Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning Stages Sucks

Flexmoney

Driving home from our local match today, I couldn't help but think about this thread. We had four stages today. I won two of them and came in second on another. I got third overall <_< . I totally blew the first stage with mental errors. I have a bad habit of going into a match thinking it's the world shoot or something and letting my nerves get so wound up that I sometimes actually start shaking waiting for the buzzer.

For the first time ever, I was able to completely regroup after the first stage. All I did was think of the rest of the match as practice. Put the dot in the "A" zone and pull the trigger. Call every shot and get through the stage the most efficient way I can.

Besides the blown stage, I feel really good about the other three. I don't think I could have run them any better than I did. I'm not going to beat myself up about the one like I would have in the past. I feel like I learned something today and I just opened a new door. My mind has been my own worst enemy. Can't wait for next Sundays match :)

Yea!!!! Don...Ray and Barry better watch out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before i say something let's see the 2008 USPSA_Limited_Production_Revolver_Nationals - Final results for Limited

1 - Travis T. - stage wins = 1

2 - Todd J. - Stage wins = 1

3 - Ted p. - Stage Wins = 4

There's more

Travis

A = 273

B = 14

C = 70

D = 9

M= 1

Total Time = 229.01

Todd

A = 280

B = 5

C = 69

D = 13

M= 1

N/S = 2

Total Time = 231.35

Ted

A = 282

B = 16

C = 60

D = 11

Total Time = 241.37

What it means????? Have no idea :wacko:

Just kidding.

I think Travis is the best explanation of this thread. He wins only one stage and had the best total time,1 MISS and 9 D's. He's consistency in every stage was the key, his worst classification in a stage was 24th in stage 1, in 12 stages he is top ten, and only 3 over the 20th.

So I agree with all of you guys who think we don't have to win the stage, we have to shoot it the best way I can, but never shoot it in 100% of my skills, I shoot 110% in my practice, but in matches i have to stay in 95%, if the things going hard, maybe 97% but never 100%. 100% means i very close to make some mistake and put everything down.

So that's it, I know I have to improve my English, and I'm working on that <_<

PS - I think i'll change my name to just "T"

Edited by BrazilianShooter

Before i say something let's see the 2008 USPSA_Limited_Production_Revolver_Nationals - Final results for Limited

1 - Travis T. - stage wins = 1

2 - Todd J. - Stage wins = 1

3 - Ted p. - Stage Wins = 4

There's more

Travis

A = 273

B = 14

C = 70

D = 9

M= 1

Total Time = 229.01

Todd

A = 280

B = 5

C = 69

D = 13

M= 1

N/S = 2

Total Time = 231.35

Ted

A = 282

B = 16

C = 60

D = 11

Total Time = 241.37

What it means????? Have no idea :wacko:

Just kidding.

I think Travis is the best explanation of this thread. He wins only one stage and had the best total time,1 MISS and 9 D's. He's consistency in every stage was the key, his worst classification in a stage was 24th in stage 1, in 12 stages he is top ten, and only 3 over the 20th.

So I agree with all of you guys who think we don't have to win the stage, we have to shoot it the best way I can, but never shoot it in 100% of my skills, I shoot 110% in my practice, but in matches i have to stay in 95%, if the things going hard, maybe 97% but never 100%. 100% means i very close to make some mistake and put everything down.

So that's it, I know I have to improve my English, and I'm working on that <_<

PS - I think i'll change my name to just "T"

A lot of people only go 80% in matches, but I don't think the realize it... they are so afraid of blowing up they go way slow... I agree you should go 95% or so to keep from blowing up. I shot 1 stage to 100% maybe even 105%, that paid off. I've shot 20-30 that speed and blown up.

One issue that hasn't been discussed is what 95% looks/feels like in a match, because it sure as hell isn't the same thing as in practice. I would venture to say what you think is 95% in a match is more like 90%. What I mean is that bumping up against your limits happens at a lower % in matches than it does in practice. I think many newer shooters THINK they are at 95%, but in match reality, they are over their 100%. Match pressure, along with a cold shooter changes where those percentages fall... imho

Edited by JThompson