Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insure guns on planes?

If I recall correctly, there is a federal law that limits the liability of an airline who loses luggage. Insurance is a safe bet and will buy some peace of mind.

ETA: From what I've seen so far, it appears federal law limits the airline to a maximum liability of $3,300.00 for lost luggage. Of course, the airline may have its own contractual limitations (in the small print).

Edited by AR Gunner

If I recall correctly, there is a federal law that limits the liability of an airline who loses luggage. Insurance is a safe bet and will buy some peace of mind.

Thanks, AR - I think I'll buy some insurance at the airport,

if they have it. Just in case. Jack

Thanks, AR - I think I'll buy some insurance at the airport,

if they have it. Just in case. Jack

I just got off the phone with my insurance agent, and she

recommended buying insurance at the airport - I'll try it -

not sure how to do that, but I'll look for an insurance agent

at the airport in about 40 minutes.

Wish I had thought of this a few days ago:((

Jack

Check with homeowners insurance.

Great suggestion, just called my agent and insured the Limited and Open guns for a year at replacement cost, approx 8k. Cost 160.00 per year. It's worth it to me.

Edited by boz1911

i had some friends ask the same question last week ...Homeowners or even Renters Policies (depending on which company) covers all personal property anywhere in the world , also check your firearms limits because most companies only cover up to $2500 per item up to a Max of $5000 total ......if you loose your $5000 pistol they may only cover $2500 (minus your ded) best is to have it "Scheduled" before you fly, usually a Floater will be just $40-$60 (depending on the company) a year

best is to contact your insurance company and ask....

Edited by ogiebb

I got my guns scheduled through my homeowner's insurance policy about 2 days ago.

Last year when we landed back in Ohio from the "Mud-Bowl" Nationals in Tulsa, our luggage didnt make it from the layover in Chicago. I was worried sick until about 11pm that night when they finally delivered my bag. I unzipped it right there in the driveway, to make sure my Limited gun was still there. :)

When I took my gun back East this summer, the airline said it would not sell me any insurance for my gun, so I called my homeowners insurance company. They said that if my gun was stolen, it was covered by my homeowners policy; but if the airline lost it, it was not covered. They sold me a $2000 valuable property policy that covered the cost of my gun for only $30/year. It covers me even if I leave the gun at the range or drop it in the ocean. Not that I was planning to do that or anything. Anyway, it was definitely worth the peace of mind!