Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite primer tube filling tool... ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a VibraPrime. its been modified quite a bit. Even still Winchester primers are a PITA, because they are more round on the bottom, and have a tendency to roll and try to flip when they come into the tube. CCI's and Federal's run thru it fast, 100 in 30 seconds or less, because they are very flat on the bottom.

I just tried another 100 fed spp on my vibra. 13 seconds. It's totally as it came out of the box. I find it works best when you're not to greedy with the lean angle. Just a very slight lean forward and to the right works for me. Probably about 15-20 degrees.

I picked up a Vibra Prime a while back. It works decent. Its a lot easier and faster than loading tubes by hand. I occasionally have a primer jam in there...usually Federal small pistol primers, but nothing bad.

I got mine the other day and after 2 tubes I figured out the angle to hold it at and how to tap it when one gets jammed up. It's quick now.

I use a VibraPrime. its been modified quite a bit. Even still Winchester primers are a PITA, because they are more round on the bottom, and have a tendency to roll and try to flip when they come into the tube. CCI's and Federal's run thru it fast, 100 in 30 seconds or less, because they are very flat on the bottom.

When I got my VP, I used it to load several tubes of Winchester primers and was ready to toss it in the trash after 3 tubes. It would hang up every 10-15 primers and I would have to pull it apart and clear the jam. I recently got a bunch of S&B primers on sale at Cabelas and gave the VP another go. I loaded up 1200 primers last night without a single jam. They just flowed effortlessly into the tubes. There's definitely something about the shape of the Winchesters that doesn't agree with the VP.

The Pal Filler was $150 last year, and now they are selling it for $250... LOL :surprise:

Do you all think it's worth that much, let's say, compared to the Dillon RF100?

I know the PAL just plain works. From what I've read on here about the RF100, it's hit or miss. Upside down primers aren't acceptable at all in my mind. I'm not sure I would want to spend that much on a source of frustration.

Kinda like the RTS2 right now. I'd like to have one, but not wanting to get into it just yet.

The Pal Filler was $150 last year, and now they are selling it for $250... LOL :surprise:

Do you all think it's worth that much, let's say, compared to the Dillon RF100?

I know the PAL just plain works. From what I've read on here about the RF100, it's hit or miss. Upside down primers aren't acceptable at all in my mind. I'm not sure I would want to spend that much on a source of frustration.

Kinda like the RTS2 right now. I'd like to have one, but not wanting to get into it just yet.

Exactly how I feel on both subjects. Whether it's a good way to judge or not, I have just read of too many problems with the RF100 to feel comfortable spending that much money on it. Negative publicity hurts.

Same with the RTS2

Having my better half fill the tubes by pick n peck method lol

Had a vibra prime tried loading winchester and Tula's spp. Way to many plug ups and upside down primers. Got pissed at it and tossed it in the round file. MBH does not mind loading them by hand so "I let her" lol.

Edited by noexcuses

When I got my VP, I used it to load several tubes of Winchester primers and was ready to toss it in the trash after 3 tubes. It would hang up every 10-15 primers and I would have to pull it apart and clear the jam. I recently got a bunch of S&B primers on sale at Cabelas and gave the VP another go. I loaded up 1200 primers last night without a single jam. They just flowed effortlessly into the tubes. There's definitely something about the shape of the Winchesters that doesn't agree with the VP.

Yep, anything with a nice flat bottom run great. Mine runs Winchesters OK, just slower. Large primers are worse than small.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my VP yesterday and couldn't wait to try it on S&B SPP. After several tries I was ready to send it back. Every 4-5 it would jam at the hole or flip over into the tube. Went thru some of the mods suggested. Figured out the right angle and how to hold my tongue and it works. Going to do the rest of the mods on it.

gerritm

it's funny I've now been using the vibra prime a bit. I only use federal SPP and federal SRP at the moment and can state the following:

with fed SPP it's 100%. it now takes maybe 5 seconds to fill a tube. it's flip tray is awesome too. At the most I get one primer I have to turn over by hand. usually all 100 flip in just 2-3 shakes (i hold it on top of a bullet box with raises lettering on it this agitates the flip action nicely).

with fed SRP it's about 99%. The only hang up I get is occaisionaly a primer has a high anvil and it stops in the last bit of the tray as it's feeding towards the tube. I've figured out I just apply a little upward pressure on the cover and it passes through. So SRP take about 8 seconds now.

I hate to be critical (and I can't speak for other primer brands) but if you're using a vibraprime with federal primers and it doesn't work basically 100% out of the box then either you're doing it wrong or you got a faulty one and should send it back.

• 9 months later...

Just going to add that I have the FA VibraPrime, the RF100 and the Pal Filler.  The VP works pretty darn good with CCI SP, the RF100 will flip one every 500 or so... but the Pal Filler will even do WSP and WLP with out a hitch.  The VP i have to wack to make sure they go down and occasionally those will flip. 

I agree with the others the RF100 is just about set it and forget it, though I do enjoy watching it do it's thing.  The PAL Filler is a work of art!  Umberto is a great guy and is responsive on FB.  I'm pretty sure if any issues develop he would take care of me.  But in loading about 2000 of assorted CCI and Winchester primers in all sizes, I haven't had a real issue, and NO flipped ones so far!

I've been using the same Vibraprime for the last 15 years.  Can't imagine spending so much for the RF100 or PAL.  I like taking a break, going inside and loading up 10 primer tubes while sitting on the couch or in front of the computer.  The kids used to do it when they were younger too.

I don't think I ever get flipped primers since I watch them go down, but even if I did, how many would it take to make up the cost difference?