Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning Stages Sucks

Flexmoney

I understand what your point is Flex, but when you start winning a few stages the confidence and consistent performance

are soon to follow..........

Not really. It's a self perpetuating cycle. If you are winning some stages and blowing other stages - your confidence takes just as big of a hit both ways. At best you are right back where you started (I also consider being stagnant the same as falling behind).

Bottom line is consistent performance is never going to happen until you decide you want it to.

My point is if you are good enough to win stages then you are certainly to a point you understand the importance of consistent performance.....

Edited by boz1911

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Masters have the required ability to win stages at the national level.

The majority of those Masters may understand the importance of it - but that doesn't change the fact that they still try to burn stages down.

Understanding and execution are two very different things.

Now, we see more and more gear queers wanting to improve their game with their credit card.

Well Flex for some it's easier to "whip it out" (The Visa card) than do the work.

There is that...the work.

Then is also the hurdle of having to look into the mirror and get an honest answer of what the real deal is.

And then, there is just the simple fact that some folks just don't know what to do to improve, so they stick with doing stuff they can do (like buy gear).

That said, one of my cherished awards is a solitary stage win medal from the Columbus Cup in Panama. Seems some guy named Grauffel also shot the match.

Rumor is that you'll be assassinated by the French mafia after they get done mopping up M2... ;):lol:

I agree 100%. Stages wins are nice, but I would rather be more consistent. Here's an example. I just shot Benny Hill's 3gun match. I shoot iron sights. There were 3 of us that finished very close to each other. I had 2 stage wins, another guy had 2 stage wins, and another had 3. The guy with 2 stage wins won. He was more consistent than me or the guy who won 3 stages. I would rather have a 99 on every stage.

hmmm maybe I need to try that 'practice' thing.

Now, we see more and more gear queers wanting to improve their game with their credit card.

Well Flex for some it's easier to "whip it out" (The Visa card) than do the work.

I think that's a little harsh.

You can't spend your way to a championship.

It takes skill to win and that is not for sale, it has to be earned.

The finest blaster money can buy won't get you there if you can't shoot.

But .......

Quality gear goes a long way toward greasing the wheels of competition.

A gun that won't run will destroy any chance you have to be competitive.

A Jam-O-Matic won't get you there no matter how good you are.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

I'm a half blind, fat 53 year old cripple. And if I want to call a stage win over some 26 year "superdude" a victory. I will. And you'll like it!

:goof:

Jim

I'm a half blind, fat 53 year old cripple. And if I want to call a stage win over some 26 year "superdude" a victory. I will. And you'll like it!

:goof:

Jim

I hear you Jimmy. I agree with what Flex is saying, but for some, A stage win is like winning an entire match. Some folks aren't going to win a match ever. They could practice 8 hrs a day 5 days a week foir years and not be able to win for one reason or another. To those people, a stage win would feel pretty good. It's easy for a top level shooter to make a statement like that, but for us mortals it feel pretty good to win a stage or two. ;)

JT

I think that's a little harsh.

You can't spend your way to a championship.

It takes skill to win and that is not for sale, it has to be earned.

The finest blaster money can buy won't get you there if you can't shoot.

But .......

Quality gear goes a long way toward greasing the wheels of competition.

A gun that won't run will destroy any chance you have to be competitive.

A Jam-O-Matic won't get you there no matter how good you are.

Tls

I'm a firm believer in never letting equipment hold you back. If you have the best, than the only place to focus is on yourself. Yeah,yeah, I know there are guys that made GM with a freakin Bersa an it's the archer not the arrow but why not have equipment that is A+ if possible...

The ONLY advantages I might have over the younger, leaner, guys with eagle eyesight is that I might be able to outspend them and a dedicated work ethic......

Thats right, I still need to learn this the hard way. Most of the time I

push way past my abilities and win a stage or two, then because I take so

many risks I really crash a stage or two. Puts me from 10th to 2nd :roflol:

Altough I am starting to see the bigger picture and have started to play "match"

tactics to my advantage.. :ph34r:

I'm a firm believer in never letting equipment hold you back. If you have the best, than the only place to focus is on yourself. Yeah,yeah, I know there are guys that made GM with a freakin Bersa an it's the archer not the arrow but why not have equipment that is A+ if possible...

What one NEEDS in the way of equipment is far less expensive that what some WANT in the way of equipment and far worse is their on BELIEF that the equipment is whats holding them back.

And what makes the equipment A+? Price?

Edited by Crusher

If you think winning stages sucks, try not winning stages. Any. Ever. dry.gif

The point is to not try at all bro.

I dunno about you, but I'd much rather win the match than have a few stage wins.

I know what you're saying, Jake. I won my class at a local match last month; my first class win ever. Still, it would help my self-image (the weakest part of my "game") to win just one stage overall. I usually have to do something once before I can convince myself that I can do it at all. If that makes any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd tack this on since it's pretty much on subject. I had my first stage win at the local monthly match today, on a classifier stage even :surprise: I also shot my second penalty free match in a row and took 2nd "B" class!

• 1 month later...
I love winnning stages, especially when I get like 5 or 6 behind me out of an 8 stage match! It let,s you plan a bit better. KurtM

How much more important is it in time+ scored games to win stages than matches scored by hit factor? I'm talking about non-USPSA 3/multi-gun and IDPA.

Driving home from our local match today, I couldn't help but think about this thread. We had four stages today. I won two of them and came in second on another. I got third overall <_< . I totally blew the first stage with mental errors. I have a bad habit of going into a match thinking it's the world shoot or something and letting my nerves get so wound up that I sometimes actually start shaking waiting for the buzzer.

For the first time ever, I was able to completely regroup after the first stage. All I did was think of the rest of the match as practice. Put the dot in the "A" zone and pull the trigger. Call every shot and get through the stage the most efficient way I can.

Besides the blown stage, I feel really good about the other three. I don't think I could have run them any better than I did. I'm not going to beat myself up about the one like I would have in the past. I feel like I learned something today and I just opened a new door. My mind has been my own worst enemy. Can't wait for next Sundays match :)