Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll - What powder, brass and bullet are you using

pmd

.38 SC is already in the lead. I predict it will stay that way.

My load: .38 SC, 10.6g VV3n38, WSR, MG 124 JHP @ 1.235 OAL. Makes Major easily, but has a slight bit of primer flattening at times. Was thinking about experimenting with different powders here once this 4lb jug is toast.

Preston

10.5gr N105, 124gr MG JHP, 38 Super (once my FFL gets back into town and I can get my hands on my new ProSX... after 3 weeks of waiting.....but hey...who's frustrated? :P )

Edited by Bigpops

10.2 gr Accurate 7 behind a 125gr JHP any small pistol primer I can get, using 38 SuperComp anything I can find on the ground. A case pro makes sure it feeds well. I have shot some N105 but got turned off when a friends bullets started growing on a hot day, its a compressed load.

Powder choice has a lot to do with the Comp that you are using. I went to accurate because I bought an old Competitor with a BIG Dawson comp that was desingned for 175pf.

I prefer powders that can be bought in 8 lb jugs, shooting 10.2gr or 11.2 with 115's is like driving a gas guzzler, the powder measure goes down fast.

Smaller comps like the modern TruBor seem to run rather well on N350 @7.8gr and 124-5gr bullet. Same thing goes for IMR7625 at 7.3gr for 174pf.

Edited by CocoBolo

10.7 grains of VVN105, 125 Zero JHP, Starline SC brass, WSR primer 1.235 col, 171.5 pf

That's all you're getting out of that load??? :surprise: With all the same parameters, I get 175PF out of 10.0gr!!!

38 Super OPB, Thanks case pro, WSR, 8.4 VV 3N37, 135 Zero bullets. Could not get 130's to print. Apx 172 PF. I also use my remaining 135 CP plated bullets indoors. Not very accurate at distance, okay up to 75 feet.

Jay

BTW: Have not shotopen for last couple of years, trying to get a B card in Production........

Jay

I've had great success with Remington Super nickel coated brass. It costs a couple of cents more when new but I can find a lot more of it on the ground. I use IMR 4756 and either MG 124 grain JHP's or Zero 125 grain JHP's. The bullet selection is based on availability more than anything else.

I pretty much use Armscor brass exclusively. It is much more available and cheaper out here in Vegas. Of course the Armscor US office is right around the corner and some of my shooting buddies have worked there at one time or another. Most modern Armscor brass is marked "AP 38 Super RL" (RimLess) My gun has a 9mm breechface, so I can't chamber regular 38 Super.

Other than that I have had great luck with 8.7-9.0gr of 4756 (depending on temp and lot) pushing a 121gr MG IFP. 170.2pf at Nationals It makes major in my Hybricomp, and isn't too hard on the chamber. It is a little dirty, but not as bad as VN105- cheaper too.

Edited by VegasOPM