Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long did it take you to get to: C, B, A, M, GM

JeffWard

My first match was an all classifier match, and I made C in L10. The following year, at the same classifer match I made B in Limited. 3rd year in, I'm less than 2% from A in Open and plan on planting myself here until I make M. I definitely prescribe to the plan of pick one gun and stick with it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM in 3 years. The first year of that I was in the wilderness until I was turned onto the invention of dryfire and the Enos forums.

Dryfire will take you far...but it is experiences in matches and having a good understanding of tactics and movement that will fill in the rest.

I am living proof that anyone in this game who puts their mind to it and puts the work in can earn their GM card. My fist card was D-L10 seven years later I got my open GM card.

...Not much room to do movement drills in my condo...

JeffWard

Think of all the stages we shoot that require a one to three step move, you have enough room in any condo/apartment/garage to practice those.

It took me 2 years to get to M in Limited. After that when I shot L10 and Production I was able to pick up my M card in each of those divisions within a couple of months. I then sat in M in all divisions for a few years, not really able to put all the pieces together to make GM. Then I got Lasic...shot a match two days later and scored something around 99% on the classifier...holy cow, I could see the front sight better and call my shots. That made all the difference for me and I was able to get my GM card in Production eight months later. I was especially proud I never re-shot a classifier stage...I just took my score whatever it was because that was what I was prepared to do.

I think I could have made GM sooner, but I never really worried about my classification that much. I was always looking at my overall finish in matches. I figured as long as I was progressing and meeting my goals in that regard the classification would take care of itself. Consequently, I often didn't hang it out on classifier stages for fear of making a mistake that would affect my overall finish.

• 2 months later...

From U to M Class in Limited was 1 Year for me…… It took lots of bullets, practice, matches and determination to achieve this though. Strangely enough, I don’t dry fire much at all. Maybe once a month if that? I prefer to go to club matches or live fire practice (usually 2 – 3 times a week) instead. I know I can optimize my draws and reloads to save a few tenths of a second, but I am losing seconds due to poor stage movement when compared to GM’s so I choose to currently focus on that instead. When I get the movement stuff optimized I will go back to perfecting my draw and reloads.

• 4 weeks later...

i have been shooting for three years

1yr @ d

2yrs @c

clawing my way to B

With that said I want to say that is great to see people who are wanting to move up instead of SANDBAGGING I guess there are more of us than them.Butt sandbaggers still (S#$%) if you get my drift

• 1 month later...

Took me 6 months in limited to make B class, shooting one match a month, and no re-shoots on classifiers. Shoot one classifier match but blew it pushing way to hard. I havent been really practicing until about 3 weeks ago. Now Im dry firing at least every other day and my goal is A class by next November. New work schedule will allow for more practice and hopefully some travel time to other mathes since we only shoot once a month.

Edited by converse15

i have been shooting for three years

1yr @ d

2yrs @c

clawing my way to B

ha ha same here....I don't get to shoot as often as I would like ( a couple times a month) with 2 boys that play high school basketball and then year round AAU. I teach and coach football and basketball at a middle school so come summer time I shoot 3 times a week.

I am a 59.66% right now...anything higher than a 50% on the next classifier and I'm a "B"......although I might rather stay a "C" until after the Florida Open is over ;) ;)

Started 20 years ago with a Beretta shooting in D class. Have moved up to A class limited but aging bones and failing eyes will prevent me from getting my M card. Guess I am happy to be where I am. Shooting every weekend. Bshooter(Had this handle since I was a B shooter)

• 1 month later...

Shot 1 year (2006) 100 rds every saturday I could with my first gun, HK usp .45 at indoor range. In Nov. 06 I saw Jerry Miculek's vid on youtube. I traded the HK for a 625 bought the Advanced Revolver video and DRYFIRED!!!! March of 07' got introduced to USPSA and shot 2 matches a mon. for the rest of the year plus 1 sectional and DRYFIRED!!!! At 1st classification I was C. In 08' I shot 2 USPSA matches and 1 IDPA each month plus 1 sectional, 1 idpa state, 1carolina cup and I also DRYFIRED!!!! 09' 3 USPSA matches a month, 2 area matches, 1 sectional, and Nats. I think I dryfired a little bit too. I finally made GM in approx. 2yrs and 2 mos. without a ton of wasted bullets downrange.

