Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers & bullets, How much is enough?

Got a post card in the mail box,

3 postal boxes appeared at my Post Office from Montana,

I had to pick them 'cause they are too heavy! the note said.

I think I order this stuff in my sleep! B)

anyway, since my 401K STB, ( S#%* the bed)

I may as well invest in something that makes me happy!

MUST have MORE PRIMERS!

Edited by 9x21

I like to order for the season, whatever that is.

If I plan on shooting 20K rounds I just order the primers, powder and bullets all at once. Mostly to only pay the HazMat one time and not 3 or 4.

Enough mags....some of us remember criminal types assembling mag replacement parts into functional mags, so enough mags to me is enough to last you and your family for the rest of your life including wear and tear, the desire to help your buddies with a mag or two. Everyone will have their own comfort level, mine is a crapload of mags.

Enough primers and powder and bullets and brass? Enough to shoot as much as you want for the rest of your life. I realize it is probably too expensive to buy that much stuff, and it would be difficult to store, must consider fire codes, etc. I realize buying in this market does drive up costs for everyone and diminishes supply. So I compromise on how much I can afford, how much I can store, which calibers to stock up on, how mad the wife will be with another UPS shipment/credit card bill, and the feeling of sillyness hoarding can bring.

I also realize this: I wish I had hoarded a few full-autos prior to 1986. I wish I had hoarded mags and "pre-bans" prior to 1994. We are always one McDonald's massacre or Virginia Tech away from some new and imaginative restrictions. I realize I can still get components now, most for reasonable prices, if I backorder and wait patiently and don't order off Gunbroker.

My advice, don't panic buy, but begin a hoarding plan of your own.

Got this email from Winchester:

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester Ammunition. We are always glad to hear from our many friends and customers who share in the shooting sport.

Winchester Ammunition, like other ammunition manufacturers, has seen the demand for our products increas significantly since last fall. To meet that increased demand, our operations are running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our team is literally working around the clock to make quality ammunition products available for purchase.

We remain absolutely committed to meeting the growing needs of our customers and we are doing everything we can to do so.

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition. If you should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

That is all well and good Winchester. If their operations are 24-7 where are the primers? Why aren't they getting to the end user? Why is it taking so long? I can see them in my mind cranking out 1000's and 1000's of primers but am not seeing them at retail. Where are they?

That is all well and good Winchester. If their operations are 24-7 where are the primers? Why aren't they getting to the end user? Why is it taking so long? I can see them in my mind cranking out 1000's and 1000's of primers but am not seeing them at retail. Where are they?

Could it be that Win is using them for completed rounds? :rolleyes:

I guess that could be a probability. Would rather have them send them to retail outlets though.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty simple actually. Only a very small percentage of shooters reload, therefore the demand for completed ammunition is much higher than the demand for components. Also, the profit margins are much higher for completed ammunition that components. What would you do if you were the manufacturer? I would fill the largest orders with with the greatest margins first, as they seem to be.

Pretty simple actually. Only a very small percentage of shooters reload, therefore the demand for completed ammunition is much higher than the demand for components. Also, the profit margins are much higher for completed ammunition that components. What would you do if you were the manufacturer? I would fill the largest orders with with the greatest margins first, as they seem to be.

OK, so where is the ammo? If I can't get primers, I'll buy ammo!

So, as I read & see that no one can get enough components for reloading,

I started to wonder?

How much is enough and how far ahead do we need to be?

I was in the Firearms business over 30 years and knew this day would come

eventually, especially after the 1989 Assault Weapons Ban and High Cap Ban in 1994.

Sooooooo, I made certain there would be plenty of EVERYTHING for my kids,

grandkids, and then some.

There is no such thing as "Too Much".

Edited by AultGM

Are things breaking loose?

My local gun dealer called to say they had Win large primers come in and the local Walmart had .233 Federal in stock at $40/100.

ARs and other high demand firearms are staying the shelves longer than they were a month ago.

Production should catch up before too long. The question is: will demand continue?

Local Scheels has gotten in several cases of Fiocchi 40, 223 and 22 so Mexico must have solved most of it's drug war problem as it is providing us with ammo again. Starting to get in CCI 209 primers.

Big R had several cases of CCI LR & SR but sold out in 4 hours. Stock is now limited to 50 cases of Hornady 55gr 223 @ $26.95 a box of 50 and 20 cases of Federal 550 bulk pack 22 @ $19.95 a case. Sold out 20 cases of Remington Cyclone 500 bulk pack 22 @ $29.95. Gophers are getting real thick here in Montana with the ammo shortage.

When I'm older and you're all gone I'll be sure to stop by those estate sales. I've got only a few thousand, but I think the value in having a large stockpile is to be able to do your buddies a solid and be able to loan some to them. I mean think about it, if your shooting buddy said 'I can't go to the match with you this weekend, no more primers" and you're sitting on years of supply, why not help someone out.

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch