Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How will USPSA adapt to changing gender issues?

wtturn

As we have seen lately, attitudes and social mores regarding sexuality and gender issues are evolving.

I did some research and discovered the concept of "gender fluidity" in particular.

Gender fluidity is defined as: a gender identity which refers to a gender which varies over time. A gender fluid person may at any time identify as male, female, neutrois, or any other non-binary identity, or some combination of identities. Their gender can also vary at random or vary in response to different circumstances. Gender fluid people may also identify as multigender, non-binary and/or transgender.

In practice, could an individual compete as a lady in certain matches and a man in another? What are the implications for the high lady award, etc?

An associated implication is that of transgenderism. Could a post-op woman compete as a lady? How will we know? And vice versa.

Will USPSA mandate testing, a la the Olympic games?

Do we need additional competitor categories?

I think USPSA as an .org needs to get out in front of this issue.

Edited by wtturn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I don't think this is much of a problem. Sort of like the restroom discussions, it's something that is wasting time that could be spent on a lot more pressing problems.

Somehow I don't think this is much of a problem. Sort of like the restroom discussions, it's something that is wasting time that could be spent on a lot more pressing problems.

You're cool with a genetically male shooter receiving high lady?

Remove High Lady. Fixed...

What about the other categories?

The only ones you have an issue with are gender based ones. So that's it.

I hardly think that's fair.

Are you suggesting giving everyone a participation medal?

Are you suggesting giving everyone a participation medal?

Quite the opposite

Cmon not this shit here too. I have to deal enough with this garbage at work. We shouldn't have to deal with it at our hobbies too.

You have/had a penis your a man. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a real concern. God forbid the USPSA gets sued for discrimination or hung out to dry by the media because trans-inter-gender inequality. I for one think that there should be some kind of sensitivity training requirement at new shooter meetings.

Remove any designators related to gender. Or have two groups, one for mixed genders together with no distinctions at all. And a second one that is female self identity only. Just like having two classes of cars or bikes on the same track at the same time in the same race.

Remove any gender identifier or separate it completely.