Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel punch vs. Brass punch

RangerTrace

I tried a search and got 25 pages on "punch", so I'll ask this very basic question.

I went to Home Depot today to buy a few tools for my range bag. I wanted a brass punch to get the extractor out, put the firing pin back in, etc. However, they only had steel ones. I went ahead and bought the steel ones along with some other stuff.

Later I found that Brownells had the brass set.

Should I order the brass set, or will the steel ones be OK? I've been using the soft brass alignment and push punches from my armorers kit which are getting bent and deformed.

I'm really only worried about damaging the tip of the extractor.

Edited by rangertrace

steel.

you shouldnt need to be pounding on anything, and with the extractor, youll appreciate the steel punch when you are prying it out of the slide.

You can use the fat end of the punch to push the extractor tip back into the breechface.

I use the brass tool rod and grind down as a punch.

I bought a set of steel punch at harbor freight for 5bucks. bad idea...you can sratch your gun with it easily

Ever since I only use brass and the scratch always comes off!!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Is this a collector item or a competition gun? Steel may mar the finish, especially if you aren't careful, but so will shooting it...

I'm cleaning the Open Benny gun more than anything right now, but I would use it on all of my 1911/2011s for cleaning. The open gun has an IonBond finish and I've heard that knife blades won't even scratch it. I'll be careful no matter which gun it is, I just don't want to break the tip of the extractor.

I'll probably order a brass one from Brownells tonight.

With the Aftec's I use a T handle allen wrench and a small flat tip screwdriver. With the T handle in one hand holding slight pressure I use the screwdriver to move the tip so that it aligns with the extractor tunnel. Has worked well for years.

I tried a search and got 25 pages on "punch", so I'll ask this very basic question.

Search tip....if you want to find all posts that have both "brass punch" and "steel punch" in them, use the following in the search field:

"brass punch"+"steel punch"

Sorry, no help on the real subject matter.