Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

Ok we have a new guy that works with us at the shop, he is "ex" special forces in Vietnam (he says) worked mostly running spec ops in Laous. For the remainder of the story I will refer to "special forces" as Goober (no not his name, just the name us guys call him)

Well we got into it yesterday because this guy that has been coming into the shop for a few weeks now is trying to find the right gun for him, well Goober is over there showing him some 1911's and the guy asks about recoil on the 3" 1911's and Goober tells him "well these small ones don't kick nearly as much as a 5" 1911 and i'm like "what?, they kick quite a bit as a matter of fact, with my small hands I can't hardly shoot it much without adjusting my grip" and he's like well maybe for you but for me, they barely recoil at all. and the customer looks puzzled. Goober starts up again with "almost no recoil" and I once again tell him not to tell a potential customer that because it's not true and he argues some more and finally I look at the dude and i'm like seriously dude they do recoil quite noticeably more than a full size. Then Goober goes on to tell him that I don't know shit and I think i'm an expert and it's because of the short barrel on the 3" that alot of the powder is being blown out of the barrel, so it doesn't recoil as bad, the 5" builds up more pressure and has much more recoil.

So after the rest of us called "BS" on him the rest of the day, today we were making jokes about ordering the "small" spicy pizza because it wouldn't have quite the kick that the large pizza had.

I always notice he seems to be one of these "guys behind the counter" that misinforms the customer, Every time he starts to BS a customer, I try to walk over to him and he gets real quite until I leave. Our shop has been in business for over 22 years and is known to be the most knowledgable shop's around. So we might have a problem with ol' Goober and his wild tales.

easy solution...fire the guy who is giving bad info to customer. problem solved :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most gun shops are small businesses. Unless the person is the owner, you're dealing with someone who is making only a small amount above minimum and probably isn't getting any big benefits like insurance. Sure, you get some pretty competent people - like the retired person who figures it beats selling hardware at Home Depot or someone with a real job who works in the gunshop part time (a local shop has a firefighter on staff who I would guess makes less than 1/3 his day job wage in the shop, less if you count benefits). The bottom line is that the shop owners are very limited in the pool of people who know the product; have decent customer relations skills; and are willing to work for short money.

Funny you mention that, As a FF that part times in a local shop, I pray I dont come across as stupid as some of the comments I have read today.... I have heard plenty of stupid things from the other side of the counter as well.

Its so funny we had this guy come in the shop yesterday and he was there for like 3 hours and I could barley hold back not telling him he was a complete du@#$ bag. the other guys working are not cometition shooters but are very knowledgeable. They have never seen this thread and after the guy left we brough this up and went page by page reading. It is like this guy had read this entire thread but read the wrong parts. lol there was soo much of it that he also said. It was horrible the guys were laughing for hours after they read this

Went and bought a Glock 22 today. I bought it from the same shop that I bought my 34 from back in November. I found the guy that sold my the 34 since he was really cool and was an IDPA shooter. I'm USPSA but it was nice to buy from someone who is aware that there are actually shooting sports organizations out there. When I bought the 34 he asked about warranties and all the extra little stuff and I declined. He tried the sales pitch a little more, he is a salesman after all, and I mentioned that the gun will be off to the gunsmith in an hour to get gutted and modded for USPSA. He then told me how he shoots IDPA all the time and has a G35 with a trigger job, comp. sights, grip tape, etc. I bring up if he's shot any IDPA matches lately to him today. Response: Oh, I've only shot a couple of those matches. You really gotta do that full time to be good at it and shoot constantly. (His shop has a range in it). DAMN SALESMAN, TELL YA WHATEVER THEY HAVE TO, TO KEEP YA COMING BACK. It worked obviously, but he did give me 75$ off for coming back, even if he is a bit of a liar.

East Texas Deer season,

I guy walks in to the store, diving up from Houston and asks if you have ammunition for a deer rifle.

Guy at the counter says yes. What type?

Guy says Deer Rifle ammunition.

Counter guy, what type or Caliber?

The Hunter Obviously new!! Gets all pissy! And says DEER RIFLE AMMUNITION!!!!

Counter Guy is a real guy person tries to help and asks if you bring the gun in we can figure out what type you need?

Hunter,,, All I’m asking for is Deer Rifle ammunition!!!!

By this time a small crowd has formed at the gun counter,,, of gun people trying as hard as they can not to laugh! (and they are not doing a good job of not laughing)

The guy,, totally exasperated says,,, All I want is Deer rifle ammunition.. can’t you get it for me!!!!!

Counter guy….. sorry sir I’m not selling you any type of ammunition for anything. You’ll have to go some other place.

Gun guys in the store,,, lose control of themselves,,, and laugh about that one for a very long time!!

It has been over 10 years and I bet I could go into the place and ask for some deer rifle ammunition and get a laugh!

This guy was probably going to some Deer camp, for his first time, with a borrowed rifle. I’m sure when he got to Deer camp and told this story…. He got a laugh!

Awesome! I think Ive hunted with that dude! Reminds me of an old joke... I'll spin it a little differently.. Whats worse than a inexperienced noob at the deer camp??? Answer: The sorry S.O.B. that invited him!

