Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 owners - need your opinions please

Well it looks like I have sucked up enough and have been given the green light to order a 1050. :rolleyes:

Before I do I wanted to ask the current 1050 owners if you have any regrets or wish you would have gone with the 650 instead. I have read all of the threads regarding the 1050 but most of the negative stuff envolves old issues.

I currently have a 550 with a casefeeder. I love it for the 40's but the 9mm is difficult to load in regards to time and smoothness on that machine. My plan is to get the 1050 and have it for the 9mm only. The 550 will load 40's and 38 super.

I also plan to order the MR bullet feeder and the RF 100 primer machine. I want to be able to sit down and crank out a bucket load of ammo and go shoot, not spend hours reloading. Between my wife and I we shoot a LOAD of 9mm.

So thats the story. Any regrets out there in BE world?

Thanks,

Steve

When I initially had my 650 set up with a KISS bulletfeeder I would have told you that for pistol cartridges it was fine. However with the advent of non toxic primered ammo with different primer pocket dimensions I would not have anything less than a 1050.

I now have two 1050's (one for .223 and one setup for .40 and 9mm) and the 650 has been relegated to large primer duty. I have no regrets with going with the 1050's

Edited by smokshwn

Hello: I have a 550 and a RL1050. I load 9mm,40 and now 223 on the 1050. It really works well for 9mm and 40. I find it is a little slow for the 223 but that's ok since it is much faster than using a single stage press. I am using all Dillon dies for 9mm since it seems smoother that way. I remove the crimp on all 9mm brass since I use any brass I find :cheers: With a bullet feeder you should be able to crank out ammo very quickly. I don't use a bullet feeder but just loaded 3000 rounds of 9mm last week. The primer tube filler can give some problems but when you learn how it works and what makes it not work it is great. I found the most problems are with primers that are not round. I would suggest you try and find a RL1050 to load 9mm on. They have a shorter stroke and seem smoother to me. I hope this helps. The only bad part is you will want to load 40 on the 1050 as well :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I don't have a bullet feeder for mine and I load primers with the extinct VibraPrime. My only regret is I didn't order one a long time ago. My normal routine is to load 4-5k rounds in a couple of days then shoot for a couple of months. It seemed that when I only used a 550 I was reloading every week.

Remember if you buy from Brian you get a free bullet tray and free shipping :cheers:

Well it looks like I have sucked up enough and have been given the green light to order a 1050. :rolleyes:

Before I do I wanted to ask the current 1050 owners if you have any regrets or wish you would have gone with the 650 instead. I have read all of the threads regarding the 1050 but most of the negative stuff envolves old issues.

I currently have a 550 with a casefeeder. I love it for the 40's but the 9mm is difficult to load in regards to time and smoothness on that machine. My plan is to get the 1050 and have it for the 9mm only. The 550 will load 40's and 38 super.

I also plan to order the MR bullet feeder and the RF 100 primer machine. I want to be able to sit down and crank out a bucket load of ammo and go shoot, not spend hours reloading. Between my wife and I we shoot a LOAD of 9mm.

Thanks,

Steve

I bought a 1050 in .45acp in the early 90's. I am just now really beginning to use it...it's purring like a kitten. Go for it. Regards, Kirby

I have a Super 1050 that I load only rifle on, while a 650 does all my pistol ammo. My guess is that if you buy the 1050, you will eventually load both 40 and 9mm on it... :cheers:

the 1050 is a great loader that you can really crank some rounds out of, the primer system will possibly give you fits at first, but keep at it and you will get it tuned.

jj

No regrets here.

You'll get your first 1050 and you honestly won't want to reload on the 550 any longer. That's when you'll probably get a caliber conversion or two. Then you'll get spoiled and convince yourself that 20 minutes to do a caliber conversion is too long and you'll want to get another 1050 (or two.)

Seems like the normal plan is to load only one caliber on it.. but most people start loading others.. especially if they're the same primer size

I started '40 only', then added .223 (first to process the brass with the Dillon trimmer, then started loading there too), then 9MM, then 38SPL... the machine (generally) runs so well, it's hard to go back.

