Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things you bought for the sport

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hits: Kart barrels, BarSto barrels, Dillon RL 450, 550, 1050, Ohler chronograph, Wilson-Rodgers magazines, Devel conversions for said mags, Decot glasses, Krieger barrel blanks, Wilson Arms barrel blanks, Firebird FB15 recievers, Hornady 55 FMJ bullets

Misses: McCormick Titanium hammer, plated bullets

Please keep in mind that the list above covers several decades, and some products may no longer be available.

Hits:

CED 7000 timer - the way a timer should be!

UpLula - Mine works great, saved my thumb for the big sticks

Used Aimpoint XD - great bang for the buck

Surefire EarPro SonicDefenders - love them better than muffs! Good for rifle/shotgun too.

Misses:

Wrist strap for CED 7000

Stroller as range cart (too skinny, need different model)

Oakley Sunglasses - the paint peeled

Hits: This forum (the top winner by far), Brazos Open blasters, Springfield guns (lifetime warranty regardless of what number owner you are), JP-15 upper, Dillon XL 650, CED 7000 timer, Bladetech DOH holsters, CR Speed belt and Versa Pouches, Adidas Corner Biltz, Shooting Chrony Beta Master, LULA loader for .223 mags, Milt Sparks VM2 holster (for carry), my $50 utility wagon from Tractor Supply Company to haul all by cr@p around at matches and my Tundra to get me there.

Misses: Any cheap plastic or Kydex holster or mag pouch, Nike Landsharks (too little arch and heel padding, YMMV), Rudy glasses and the big one - having waited so long in my life to join this sport.

Hits: (In no particular order)

Dillon Presses (650, 1050, 900)

Micrometer seating Dies

Lee U dies

Thumbler Tumbler (The BIG ONE!)

EGW Built Para

Millennium built Edge

STI Tru-Bore

Barry Mount

Meopta

Aimpoint Comp M

JP Rifle

Remington 11-87

Mossberg 590A

Rudy Glasses

Under-Armour cleats

Small trailer to haul all our gear to matches

C-R Speed belts (One for every division or sport)

C-R Speed Holsters

Blade Tech Holsters

Celestron 400mm spotting scope. (you can see a .223 hit on paper at 300 yards!)

Misses: ( Again, in no particular order)

A boat load of various guns that I'll never use

Certain holsters I'll never use and would give to a newbie.

At least one or two guns that while they fit the sports I shoot were less than a good buy.

Not starting 15 years earlier

Glock 17C (What was I thinking? It is useless in any sport I know of)

A very expensive pair of German boots that fell apart.

A lousy barrel installation by an otherwise excellent smith that caused me no small amount of grief till I fixed it with my trusty dremel tool.

I probably have a crapload more stuff that could fit this category, but in the interest of not bashing manufacturers, I will not go into some details

Jim

Hits: SV Limited Gun, Dillon 650, Redding G-Rx sizing Die, Rx Shooting glasses

Misses: ACOG (good, just not for 3-Gun distances we shoot in the midwest), Pro Ear Dimension Muffs (good, just too big for running around doing IPSC or 3-Gun)

Hit: Dawson Signature Limited Gun (Priceless), Dawson Tuned Mags (also Priceless) Ghost Holster, CR speed Belt & Pouches, Oakley's, Atlanta Arms ammo, Adidas Corner Blitz +1, Nike Land sharks (Shinny Toes not so bad after a couple of muddy days)

Misses: Glock 34 (great gun just not for me) Yellow Under armor shirt (sweat bees love them)

For me...

Hits:

Tanfoglio/EAA Witness Elite Limited (I think my gun search is at an end, permanently)

Chronopro digital chronograph (just works, no fussing)

Hornady LNL-AP press

Montana Gold Bullets

Titegroup powder

Skate tape

Slide Glide

CR speed belts

Midway small range bag

FN SLP Mk2

Techwear shirts

UPLULA

Misses:

E3 powder (won't meter)

Various rubber or suede-like grips and grip tape

Progrip

Midway's large range bag (nice, but just too much to lug around)

HK 91 (it is possible to have too much gun in 3-gun)

Rainier bullets (tumbles out of some of my guns)

ESS ICE glasses w/ RX insert

Am I the only one skimming the hits and reading the misses?

No.