I didn't write this message to toot me 'ol horn. Yes I am proud that I accomplished certain goals, but more importantly I am proud to be a part of something that is so positive and that can bring so much fulfillment to the good men and women involved in the shooting sports.

p.s. Thanks to B.E forum!!

A59611

Had I stayed with jsut 1 platform I would have made master in 3 years shooting LTD. After 2 years of shooting LTD I switched to Revo and dabbled in other divisions. I made Master in LTD in 4 years from the beginning. I made Master in L-10 in 5 years and Revo Master in 4 years of starting it. I just recently made Revo GM after not shooting it much in the last 2 years. Have been just "Playing around" for the last few years.

Hop

Had I stayed with jsut 1 platform I would have made master in 3 years shooting LTD. After 2 years of shooting LTD I switched to Revo and dabbled in other divisions. I made Master in LTD in 4 years from the beginning. I made Master in L-10 in 5 years and Revo Master in 4 years of starting it. I just recently made Revo GM after not shooting it much in the last 2 years. Have been just "Playing around" for the last few years.

Hop

It took me 5yrs to go from c to a and 1year to go from a to master.

Took me 23 years to make Master in Open :wacko:

Life (work, work, work) got in the way or I would have been up there sooner :lol:

In the early days, we had very little exposure to more experienced shooters and matches, cost of living on an island in the

middle of the ocean.

Started moving up when I started to shoot in the 'states' with some of you and learned a lot, thanks.

To those just starting, learn as much as you can from everyone (especially on what not to do).

2 yrs 9 months from U to GM in Limited. GM in Prod about 8 mths after that. M in L10 sometime after....

Staggering quantities of livefire practice. Emphasis (sadly) was on quantity not necessarily quantity.

It seems that the newer classifiers are much much harder; some of the 99- series had ridiculously low hit factors. That played a large part in my progression.

If I started now I would livefire practice in the same quantities, but really make sure I did quality practice as well.

FY42385

started in the fall early winter of 06 D class in L 10 shooting a 9mm single stack in L10 minor. Made C class in about 6 months when I got some decent gear and chose Limited as my division. Stayed in C for about a month, then stayed in B for about a year or so. Made A class in Limited then switched to Single Stack and Made Master in the November update I think. So it took me 3 full years to make Master. I'll get my M card in Limited next year....if I can put the skinney gun down...just having to much fun with it!

• 4 weeks later...

I started in about 95 shooting my duty gear and hit B class for LTD. In 96 I bought an SV .40 (still have it, 150,000+ rounds, 4 slides and three barrels later...) and the race was on, I hit M class in 97 at Area 4 and went to OPEN where some GMs threw out some tricks on speed and shooting with both eyes open. I went back to LTD in 2000 at age 45 and was shooting almost 30,000 rounds a year. I got the GM card and started to see my eyes go away (you'll get there!)

Shooting a bunch of matches WILL help but shooting A BUNCH OF PRACTICE with the right guidelines will go a LONG way.

Take a class from Max, Travis, or your favorite GM and practice the hell out of what they tell you...You'll get there!!

A27257

I get to be a SENIOR AGAIN this year!!!

Edited by Mick

Mick

A27257

Rapidly decaying LTD GM

Old but still alive!!!

Your funny, Hope the decay does a cease and desist for about 50 more years for ya.

I get to be a SENIOR AGAIN this year!!!

Not sure if I figured that out though, maybe I'm getting old to...LOL. Whats senior again?

earl

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometimes if you're stalled or just getting tired the best thing you can do is take a break every once in a while.*

I got my A-card at the first match after taking almost a year off.

I got my GM a few months after taking a 3-months not-even-touching-the-guns break.

It can get you back to the fun and clear away a lot of the head-noise and get back to what matters.

*YMMV, results may not be typical ;)

Best advice I have seen in a while Roy!! I know exactly what your talking about.