I did keep my 550's for large primer loading and for quick changes if the 1050 was setup for 40 and I wanted to load a few hundred .223 or something..

I like my 1050, seems like there is less downtime than on my 650, also it just feels right.

Plus, you will be poised to take advantage of the He-Man 650 Haters 1050 Snobbery Club whenever someone decides to run with it. :D

:cheers:

I may or may not be CEO of such a club but I'll bet I am qualified to be somewhere on the BoD.... :roflol:

I know this isn't the exact topic but it does relate... I forum member/customer once asked me, "Is the fact the 1050 primes on the downstroke enough to justify buying the press (over a 650)"? My one word answer was "yes."

be

I know this isn't the exact topic but it does relate... I forum member/customer once asked me, "Is the fact the 1050 primes on the downstroke enough to justify buying the press (over a 650)"? My one word answer was "yes."

be

SOLD!

Edited by Bigpops

Good for you!

When I made my purchase from BE, I opted for a 650 rather than a 550 because I wanted the auto-indexing feature. At the time I thought the 1050 was "too big" for me, and plus the 1 year warranty, those made me choose the 650 even though the 1050 was just a little bit more.

I didn't know at the time that the 1050 primed on the downstore, and didn't know I'd need a primer pocket deswager too. Had I known back then, I'd have purchased the 1050.

I don't regret the 650 purchase, it'll do a fine job besides a 1050 when it's time to purchase another reloader (my wife shoots more 9mm in a season than me now).

be

That and primer pocket swaging are the big two reasons.....

In all honesty, the 1050 primer system is such a PITA that I consider the presses to be single caliber set-ups --- I just don't want to have to disconnect the priming system to change toolheads....

For 9 mm I'd never go back to a 650, unless the 1050 was broken and I really needed some ammo. For .40 and soon for .223, the 650 will do fine --- but if I shoot a 1000 rounds of each in a year that's a lot....

Thanks,

Steve

I bought the 1050 a few months ago and I LOVE it. It took me a while to make it run smoothly but now it's reloader's heaven :-) Maybe the machine needs some time for breaking in, too. I have the primer filler, too. It saves a lot of time. I accept the ~2 in 1000 upside down primers in exchange for a very swift and smooth workflow.

I didn't actually clock the time but I'd say it takes me 1,5 to 2 hours loading 1000 pcs of 9mm, including quality checking (weighing, OAL, etc.) and operating the primer filler every 100 rounds.

I would not trade my 1050 in for any other machine. However, it is twice the price of a 650 and has a limited warranty.

I would, however, NOT go with the Dillon Terminator scales.

Please see my own thread (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84209) for further details, if interested.

This forum here was a HUGE help for me getting started.

It is with a tear in my eye.....and a lump in my throat....I can now announce that I will be ordering my 1050 from Brian in the morning.

I feel like a kid at Christmas! A fat kid with cake! A......well you get the picture.

Thanks for all of the advice and help.

Brian...talk to you soon! :cheers:

Matt Burkett once said, the the 1050, you can always get your money out of it when you want to sell it.

I brought a used 1050. I got a smoking deal on it. I will never use anything else.

I just brought some caliber conversions for it. That was a pain, at least for the fisrt time. But I have the process down and it seems pretty straight forward.

Next time, I will save and buy another 1050-I am basically pretty lazy.

Make the plunge and you will never regret it.

Matt Burkett once said, the the 1050, you can always get your money out of it when you want to sell it.

I brought a used 1050. I got a smoking deal on it. I will never use anything else.

I just brought some caliber conversions for it. That was a pain, at least for the fisrt time. But I have the process down and it seems pretty straight forward.

Next time, I will save and buy another 1050-I am basically pretty lazy.

Make the plunge and you will never regret it.

Thanks!

It was ordered last week. I have been watching the lane for the big brown truck.