Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers & bullets, How much is enough?

So, as I read & see that no one can get enough components for reloading,

I started to wonder?

How much is enough and how far ahead do we need to be? :surprise:

I have never thought myself a pig nor hoarder, but after taking inventory today....

It looks like I may be. <_<

After a quick inventory and estimate of how many matches I'll likely shoot a year (USPSA, IDPA & ICORE),

it would seem that I'm 7 years ahead on heads and 4 1/2 years on primers.

Now, before you rush to judgement, much of this stuff has been sitting on the bench for years, but it is time to "use it up".

I even counted the lead & old CP bullets! :unsure:

(heck, I still have chrome Winchester primers in white boxes!)

So, now I know how much stuff I have, I'll do my part and NOT order anymore for a while.................................

unless of course Powder Valley comes back into stock! :roflol:

Just HOW FAR AHEAD ARE YOU? :devil:

13,000 WSP

10,000 Wolf SP

3,600 Bullets

4lb Titegroup

5,000 9mm cases

1,500 loaded already

Bullets and powder are still relatively easy to get so I feel good with my stock.

Edited by sandman78

I have enough to get through the season. If things haven't levelled out by this time next year, there won't be anyone to shoot with anyhow.

Besides, as several people have pointed out, Powder Valley, Wideners, Natchez, et al are getting orders filled - it just takes a while. Continued hoarding is just making the problem worse and keeping new shooters from being able to get into the sport.

I'm good for this year and probably into half of next year primer and powder wise. I'll certainly need more bullets, but I buy them from a local guy as he makes them. I hate to get too far ahead not knowing wat next year's addiction will be. I got sidetracked with long range rifle stuff a few months ago.

6K or bullets (once Montana Gold backorder ships), 16# of IMR 4756 powder and 9K of Winchester and Wolf SRPs for my Open blaster. I also have 4K of SPP for my 9mm loads and 1K of LPP for my .45ACP loads. I don't shoot the last two much and have several K rounds of each already loaded.

That is about enough bullets for four months for me so the SRPs should last me about six months tops. I have 10K on backorder from Powder Valley and will order the same from Wideners once they get some in.

Edited by XD Niner

I have enough on hand to make it through May... maybe. I've never been a hoarder, and now it is biting me in the a##.
Same here. I just hate having too much of the stuff around living in a residential area with no magazine. I used to just buy stuff about a month ahead. Now I can't even dope loads for my new rifle.

Yesterday a local sporting goods store got in 60,000 small rifle primers. They were gone in just a couple of hours with one guy taking 50,000 of them. I suppose those 50,000 will end up on Gunbroker.

9x21, sell me some!!! Since we are practically brothers, with the same first name anyway.... I have slowed down due to work, but still burn about 15K a year.

We even kind'of look alike,

but......

I wouldn't want to be acused of taking advantage, so I'll just keep what I have.... :P

I promise not to buy anymore until the crisis is over! :D

I've got enough .40 loaded to get me through the matches this year, but I'll need to load some for practice shooting. There is enough .38 Super loaded to last a couple of years. Same for the 9mm. Ammo for the .45 is good -- there's at least 30,000 loaded and ready to go.

The last time I bought SR primers I paid $18.95/1000. There's still 20,000 primers (LR, LP and SR) that I bought back when primers were selling for $70/5000. And some that I've picked up off of tables at gun shows for $1.00 per hundred. And even some that I bought when a couple of stores went out of business that I paid .50/100, but I don't use magnum primers very often.

I don't shoot high power rifle anymore, but just before I stopped I managed to load enough 5.56 and 7.62 to last for a couple years worth of matches and 50 rds. once a week in practice.

Still have lots of powder (4895, Varget, Red Dot, Unique, Bullseye, 4756, 7625, 231), but with all the loaded ammo I don't think that I'll need much of those for awhile.

I'm down to my last 10,000 small pistol primers and will use them up loading .40 for practice. I went to a local gun store to see about primers, but all they had were shotgun primers and I don't need those either. So I bought some Clays at $14.90/lb and a 4 lb keg of WST at $66.90. Next month I'll go back and see about primers again. If they don't have any I'll buy some more powder if the price hasn't gone up too much.

