Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke Tubes

sniperdog

I was wondering what choke tubes need to be avaialble at the various 3-gun matches? I noticed last year some of the better shooters were makning changes but I was afarid to ask what ones they were using. For those of you in the know what choke tubes should I have in my bag ?

The course of fire will determine which choke is appropriate. For close up clays you'll want less constriction, for distant steel you'll want more constriction.

I usually just use a Light Modified Briley, but I've switched to a Full when the stage is predominantly steel at longer distances, or when there are no-shoots crowding targets. I've switched to Cylinder when it's a close stage with mostly clays.

I've found the Light Modified to be a good compromise, but you'll have to pattern your gun to know for sure.

Barrel has very little to no effect on pattern. Barrel length affects speed, which impacts the kd power of shot.

21" for me with a LM for 90% at big matches. I have been making a diffusion work out to 25 yards with Remington heavy dove 7 1/2's locally. Had to put in the full one time last year.

M

• 7 months later...

Barrel has very little to no effect on pattern. Barrel length affects speed, which impacts the kd power of shot.

21" for me with a LM for 90% at big matches. I have been making a diffusion work out to 25 yards with Remington heavy dove 7 1/2's locally. Had to put in the full one time last year.

M

sorry to dig up this oldy, but is shooting a diffusion really worth it? I mean...do you really find yourself aiming less when u r running a diffusion. I understand it's beneficial for shooting flying clays, but for anything other than that....i just cant see it being practical, even for hoser stages. Maybe I just feel like I can't run through a stage aiming any less than I do already :blink:

• 1 month later...

I tend to use improved for everything, hunting or otherwise (steel shot is choked a bit differently and IC for lead is Modified for Steel) and choose to change up shot sizes and payload for distance or knockdown capability. I've thought about purchasing a light modified but have just not gotten around to it. I don't know if I'd notice much but my experience tends to be as mainly for fun and I've not been to anything major for some time.. I do know that a Polish plate rack makes cylinder bore ineffective at anything past about 12 yards even with #4 lead.. #4 buck and bigger tends to be quite effective though.. I had a stage in an all shotgun match with a double polish rack at 15 yards and there were a few ppl that ran out of ammo..

I predominantly run an IC, but I do keep a cyclinder, Mod, IM, and Full in the bag.

I rarely switch from IC, but at the Ozark match last weekend I did use both the Mod & IM chokes.

I like having options and they don't take up much space so I bring several when I travel.

Erik

I predominantly run an IC, but I do keep a cyclinder, Mod, IM, and Full in the bag.

The general consensus seems to be IC or LM with some others in the bag just in case. In trying to understand why someone would choose one over the other, I did some research and here is a chart I found that shows the constriction in inches:

.000 Cylinder

.005 Skeet

.010 Improved Cylinder

.015 Light Modified

.020 Modified

.025 Improved Modified

.030 Light Full

.035 Full

.045 Extra Full

.050 Super Full

From the Briley website, this chart shows the distance you would need to be at to obtain an efficient pattern. It doesn't mention the load used.

<20 Cylinder

22.5 Skeet

25 Improved Cylinder

30 Light Modified

32.5 Modified

35 Improved Modified

37.5 Light Full

40+ Full and Extra Full

On the assumption that you would want to choose the choke that would give you the best pattern for what you are shooting at, I'm going to assume that the predominance of IC and LM indicates that most shots are going to be in the 25 - 30 yd range. I'm going to assume that if there are a certain percentage of shots under 25yds, one would lean toward the IC and if there were a certain percentage of shots over 30yds, one would lean toward the LM.

All this is by way of saying, the choice of choke really depends on the courses a person normally encounters and just how tight that person likes to group their shot. I rather expect that for a novice like me, having an IC and a Modified would pretty much handle anything we were likely to encounter.

Disclaimer: At this point, I've got a lot to learn and am trying very hard to sort through the advice intended for medium to advanced shooters and that intended for novices. Novices often need fewer choices.

For those who understand this, please feel free to tell me everything I've gotten wrong here.