Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship – April 23-25, 2010

Ground pistol, unsling shotgun (ground it near rifle), retreive rifle (and sling it) retreive shotgun, proceed with stage...

OR

shoot pistol strong hand carrying shotgun in weak hand, ground pistol, retreive rifle, shoot shotgun, ...

OR

There are a couple of other options, but which is fastest/safest??? :goof:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting through with ROs last year we had a little fog and a lot of dusk.

:roflol:

After the lessons learned last year, I put a flashlight in all my gun bags. Thanks for the wake up - I hadn't thought about fog. Lights won't help, but iron sights should be easily visible shooting against white fog, if you can pick out the target?

As they say in the movies: I guess we'll see what we'll see.

Ground pistol, unsling shotgun (ground it near rifle), retreive rifle (and sling it) retreive shotgun, proceed with stage...

OR

shoot pistol strong hand carrying shotgun in weak hand, ground pistol, retreive rifle, shoot shotgun, ...

OR

jj

OR

OR

jj

This will be my first 3 gun event..........been following this thread for a while and all this talk leaves me scratching my head thinking what in the world have I gotten into!!

OR

OR

jj

This will be my first 3 gun event..........been following this thread for a while and all this talk leaves me scratching my head thinking what in the world have I gotten into!!

Clint.....oh you poor sole! Drink plenty of water and if you have not been running on a daily basis might I suggest you start NOW!!!!!

Larry

Clint yo will be fine , last years match was just my third three gun event of size and my 5th total 3 gun event. I stuck with my falling Domino plan to keep from going past targets and still did not shoot at every thing. just break each stage down into pieces that you can chew

The match will kind of spoil you to the Idea of what a challenging match is. I have passed up some local matches to prepare for the larger events. I don't see how a club match could provide the same challenge unless you shot all the stages with just one start

Clint,

There are several transitions in the match, and they are one of the most common areas where people have significant (often bad) issues. When transitioning from one part of a stage to another, take the time to do it properly and safely.

In 3-gun, you can not win a match by saving a quarter of a second abandoning your pistol/rifle/shotgun faster than the next guy, but you can get DQ'd (either stage or match depending on where you are) if you don't make sure the weapon's safety is engaged when it is at rest where abandoned. Take the tenth of a second required to slow down, place, and look at the gun you are leaving behind. Managing two long guns at the same time follows the same general idea. On the stages you mention, your rifle is completely empty. Therefore, there are no "180" issues with the rifle. Just take the time to situate it on your person in a manner that will allow you to manipulate your shotgun and shotshells before you make the shotgun hot and take off to engage the next targets.

Practice this at home so you know where everything is supposed to come to rest, and that it will stay there while you are moving.

FYI: There have been some slight changes in the Squad List, which most folks effected know about. Those changes are now reflected on the website.

See you all in a couple of weeks,

Andy

Edited by AFH

I know the longest rifle shot last year (other than the .50 cal) was about 425yrds. What will it be this year? My range goes to 400 so I am good to that point.

My only question is will we be tasked with shooting our rifles sideways? :blink: As in 90 deg to the side. :o

The problem now is having a day without 30+mph winds so I can go to the range to

confirm zero.

Craig

That is perfect conditions to zero your rifle for a match in Kentucky. :goof:

From an anonymous competitor shooting in the wind after I asked him if he could shoot a group...

"Can I shoot a group? Yes sir, I shot a group all around that there target, didn't you see all the dust kick up? It is hitting the target that is hard."

Dinners for competitors are being planned for both Friday and Saturday nights. One dinner is being sponsored by Barrett Rifles , and the other dinner sponsor will be announced later. During the Saturday night dinner, we will be auctioning several guided hunts located around the nation with all proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project – so bring your checkbooks!!! More details about the hunts will be available later

also will food be aviable during the match?

on the Dinners, can the wife and vistors eat also? if so how much?

how much are the extra shirts that you can buy at the match.

thanks

RWF

Edited by RWF

Food will be available during the match beginning at 6:00 a.m. with a $7.25 breakfast buffet that includes your drinks, or you can get a breakfast burrito to go.

The wife and visitors can eat at dinner also. Cost -- I'm not exactly sure, but you can get great meals in the restaurant for $6 to $20.

Match T-shirts will be available onsite for $15 and $20 (XXL and above). We do not have many extras, and none will be sold at registration (we have to make sure everybody gets one!!). Tammi will have a piece of paper for you to sign up for any extra T-shirts, and you will have all day Friday to stop back by scoring to pick them up.

Andy

Is it possible to have the shooting schedule posted earlier than at registration? Not that it really matters I suppose but.

It looks like we have 10 stages and 20 squads, so I assume (scary as that is) that 10 squads will start at 0715 on Friday and 10 will start after the first ten finish and the first ten will then be moving to the next stage and re-provisioning and arranging their gear. It might be Squads 1-10 shoot first on Friday and 11-20 start later and reverse it on each succeeding day, or there may be a different schedule, Odds and evens? Looking at the stages and trying to figure the times to clear a squad, I assume (again) that we'll shoot 4-4-2 in order to finish mid afternoon or at least before dark-thirty on Sunday.

Looking over the stages, it should be a fun time. 4 days off from work plus two more, it has to be fun.

See you all there.

Jim

Andy,

Stage 1o diagram shows a multitude of tagets, however, the round count for the match shows a total of 11 rounds. Can I "assume" there is an error somewhere?

Andy,

Stage 1o diagram shows a multitude of tagets, however, the round count for the match shows a total of 11 rounds. Can I "assume" there is an error somewhere?

I'm guessing that's where the "optional" ammo required is used. But, I'm not Andy, and it's only a guess. :rolleyes:

Andy,

I'm guessing that's where the "optional" ammo required is used. But, I'm not Andy, and it's only a guess. :rolleyes:

What I dont really get though is that the optional rounds are: 48 pistol, 34 rifle, 12 birdshot...

but, I guess we'll find out in about a week :)