I usually start off every season with 20-25K primers, 16lbs powder and 10K bullets. This habit was developed because of the last primer hoarding shortage and slow production/delivery by companies like VV. Its not horading levels for me. Didnt have the money(its well over $1K now) to get stuff before election triggered hoarding. I hate hoarders cause most will never shoot what they got. I'll bet there are people still sitting on primers from 94.

Edited by BSeevers

I have enough to get through the season. If things haven't levelled out by this time next year, there won't be anyone to shoot with anyhow.

Besides, as several people have pointed out, Powder Valley, Wideners, Natchez, et al are getting orders filled - it just takes a while. Continued hoarding is just making the problem worse and keeping new shooters from being able to get into the sport.

I am a new shooter and can't find any primers only have 2000, was wondering if I can substitute winchester small pistol magnum for winchester small pistol?

As discussed in other threads you should be fine with the small pistol magnums. In my 45acp, the large pistol magnums only add about 10fps. To be safe, drop your powder charge a .1gr or so and chrono some before you load a bunch.

Randy

P.S. I am not a hoarder, but there is really nothing I need for a while. I shop at costco because I do not like to shop often. Same thing for reloading components. I also like discounts for ordering in bulk. Last summer I ordered 10,000 200grswc 45 from mastercast bullets to get the extra 10%off. I am not sure, but I do not think bullets go bad :lol: I try to do the same thing with powder and primers if I can. If nothing else, add enough powder and primers to the order to minimize the hazmat.

Edited by h2osport

I have a couple 1000 spp and enough powder for this summer. I have no idea what is going to happen when I run out of stuff in the fall. I hope the maddness will calm down or I am going to have to take up fishing or something. I can barley afford to shoot now with the stuff I have.

Lord help me ! :bow:

Feeling insecure & out of balance,

(since I'm too far ahead on bullets, and they ain't good for nothing without primers)

I stopped at a little country gun shop.

I picked up 7000 primers.

5000 WSP $25 (white box, been there a while, I guess)

2000 CCI small rifle 27.95 (they were mixed in with the large pistol)

it was obvious, My buddy Lopez was there first...........

not a WSR in sight!

I'm such a pig :blush:

I just tallied up my stash which was acquired long before the current "shortage" and at the rate I shoot I've got enough to stretch it two years if I have to (live fire practice limited to what I would have shot at canceled matches).

Combined totals:

50,000 primers Fed 210, 205, 150, 100, WSP, WLP.

50 lbs powders WAP, WST, WSF, SR7625, HS6, Power Pistol, N-350

3000 .45 cal bullets 200 gr

9500 .40 cal bullets 135, 155, 180, 200 gr weights

6700 9mm cal bullets 115, 121, 124, 125 gr weights

7 cases 12 and 20 gauge shotshells

10 cases assorted factory ammo 17HMR, 22LR, 9MM, 40 S&W, 10MM, 45ACP, .223 , 22-250

I didn't think I had all that much until I started writing it down...you live out here in the middle of the Pacific, though, you tend to order every time a group order goes in 'cause you can't just UPS-Ground it, y'know?

And with my current financial situation I'm not going to be buying anything for maybe at least that long.

Edited by gino_aki

Lord help me ! :bow:

Feeling insecure & out of balance,

(since I'm too far ahead on bullets, and they ain't good for nothing without primers)

I stopped at a little country gun shop.

I picked up 7000 primers.

5000 WSP $25 (white box, been there a while, I guess)

2000 CCI small rifle 27.95 (they were mixed in with the large pistol)

it was obvious, My buddy Lopez was there first...........

not a WSR in sight!

I'm such a pig :blush:

If I run out, I know where to borrow some! :D

I have a 2.5 - 3 year cushion for reloading components..... plus a decent stash of 9mm and.45 factory..... I plan on buying a 22 top end for my 1911.

I've been doing a lot of AirSoft practice... it's not the same but at about 3 or 4 shots for a penny--- it will have to do.