Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship – April 23-25, 2010

what was the website of the photographer??

Derek Lanham Photography

Thanks for linking my site. I was the photographer for the match. Pictures are still uploading and I will have the final batch up tonight. Taking pictures at a shooting match can be challenging, but I think I got some good pictures of just about every shooter that I got to take a picture of. Unfortunately, I didn't get everyone, and I am sorry for that. Also, I am more than happy to take suggestions on how to address the shooting community and get pictures that are more interesting for you guys.

I will probably be back at the Pan Am in July, assuming I can sell a few of the pictures from BRM3G. Not there to make money, but do want to cover my costs.

Thanks - Derek

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks go out to Andy and Tammy, the RO's, the staff at Rock Castle Shooting Center, and the shooters that showed up to have a good time. The decision to stop the match was the proper one in my humble opinion.

I have never shoot for the prizes, just for the fun. My name didn't get drawn until near the end of the prizes and I was lucky enough to win several nice items, but the most fun item was the "Cold Steel Perfectly Balanced Throwing Knife". My arm is sore today from the three hours of knife throwing I did last evening. What a blast. The prizes won are all in how you look at them I guess.

Squad 12 was a hoot. What a great bunch of guys that really made the effort to be the fastest squad there when it came to resetting steel and pasting targets. Competative people will make a competition out of anything.

I will be back next year.

Andy and crew, you guys and gals did a great job. Rock Castle is an awesome facility. I will be back. It was not the fault of Andy and his staff or the folks at Rock Castle that we couldn't finish.

Were there problems? Yes. There was the obvious one of the weather. There is a bit of a time management problem were there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get the squads through the stages on schedule. Why is that? Partly our fault as shooters, we are not all 20 something in the best shape of our lives. Yes there are those older shooters that really turn it up, but there are far more that just don't have the level of fitness to run a jungle run and finish it in under a minute and a half. We will take the whole 4 minutes allotted. Heck, we get our money's worth! I don't have a good answer for this one.

Now as to the weather, I doubt that Andy ordered the weather we had. Let's be honest here. If Andy could control the weather I am sure he would have got us 64 degrees, 39 percent humidity, and 5 mph winds.

Our squad got to shoot 6 stages. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 1 in that order. Due to a problem with my neck, I decided not to run the obstacles but rather to take the run up and back. Stage 7 was a blast, a bit scary in that you really had to watch your footing but a fun, challenging stage. Stage 8, a natural darkhouse. I doubt that short of traveling to far off lands and a two-way range most of us will ever get to shoot a stage like that one. 800 feet plus in a cave! Stage 9 was OK, it would have been better if I could have hit the slider. Stage 10 was my first decent stage (I Hope Andy posts what ever scores he has!) Three guns and a house, start in the light, go inside and then back out, FUN. Stage 1 was wet. We had to wait till the worst of the first rain passed to shoot. It was fun, even if it was a box to box as opposed to freestyle stage. There were still some options as well as some real challenging shots.

Now if I can get all the mud off my wife's jeep....

Jim

Good fun to be had by all...even if things did get a little wet! I really appreciate everyone that worked so hard at the match and certainly enjoyed the challenges that were provided. Rockcastle is a really nice "natural terrain" playland!

A special thanks to all of the wonderful sponsors that make a match like this possible. The list was huge and the prize tables were the largest I have ever seen!

Squad 14 was full of great guys to shoot with and hang out with. The Adam's Arms boys were a hoot. I would like to know how well their piston system held up to the all out assault on stage 6. Not sure how many people ended up shooting that stage, but with each one firing 30rnds through that rifle, that's a lot of shooting for one gun in just a few days!

Thanks again to everyone that made for a great weekend!

Edwin

Guys I'm just saying anyone complaining about an act of nature is treading on pretty thin ice. Anyone who knows weather could look at the huge black wall cloud that spawned the tornado and tell that it was dangerous to be outside. Anyone who thinks these guys who spent months in preparation and several days in set-up wanted to cancel the last four stages of one of the biggest natural terrain matches of the year may not be looking at both sides of the argument. I understand a lot of the shooters had money, vacation time, etc. tied up in this match but all of that can be erased permanently by one well placed bolt of lightning. Discretion is the better part of valor in any sporting event.

The match staff offered to finish on Sunday but the majority of competitors VOTED to shoot for fun only on Sunday due to the potential time it would take to finish up. Shooting on Saturday afternoon would have been dangerous to all of the ROs and competitors. Please remember that practical shooting can boast of a very low injury rate compared to other active sports and we should all want to keep it that way.