Ok during the great 380 shortage of 2009, we had a guy call up and ask if we had any bullets for 380 (this never gets old), we also have a full line of reloading components, so I asked him 380 bullets right?

guy: yep

me: yes sir we do, we have 95 grain montana gold BULLETS

guy: really how much and are they good?

me: $11.99 / per 100 and yes I use them in competition all the time

guy: really can you hold them for me

me: i've got plenty

guy: i'll be right up

30 minutes later...

Guy comes into shop and said he called about the 380 bullets, well the other two guys working already know where this is going and we are expecting him. I tell him "yeah I talked to you - follow me.

So I take him over to the bullet area and pick up a couple and hand it to him and he looks at them and said yeah those look good.

me: ok how many do you want?

guy: well 200 of them if they are only $11.99 / 100. I started to get a bag and count them out and he has this deer in a headlight look to him and goes, now how does this work? do you put them in the bullet for me?

I said "huh?"

guy: i mean do you put these bullet tips in the holder for me or how does this work?

me: I explained to him that no this is the bullet and it goes in the case with powder and primer and he said he didn't know when he bought this gun that it was going to be so hard to shoot it, LMFAO

I explained it a little more to him and he just didn't get it.

He said he take them anyway and walked out with 200 bullets for his gun and no idea what he was going to do with them.

HAHAHHAHA

Cmon now! I hope you sold him a "CLIP" to hold em all :roflol:

Wow.... Funny and scary as HELL. I would love to hear some tales from the CHL instructors... I know my class was saturated in FIREARM MENSA members... YIKES. Never forget THEY are out there.

Edited by JayTray

was at the local indoor range was talking w one of the part timers and this man does know his sh.. he is also a chief of police in a local town here in ks was walking through the range hears a guy say this gun wont hit sh.. must be something wrong w it ( a rented glock 9mm) John steps over picks it up shoots a 5 rd 2 inch group at 15 yrds clears the gun looks at the guy and says nothing wrong with it and walks off Im still laughing

post-29805-096684100 1297620080_thumb.jp

Edited by Jersey356

Local shop...First thing that was hilarious....AK (USED WASR), was on the rack for 850.00....when I asked why it was priced so high, the clerk told me it wasn't even priced high enough for him to make $ on it. wacko.gif I didn't argue....just gotta assume that whomever they bought it from really took em' for a ride rolleyes.gif

B4 I left, a college freshman and her father walk in. He suggests that he wants to purchase her a handgun for self defense so she can keep it @ her apartment/in her car and the like. The clerk proceeded to bring them to the revolver case and remove a full size S&W 44....(I had to stay and watch this...plus, it took a few minutes to reel my jaw up from the floor)....15 minutes or so go by with the clerk convincing them that this was the best gun for home defense that he had in the case....the girl could hardly hold the gun up. As I walked by I happened to mention that she didn't quite fit the image of dirty harry and might be a bit better suited with the 9mm keltec in the next box over.

Edited by GorillaTactical

Quote "a 22 magnum is a centerfire while a LR is rimfire ".

Mine actually is. Both of them in fact. A six inch and an 8 3/8 inch.

I must be misreading your post. Sounds like you're saying you have two .22 Magnum centerfire handguns. (?) A neat trick, if you can pull it off. :lol:

He could if he forgot to put the 2 in front 222 Rem. Mag :sight:

Went to get a case gauge at a shop here in town to support the local shops here. The clerk said he knew what it was then tried to talk me out of it for 20 minutes. Every time he brought up an excuse that I shouldn't get one I told him why I wanted on. When the owner of the shop came up I was done and told the clerk that I would just order it online.

Went to get a case gauge at a shop here in town to support the local shops here. The clerk said he knew what it was then tried to talk me out of it for 20 minutes. Every time he brought up an excuse that I shouldn't get one I told him why I wanted on. When the owner of the shop came up I was done and told the clerk that I would just order it online.

Why didn't he want you to buy a case gauge? Did he want to sell you an oversized chamber reamer instead?

E.

Newest shop in town or the "Largest Shop"? :ph34r: Although I can picture it happening at ANY of them, depending on who waited on you :sight:

I had one ot the Salesmen from the "Largest Shop in Town" (thier comercials) say that there was no such animal as a tuckable concealment holster for a full sized 1911. This was after I had been researching carry options for a month. Oh well, I went to a compeditor and bought a compact instead. :devil:

From a gunshop that exclusively sells to LEO:

"The new Generation 4 Glocks are incredile. With the new dual springs in them, the .45's recoil feels exactly like a 9mm."

It was on the tip of my tongue to shout out "So does that mean a 9mm feels like dryfire?!" :roflol:

Edited by alpha-charlie

From a gunshop that exclusively sells to LEO:

"The new Generation 4 Glocks are incredile. With the new dual springs in them, the .45's recoil feels exactly like a 9mm."

Interesting observation....since there is currently no such thing as a Gen-4 Glock .45 available on the market. :rolleyes:

Quote from my friend Jon Stein, who is very tuned-in to what's happening re Gen-4 availability:

"The Gen4 G21 is currently at BATF undergoing approval for importation. ETA is expected to be in the March/April timeframe."