Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your 1911 outside of competition

Ohioguy

I would say most here shoot a S_I 1911 style pistols in comp. I am curious as to what 1911's you might shoot outside USPSA?

I currently don't own one, and the ones I have purchased in the past aren't worth mentioning (you get what you pay for). Going from a tuned , tricked out gun for USPSA, which brand do you look at and why?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently sitting here with a Springfield TRP Operator on my hip. I don't own range only guns, either they get shot in competition or they get carried, they all have a purpose. I would love to have a Champion, then have it worked over completely for a carry piece.

I have stockish looking Colts in .45 and .38 Super for IDPA. My "weapons" are a stockish Lightweight Commander and Detonics Combat Master in .45. My competition gun is a longslide, single stack .45 with all of the bells and whistles, but most of it is of little use, outside of the good sights and trigger. I've found that I don't like "custom features" when they're not custom work. I'd rather start with a base gun and add or modify to suit, rather than buy a production gun with most of what I want, but with often indifferent execution.

It's an added benefit of shooting the single stack and/or CDP divisions, to use an everyday option. But away from a game stage, it's a Kobra Carry or Kimber Combat Carry, except in the woods then its a "competition" 5 inch with a heavier recoil spring and ammo with a bit more juice. It's also fun to shoot IDPA with the Kobra or Kimber occasionally.

I would say most here shoot a S_I 1911 style pistols in comp. I am curious as to what 1911's you might shoot outside USPSA?

I currently don't own one, and the ones I have purchased in the past aren't worth mentioning (you get what you pay for). Going from a tuned , tricked out gun for USPSA, which brand do you look at and why?

I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Stock 4lb trigger w/polymer frame and 3" barrel. I sure do miss it.

The responses are pretty interesting. Split between Kimber and Springfield.

I don't currently have a 1911. The ones I have purchased in the past aren't worth mentioning (I got what I paid for).

I am thinking about purchasing one, but I am trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I am not sure if I want to get a Commander model or a FS that I could use in singlestack (or action pistol, IDPA, etc...). I don't want a full blown competition gun (though I do like the Para 16-40 and 14-45 Limited gun), but one that I can use and enjoy in the occasional match. I have been looking more at the match models from S&W, Springfield, STI, and Para. It would be nice to look at Wilson, Nighthawk, or Les Baer, but the budget doesn't allow it. Any suggestions on the makers I mentioned?

I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Stock 4lb trigger w/polymer frame and 3" barrel. I sure do miss it.

I meant aluminum frame

When I carried a 1911, almost invariably it was a full-sized, all-steel Government Model. At first those were factory guns from Colt. I carried a completely stock, blued steel, Series 80 Colt Government Model for a solid year in the early 1990s. I always loved how, the instant anyone saw that gun in my holster at a class, their first question was always, "What have you had done to it?" And their amazement when I said, "Nothing." "NOTHING?" they replied. "Yep, nothing. Just a totally stock Colt Government Model 1911 .45 auto. Radical concept, huh?"

Then I discovered the wonderful world of custom 1911s. Well, I guess you can't say "discovered," I had known it existed for years. Let's just say, "Then I actually started getting in, testing for articles, practicing with custom 1911s, and actually began owning some of my own." For about four years I carried a Wilson Defensive Combat Pistol - another carbon steel, full-sized, all-steel Government Model.

Eventually I defected to the superior Austrian technology. However, I have to admit I recently re-attended the Advanced Defensive Handgun Course at Marty Hayes' Firearms Academy of Seattle. I would have liked to do it with my Glock, but, the current primer situation being what it is, I literally couldn't find the primers to reload enough 9mm to shoot that class. OTOH I had beaucoup .45 ball. Opened up the gun safe, pulled out a Rock River Arms Limited Match Pistol - yet another full-sized, all-steel, Government Model-sized 1911 .45 - then carried it and dry fired the hell out of it for two weeks before the class. This was the first time in a good long while I had carried a 1911 Government Model for any significant length of time. It was cool, a real trip down memory lane. Of course, once the class was over it was back to my Glock. :lol:

I carry a lightly modified Colt LW Officers Model and have a weekness for Series 70 Colts for everything. That being said, I compete in IDPA with the Officers Model (and Series 70 full custom Colts) in IDPA with 7 rd. mags and don't feel bad. I also compete in USPSA with a P14 Para. If I was looking to start over I might try one of Colt's new Series 70's worked over but that's just me. Then again, any of the above mentioned are OK.

FWIW

Richard

My current carry 1911 is a full size Kimber Classic Custom that has an S&A magwell, a 1918 Colt safety lock and double diamond wood grips w/skateboard tape on the frontstrap. It also has a regular short guiderod and I have played with the springs so that it shoots/feels like my Colt that I shoot L10 with. It is a good, solid pistol. I have shot a couple of local matches with it just to be more familar with it ( I take it with me to all matches as a back-up to my Colt, fortunately it has stayed in the truck, the old home built FrankenColt hasn't quit yet :cheers: )

I have carried several Colts of varied vintage over the years though, all have served me well.

Hurley