I will say that I am surprised with quite a few posts on this forum about this match...While I think that Andy put a lot of work into this match I don't think the stage design/process was thought through (and that comes from more RO's than shooters). We were 2 hours behind before the weather hit so it wasn't a surprise when the match was canceled for 2-3 hours of bad weather. I have never been to a match that doesn't shoot in the rain.

I don't care how many people defend the match direction...I listened to so many people that were a part of the match express disagreement with the decision/ disappointment (when we talk about decision makers) that I would never spend any more time coming to this match as long as it is run with the same philosophy.

As response to an earlier post: "results, have you not....?"

Ummm...yeah, I was there when it happened. Let's see:

Drive 1500 miles round trip...

Match entry fee of $285

Expend 400+ rounds of various ammo

3 nights of hotel expenses

ARE YOU F****** KIDDING ME!

There should be some type of results posted...no matter how incomplete they are.

The match may have been a little behind, but our squad had our sixth stage in before the rain started to really come down sat, so not sure how it could have been 2 hours behind, when we had our lunch break on time. If you dont want to come back I am sure someone will take your spot for next year. I have run many matches in the past, including area multigun and yes we have shot in the rain, but lightening is nothing to mess with. unless you are god and can control the weather shit happens, I am sure lots of people were dissapointed since we couldnt finish the match, but it was out of anyones control. big matches have big stages and squads must bust ass to get through them in time. Until you post some stage designs that can even come close to the ones Andy ran I would stop bashing his. Great match bad circumstances.

To Andy, the entire match staff, RO's and the 4H, here's a huge thank you to you all. Andy, the stages this year were awsome! You had some tough decisions to make and you stepped up and made them. No matter which way you would have decided, it would not have made everyone happy. BTW the decision was in the best interest of the competitors and their safety. I cannot wait to see what kinds of stages you come up with for next year. Keep up the good work. Thanks again to all.

I had to think about this. To those not at the match-don't even think of criticizing the decision to halt. It was not rain, but lightning that really stopped the match. My squad was on the mountain(as it were) when the rain started and we had a couple shooters go through the sniper stage 5. Then lightning struck close by twice and you could feel it and smell it. We made a collective decision to stop and informed the RO's-they concurred and we boogied off the mountain. My car made it out, I guess a couple of trucks behind us got stuck. We were happy to get down. Saturday night was a real bummer, pouring rain, no match in sight and no hope. Then the 3 Gun Nation guys got a shootoff together and salvaged some real competition for Sunday morning. We thought maybe we can get some stages in the morning, but the roads into some of them were too deep. The shootoff was on a sloping hill site and was perfect Kentucky grass. It came off real well and was exciting to watch. I think that the Andy Horner and his staff deserve thanks for creating some of the most audacious stages ever. The Rock Castle club is a unique shooting environment and they could not have been nicer or more accommodating. There was no choice but to award prizes randomly. I feel bad for some competitors who really put a lot of blood and sweat equity into training-I don't have any answers. There are lessons learned in all matches and this match is no different. I am sure it will be studied and some alternatives, etc mapped out for the future regarding bad weather, transportation, and all that. Maybe a half dozen surplus M35 trucks with rain tops for transportation, with competitor vehicles staying in the lot for some stages. Maybe a permanent wooden structure hide for sniper rifles so that consistency is obtained shooter to shooter. The FN team is a class act and really worked hard to make the shootoff really good and it was! Only those who dare greatly can succeed greatly-I hope this match continues and is successful. I will come back-just not with a carsmile.gif I would also like to thank all the RO's who were good and technically helpful, and also Sabre Defence who sponsored the match and gave a lot of rifles!!

Edited by Jadeslade

'Probably getting tired of hearing it, but....

I(we)too had a great time despite the weather imposed changes to the match.

Yeah, it was shitty that we got rained out, but... In the overall scheme of things it's not that big a deal. There will be other matches.

Stages were great and for those of us who are used to shooting only on "square" ranges the opportunity to do some action shooting in a natural landscape was refreshing to say the least.

As with every trip I've made to the US to shoot 'met some great folks and hope to see y'all at future matches...

:cheers:

steve (squad 17)

We were waiting on the hill at stage 5 too for our squad time to come up, stage 5 was not behind schedule = we were early to the stage off of #4. the lightening was intense.

I did /we did not get shoot the Barret or the Rex 7 , and we did not get to shoot stage 6 and the Full Auto Saber rifle. We did not get to shoot stage 8 in the cave even after showing up 50 min before 11 on Sunday.

