Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi caliber powder?

B_Seehawer

I know that there is no such thing as a cure-all. I'm shooting lead in 9mm, .38 Super, .40, and .45. Is there single powder that is relatively clean burning that is a decent choice for all of these or am I stuck with having to buy different powders?

ganderman

I know that there is no such thing as a cure-all. I'm shooting lead in 9mm, .38 Super, .40, and .45. Is there single powder that is relatively clean burning that is a decent choice for all of these or am I stuck with having to buy different powders?

ganderman

If velocity is not of paramount importance, you can use WW231 for

all those calibers - but you won't make major with the .38 Super.

It definitely depends on what you want to do but if you're after nice all-around loads, Solo 1000 is a good powder under lead. It'll get you to minor in 9mm and 38 Super and major in .40 and .45. Titegroup + lead is usually quite smoky as Titegroup burns hot.

My .38 super is purely for fun. My 9 mm loads would be for minor, .40 for major and the .45 I would really have to screw up not to make major, even though I don't shoot the .45 in competition. Gotta love an unreliable Kimber out of the box!!

ganderman

WST works well with lead in 9, 40, and 45, never tried in it 38 Super as I only shoot major with JHP's. Tite group is also good in 9 and 40, it will smoke like an old freight train but it works well. WST is very similar to 231. Solo 1000 works well in 40 and 45, have not tired it in 9 or 38 Super. N320 very nice in the 40 and 45.

IMR 7625 is a slower powder than the others listed here and is most often used in compensated guns, but I have shot some in 40 as well as 38 Super, 9 mm in std guns under very light bullets like 135gr 40.

Powder preferences are more about the feel of the impluse in competition shooting so we tend to shoot what feels good even if it smokes a bit. It gets more complicated when you factor in bullet weight, some powders work great with a heavy bullet versus a lite bullet. Some powders are a little dirty but most will go to the end of a 400 round match without clogging the works except for wheel guns they need super clean powder.

Hodgdon has their reloading data online http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp so you can look for loads in the bullet weight for each caliber and see what works. They don't have that many lead loads but some. Powder is plentiful these days and a pound will load from 700 to 1500 rounds depending on charge. One pound = 7000 grains, I wouldn't commit to an 8 lb keg till I know it works for me.

Edited by CocoBolo

Checked my load book. This is interesting.

9 mm 124gr Montana gold = 4.7 gr WST 130pg OAL 1.150

40 S&W 185Gr Precision = 4.7 gr WST 170 pf OAL 1.180

45 ACP 200gr Precision = 4.7 gr of WST 170 pf. OAL 1.240

It just does not get any better than that load all 3 without changing the powder measure.

ganderman

A fellow shooter uses American Select in all his relaoding and swears by it. I have used it in mild loads of 38 Spceial, 357 Mag, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

ganderman

I've been using W 231 and just switched to WST when I started loading lead bullets because everyone said it is less smokey. Can't tell any difference on the smoke, but it seems to be a little more accurate in 38 Special.

Checked my load book. This is interesting.

9 mm 124gr Montana gold = 4.7 gr WST 130pg OAL 1.150

40 S&W 185Gr Precision = 4.7 gr WST 170 pf OAL 1.180

45 ACP 200gr Precision = 4.7 gr of WST 170 pf. OAL 1.240

It just does not get any better than that load all 3 without changing the powder measure.

You are going to have to change the powder funnel. Expect some tweaking...