Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning Stages Sucks

Flexmoney

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning only the classifier, the measly little 60-point stage in the 670 point match, that's what sucks. Shooting horrendously slow on the 200-point monster stage, double suck, as Orwell might have said.

Flex, I guess you summed up my A2DC match. Out of 10 stages, I shot stages 1 and 4 pretty well. I guess that just sucks.

The guy who wins a stage or two, and falls off the edge on the rest, will never win the match. The guy who's up toward the top on every stage is probably going to be walking to the podium when all is said and done. Now, realistically, if you have the skill level you're going to win stages. But that's not the goal, it's just a secondary byproduct of a good skill set and proper mental game.

Or that's my theory, anyway.

Plus, you have to be aware of the effect that winning a stage has on your mental game. Don't "sit back and relax" after a stage win. Or over-confidence...also a great thing to have when you've nailed that 60 point stage. Winning a stage WILL influence your mental state.

It is an excellent post. On the cusp of "B" class, and I now look at the whole match, not just a particular stage. SA tagged it, it get's in your head and you feel either incredibly high or incredibly low.

So don't let those little things in anymore and wait for the end result.

In many ways of life i have found that it is not the little successes that we must look at, do you grow tired of looking at the fence posts or gard rails as you look out the side window of your car. if you focus on where you are your vision is blurry, but if you look forward to where you want to be your vision is perfect.

The rear view mirror is small, a reminder of where we have been. there is a reason the windshield is so much larger. focus on what is ahead.

• 4 years later...

I'm a little confused. I thought the whole goal of shooting was to win stages. I've often heard that you shouldn't focus on winning the whole match, but instead focus on just one stage at a time - that if you perform consistently well on EVERY stage, your match performance as a whole will take care of itself. In my very simple way of thinking, it seems that the quest for a match win is a lot like eating an elephant - you've got to do it one bite at a time.

While reading through this thread I thought, OMG I've never seen so many GM's post on one thread before and this is good stuff. Then I noticed the date and am really curious, how many were GM's in 2003. You guys had vision :cheers:

Thanks for bringing this back Flex. I would have never dug that deep.

Back in 2003...we talked about shooting. Now, we see more and more gear queers wanting to improve their game with their credit card. (we saw it then too, but we were on the quest and didn't let gear chasing distract us).

Dig deep. Great info to be found.

Winning stages may work at the local club match, but you just have to take it 1 shot at a time at the bigger matches.

I gave up all of my goals of trying to get a stage win or tying to be top whatever.

Now my goal for every match is to call every shot.

I don't know if I'd say winning stages sucks.

I recently won my first stage ever and had to beat some pretty good shooters to do it.

That was never a specific goal.

I never walk up to the firing line thinking "I'm going to try to win this stage".

My mental dialog tends more toward:

"watch your front sight"

"call your shots"

"slow down and make sure you get that steel 1 for 1"

"move your butt"

I was going about my business and it just happened.

However, I see it as a milestone or tipping point in my progress.

What it means to me is that my fundamentals have become solid enough that I can win.

Now I just have to work on the mental game and become more consistent.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

We have a shooter at the club that we call Master Yoda(he has this cute hanging ears). He teaches taking the safe route around a stage, making sure of the Alphas. Few competitors take his advice until we realize the guy was national champion several times. He seldom wins a stage but ends up no lower that 3rd on every stage. At the end he just always seems to be the guy smiling at the camera with a piece of silverware in his grubby little paws.

Currently he is as blind as a bat and approaching the Super Senior class but still gets his face in the paper more often than not.

Guy came by the range the other day and said "that's cheating, you're practicing!". I said "I don't know an easier way to get better".

That said, one of my cherished awards is a solitary stage win medal from the Columbus Cup in Panama. Seems some guy named Grauffel also shot the match.

I'm not good enough to win stages or matches (yet, hopefully). What I do try to achieve during matches is consistency from stage to stage. I won "first U" once beating out a friend who beat my handily on every stage, except one big one. Being consistent allowed me to place higher than someone who on most stages was shooting better than me. I'd take a stage win if I could, but I'd also like to continue being consistent throughout a match at whatever level that happens to be.

~Mitch

I understand what your point is Flex, but when you start winning a few stages the confidence and consistent performance

are soon to follow..........

Not really. It's a self perpetuating cycle. If you are winning some stages and blowing other stages - your confidence takes just as big of a hit both ways. At best you are right back where you started (I also consider being stagnant the same as falling behind).

Bottom line is consistent performance is never going to happen until you decide you want it to.