I train hard with every spare dollar and minute I can find. and even with the 2,200 miles on my truck cheers.gif we will try to come back next year

The Resort owner let us walk the Cave as the RO's cleared out surprise.gif you guys that got to shoot that stage are some lucky Bastages.

I would trade my prize for any one of the stages I did not get to shoot.

Any one want to buy a Rem 700 LTR,

in that fancy shirt it makes me look like i know what i am doing! will it be okay to wait a week or 2 before ordering?

Thanks

Robert

Yes, the site will still have the pictures available in a few weeks when you are ready to order.

Many thanks to Andy and all the match staff and RO's for all their hard work. It was one great match. Nothing that can be done about the weather and the right call was made. Great bunch of shooters on Squad 12.

I hope to be back next year.

And now, the one, the only (I think) Stage 8 video --- The Cave. (you cant see a lot... we were in a freeking cave :roflol: )

Edited by HiCapMag

Good fun to be had by all...even if things did get a little wet! I really appreciate everyone that worked so hard at the match and certainly enjoyed the challenges that were provided. Rockcastle is a really nice "natural terrain" playland!

A special thanks to all of the wonderful sponsors that make a match like this possible. The list was huge and the prize tables were the largest I have ever seen!

Squad 14 was full of great guys to shoot with and hang out with. The Adam's Arms boys were a hoot. I would like to know how well their piston system held up to the all out assault on stage 6. Not sure how many people ended up shooting that stage, but with each one firing 30rnds through that rifle, that's a lot of shooting for one gun in just a few days!

Thanks again to everyone that made for a great weekend!

Edwin

Hey Edwin, there were two rifles that we used on stage 6 and between the two of them I'd say we put close to 7500-8000 rounds through them in 3 days. They ran like scalded dogs all weekend. There were 4 malfunctions: 3 FTF/FTEs with handloads and one with factory (not sure of the brand)...but the factory case that came out has damaged in a way I've never seen a rifle cause before. It had dents and scratches all over the walls of the case but no apparent damage at the neck.

Yeah, they ran great!

Many thanks to Andy and all the match staff and RO's for all their hard work. It was one great match. Nothing that can be done about the weather and the right call was made. Great bunch of shooters on Squad 12.

And now, the one, the only (I think) Stage 8 video --- The Cave. (you cant see a lot... we were in a freeking cave :roflol: )

Great video. I was hoping someone would get a video of Stage 8 :cheers:

Calling the match was tough for everyone & probably hardest on Andy. I hope to never be put in his position. I was very pleased with the stages I got to shoot. The blind stage was really being propped up as a "big deal" by other shooters. One guy said it was the best/coolest stage he'd ever shot. I was sceptical but when I did get to shoot it I was NOT let down. Andy was his usual good natured self & I/we like his style. The Rock Castle shooting center is perfect for a match with the on site hotel & restraunt, their staff is great. I was really glad to get to see so many friends & acquaintences, I just wish there was more time to visit with everyone.

Damon

For those of you who asked about pictures and potentially others, all of my pictures have been posted at www.lanhamphoto.com.

Also, I suspect many of you will be traveling back to the PanAm, and I have been asked if I am going to be there. I have not yet decided, but if you have a suggestion or input, please Private Message me so as not to hijack the thread.

I know this is a bit of an advertisement and probably in the grey area of the guidelines. But I don't know of anyone else that took 12,000 "shots" at the BRM3G, so you might say that I was the biggest "shooter".

Good to meet many of you at the BRM3G, look forward to seeing you guys at another event.

Regards,

Derek

great video

I had to think about this. To those not at the match-don't even think of criticizing the decision to halt. It was not rain, but lightning that really stopped the match. My squad was on the mountain(as it were) when the rain started and we had a couple shooters go through the sniper stage 5. Then lightning struck close by twice and you could feel it and smell it. We made a collective decision to stop and informed the RO's-they concurred and we boogied off the mountain. My car made it out, I guess a couple of trucks behind us got stuck. We were happy to get down. Saturday night was a real bummer, pouring rain, no match in sight and no hope. Then the 3 Gun Nation guys got a shootoff together and salvaged some real competition for Sunday morning. We thought maybe we can get some stages in the morning, but the roads into some of them were too deep. The shootoff was on a sloping hill site and was perfect Kentucky grass. It came off real well and was exciting to watch. I think that the Andy Horner and his staff deserve thanks for creating some of the most audacious stages ever. The Rock Castle club is a unique shooting environment and they could not have been nicer or more accommodating. There was no choice but to award prizes randomly. I feel bad for some competitors who really put a lot of blood and sweat equity into training-I don't have any answers. There are lessons learned in all matches and this match is no different. I am sure it will be studied and some alternatives, etc mapped out for the future regarding bad weather, transportation, and all that. Maybe a half dozen surplus M35 trucks with rain tops for transportation, with competitor vehicles staying in the lot for some stages. Maybe a permanent wooden structure hide for sniper rifles so that consistency is obtained shooter to shooter. The FN team is a class act and really worked hard to make the shootoff really good and it was! Only those who dare greatly can succeed greatly-I hope this match continues and is successful. I will come back-just not with a carsmile.gif I would also like to thank all the RO's who were good and technically helpful, and also Sabre Defence who sponsored the match and gave a lot of rifles!!