Guys, this whole thread is on the edge. We have a very clear rule on this forum that we DO NOT bash firearm or shooting related manufacturers. I'm gonna leave this open while the staff thinks on it.

No more specific products named in the 'miss' column or this will quickly disappear...

More to come...

Hit: Rudy Glasses, Unique tek powder bar for Dillon powder measures. Mr Bullet Bullet feeder. Dillon 1050.

Most of my misses are posted

Edited by AWLAZS

Not to change the subject... but why do some of you not like Rem oil, just curious. I personally like it for cleaning and light oiling.

My experience Dan is that I keep my guns in an area that gets warm. Rem oil just wouldn't be there the next time I went to the range. I too use it for cleaning, but for shooting, a heavier oil is a must. I had some failures as a result of this oil just not being there in th long run.

Mobile1 has been a hit with me.

Not to change the subject... but why do some of you not like Rem oil, just curious. I personally like it for cleaning and light oiling.

My experience Dan is that I keep my guns in an area that gets warm. Rem oil just wouldn't be there the next time I went to the range. I too use it for cleaning, but for shooting, a heavier oil is a must. I had some failures as a result of this oil just not being there in th long run.

Mobile1 has been a hit with me.

Thanks for replying, I use it for cleaning too, I agree that it should not be used as lube. Mobil 1 is great stuff. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Hits:

Two Dan's:

Dan Sierpina

Practical Pistol Services (back in the 80's & 90's)& sometimes 2000's

Dan Bedell

Bedell Custom

Both men make pistols that work!

misses,

to many to list...

Edited by 9x21

Hits: Dillon SDB and 550, Glock 35 (I used to hate Glocks till I bought one; now I love them!)

Misses: 9x21...bought it, then 9x19 major was un-banned, rendering 9x21 useless and brass expensive. Crappy 1911 grip mount for a red dot...it was made of some sort of weak aluminum and ended up cracking in two pieces, but it was one of the few options back in the late 80's to early 90's.

• 2 months later...

Hits: These forums, of course. The sport, the people in it, and the Blue stuff that I use to keep the guns fed. Austrian plastic.

Misses: Stuff, up to and including whole guns, that were purchased after much research and thought, only to become useless at the next rules change.

This thread has become boring. I think it's ok to list a product as a miss, just don't bash it. I like Rem Oil-works for me. Someone's miss is someone else's hit.

Hit: Glock 34-the perfect production gun. Glock 35-the perfect Limited 10 gun. Ky-Tac holsters, CR Speed anything, Oakley Flak Jackets and M-Frames in clear, Atlanta Arms and Ammo, Beyond the Fundamentals a key reference that gets better as I get better, Matt Burkett Videos, Maxpedition Falcon II,Green Eyes and Black Rifles

Miss: Blade-Tech 1911 Holster, double pouches of any kind, NRA Range bag by 5.11, Oakley Flak Jacket in Gray, Storm 3200 Case (too big to fly with), Blackhawk pants, Converse Tactical Boots

Biggest hit for me: having met people that have become lifelong friends, really true friends the kind that would drive through states or fly oceans to come help if you needed it!!!!!! Really great manufacturers that know how to keep customers, and skills that have made me a better gun handler. As for stuff, anything with LaRue, JP, Dillon, Nordic, DPMS, Dawson, Kidd, Triangle, Sabre, STI, SV, Trijicon, Decot, or way too many others to list,......on it.

Misses, POLLS!!!!!!!Race type holsters, pretty much anything with velcro on it, (it will fail at some point), plastic sunglasses, Oaks or Rudys, buying cheap to "save" :roflol: money!!!!, POLLS!!!!!!!!, remington 870, lead bullets, POLLS!!!!!!!, trying to put on a match and shoot well in it.

Trapr

Oh, yeah did I list POLLS!!!!!!!

Hits: Springfield XD, Dillon 550B, Slide glide, Tru-glo FO sights (red front, green rear), Montana Gold bullets, N320, Uplula Mag loader, Browning Buckmark Cocobolo Hunter (man that thing is fun to shoot!), Howard Light Electronic Muffs....

Misses: I generally ask a *lot* of questions before I buy something so this list is short but, any and all Pro-Mag Magazines, Wolf Brand steel cased ammo (my only fail to extracts ever in an XD), and finding out my SERPA with the paddle mount is not IDPA legal... at the moment... :)

Edited by Classic_jon