeping those moisture absorbing packets in your rangebag and/or safe to keep your guns in a dryer environment? Or is it just as easy to just clean and lube and store them?

Absolutely. Because of limited space, the only place I can store my guns is in the master bathroom closet. I just have a regular metal gun cabinet, not safe, and keep 3 dehumidifiers in there. They are the reusable ones. I have not had any rust problems and that's a pretty humid environment.

I bought one of those too but I may switch to an electric dehumidifier. These things do work as I have one of those disposable ones where you put the crystal in a bucket. I checked on it after a month (Garage), I do see some water in it.

On 27.11.2016 at 3:21 AM, grapemeister said:

I don't tell people where I keep my guns

If I had any guns, I wouldn't tell everybody that I do. I would definitely not have a bumper sticker that implies I might have any.

They would be in a safe that is out of sight, so that you have to look for it to find it.

There would be a couple of Rottweilers and a jumpy sheepdog in the house.

In the safe, they would quite likely be in bags or rugs. If stuff is wet when I get home from the range, I would make sure that only dry items go into the safe.

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Why do you go to the range if you don't have any guns?    :rolleyes:

Why are you a member of the BE universe?   :P

I sometimes get confused between my ifs and whens.

I visit all sorts of cool sites just because they are cool. B)

In the safe if it's weeks between matches, in the carrying case If it's days between matches (uspsa, bowling pin and steel challenge). Back before I got a competition gun, id use my carry gun which well stayed on my person or night table.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Race guns go in the safe for a few reasons.  I find that keeping things bagged up where they cant breath isn't usually good for them.  I also think they are more protected from getting banged up in the safe.  I'm never going to use them for self defense so if I'm not shooting, transporting or working on them they go in the safe.

The important thing is to not leave them in an uncontrolled temp/humidity environment.  If you have a safe in a garage that's not supplied by an hvac system or a dessicant drying system, you can get rust even on stainless steel (stainless is rust resistant not rust proof).  Kept in the house it becomes more an issue of safety.  Though I don't like to leave them in a closed gun rug just to be safe.

But I've got a s&w m28 that's been in a gun rug in the trunk of my car for 6 months in an unheated garage and am not seeing any issues, ditto for the ruger blackhawk in a tool box in my truck.  Though I think I'll revisit the issue with them.