i was in one of those stuck trucks, sliding all the way down the hill sideways with no control heading towards the fence was some what scary.

But I don't know of anyone else that took 12,000 "shots" at the BRM3G, so you might say that I was the biggest "shooter".

Regards,

Derek

You didn't see me shoot Stage 5, did you? :roflol:

Thanks for putting the time into taking a bunch of great match pictures. Good luck!

Great video. I was hoping someone would get a video of Stage 8 :cheers:

HiCapMag shot the stage, then went through with the camera. He used IR, so even though it looks like it lit it up, the only light was from the Surefire. We did this around 9:45 Sunday morning, just before the last few shooters were allowed in.

Just want to put my .02 in the mix. I showed up the next day after the Oklahoma High Plains match and Andy, Mike O and myself worked at a fast pace to make everything ready for the ROs to shoot. Andy is a class act and we all worked hard to make it happen. Of course Stage 6 was the best stage out there:-). Working with Sean and Brian was great! The Sabre rifles rocked full auto with the gas system from Adam Arms!

In hind sight the 338 and Rec 7 should not have counted for score...we/Andy tried to include the guns/help our sponsers the best way we could. Lesson learned!

Calling the end of a match like Andy had to do was the right call IMHO. Sometimes an unpopular call is the right one, safety first! Of course if someone else thinks they had a better solution please contact Andy...he would love someone else to step up and take his spot:-). Maybe not but his leadership for the match is spot on.

Thank you to all the sponsers and shooters alike..since they/we need each other!

See you at the LaRue match!

RLTW,

Scott

That was a good post Scott , Thanks I figured several people had to work over a week to get the stages ready Blazing new trails in the woods.

An Idea that I had for guns like the 338 & or the Rx 7 would be to have the shooter engage the targets "Off the Clock" in a 30 second window before the stage timer started.

" The Ro would give you a 30 second period to take your shots with the stage gun hit the targets and get a bonus - when you got your shots don and opened the gun to show clear the RO hits the start timer.

That way we as game players get to enjoy the toy. Take last years Barret 50 , or the Minny Gun at LaRue . = just no way to enjoy shooting the gun with the clock running. May as well been trying to hit a fast ball with a bat = not relevant to competitions shooting. It is a trick to distract us from preparing for out Game shoot, and that is OK but I would like to enjoy the moment shooting a top rate sponsors gun.

Getting a penalty with a stage gun could not be any fun at all.

The Cave I know that the Resort Owner went into the Cave Sunday at 10:30 and shot video of the last shooters. I bet he has some good stuff. The Range Officers clearing out the gear in the cave at 11 looked worn down -worn Out tired. We owe them Big That would not have been any fun after the third or forth shooter the first day.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Well, the stages are down, the ranges are clean, the cars are packed, and Tammi and I heading back to VA in the morning. After some consideration, the scores recorded for the match are now posted on the match Updates/Results page.

I would like to thank the ROs and other staff for all their hard work, the guys at Sabre Defence, the folks at Rockcastle, and especially our sponsors. You can find links to our sponsors, and thereby their addresses and emails, on the BRM3G Sponsor page so you can send an email or note to the companies who donated the prizes you took home. Please take a few minutes to contact them and let them know you appreciate their generosity.

A big thanks also goes out to Mark Wills for providing entertainment and helping to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. Not only is Mark a great singer, he likes to shoot and, more importantly, is a genuinely nice guy. We hope he will be back to shoot with us again next year.

I appreciate the kind words from those who realize the severity of the situation which lead to the cancellation of the match. With the tornado nearby and the lightening strike above Stage 5, I'm glad we were not out that far when the most severe weather hit.

This year's photos and other info will be going up within a week or so, with more to follow.

Andy