Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which AR in .308

JSH

I am looking for an AR type .308. I would like opinions on the different brands that are avaliable. DPMS, Armalite, Fulton, Rock River. I am also concerned about magazine avaliability, compatiability, reliabilty ect. any and all thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks, Jere

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for an AR type .308. I would like opinions on the different brands that are avaliable. DPMS, Armalite, Fulton, Rock River. I am also concerned about magazine avaliability, compatiability, reliabilty ect. any and all thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks, Jere

I have a RRA .308 and it runs BUT, if I was to do it again I would go with a Armalite, there is just more toys for them out there.

I have a 308 AR that was built by JP using DPMS's LR-308 upper and lower receiver (before JP came out with their own). It is very well built and haven't had any problems with it.

As far as magazine availablity - there are 2 types - mags that fit the Armalite AR10 and mags that fit everything else - the DPMS LR308/JP 308/SR25, etc. The mag that works in the Armalite AR10 will not work in the other guns and vice versa.

The DPMS magazines are pretty good - I haven't had any problems with them. Magpul is coming out with PMags (called the LR-20) for DPMS LR308/JP 308/SR25 rifles. You can pre-order them from Brownells for $19.95 each under part number 100-004-161. You have to call Brownells to pre-order, rather than use the website.

I went with a DPMS TAC20. When I ordered it I ordered it with some upgrades and added a Magpul PRS stock after recieving it. I have been extremely pleased with it. It has been 100% reliable, more accurate than I expected, and the mags are nice. The upper and lower fit is very tight with absolutely zero play that I can detect when they are together.

post-6767-1237724303_thumb.jpg

I have a 308 AR that was built by JP using DPMS's LR-308 upper and lower receiver (before JP came out with their own). It is very well built and haven't had any problems with it.

As far as magazine availablity - there are 2 types - mags that fit the Armalite AR10 and mags that fit everything else - the DPMS LR308/JP 308/SR25, etc. The mag that works in the Armalite AR10 will not work in the other guns and vice versa.

The DPMS magazines are pretty good - I haven't had any problems with them. Magpul is coming out with PMags (called the LR-20) for DPMS LR308/JP 308/SR25 rifles. You can pre-order them from Brownells for $19.95 each under part number 100-004-161. You have to call Brownells to pre-order, rather than use the website.

There are 3 types: Mags that fit the AR10, Mags that fit the LR308/JP308/SR25, and Mags that fit the LAR-308 and FAL. FYI my mags cost me 7$ each and run.

DPMS, easily as much gun as the Armalite at a much lower price. Reasonbly priced mags and no proprietary parts or service procedures.

As always spring for the JP if you can.

Edited by smokshwn

I bought a DPMS last year. My funds are limited so I have not tries out lots of ammo, but it shot a 50 yd group with cheap S&B that could be covered with a nickel --- iron sights and factory trigger. I need to stretch its legs some, but it has great potential.

There are 3 types: Mags that fit the AR10, Mags that fit the LR308/JP308/SR25, and Mags that fit the LAR-308 and FAL. FYI my mags cost me 7$ each and run.

The RRA owners are pretty happy, but only the 16" is shipping right now.

I have a box of $5 fal mags. Sadly, the cheap FAL mags are pretty much sold out. DS Arms has announced new mags (20, 25, and 30 rounds!) for $20-30; call them directly for a pre-order. Somebody (CMMG?) is making a lower that takes G3 mags. CProducts makes a DPMS-type mag ($22 direct), but the $20 PMags will blow them away. Fulton also uses the DPMS/KAC mags.

Lee

I opted for Armalite. I have 2 builds going on right now. I ordered 2 Iron Ridge Arms billet lowers. I have always had good luck with Armalite customer service, parts ordering, etc. That being said, the 20 round magazines are $43.95 ea. The new magpul mags for the dpms look like a reason to consider DPMS.

There also seems to be alot more used/new parts avail for the dpms.

Randy

The DPMS LR 24" bbl is a hard one to beat for the price in a long range rig. I also had the 18" DPMS 308B and it was fine to 600 yards, but beyond 600 it lacked the velocity to do anything. The wind tossed the bullet around like it was a mayfly. Depends on what you want the rifle to do. I would buy a custom GA Precision AR10 before I bought the Armalite, for about the same coin.

I've got a Larue .308 on order, the OSR or something, I'll give a range report when it gets here. Delivery is supposed to be Q1 '09, but I'll not hold my breath.

I was waiting for someone to say something, the OSR looks freakin sweet!!!

DPMS LR308 w/26" fluted bbl. I put a Leupold 4x14x40 Mk4 PR scope on it.I've had it for I think three years now and have never had a problem. Need to stock up on hi-cap mags. The new assault weapons ban is right around the corner.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned P.O.F.'s .308 gas piston driven platform.

After shooting an Armalite AR10 extensively and a KAC SR25, I had such a good experience with a POF in .223 I thought I'd try it in .308.

I opted for the 16" barrel and have tried it at 100 yd.s with a 1-4X optic.

It is accurate but with less than 100rounds through it, I haven't been able to form an opinion on its reliability.

It should be reliable because the .223 platform is the most reliable AR15 I have with the least amount of maintenance.

The SR25 was smooth and reliable right out of the box.

The Armalite AR10 was reliable but required an after market trigger,(as well as a grip, trigger guard, bolt release upgrade, charging handle upgrade and Magpul or VLTOR stock ) to meet my standards.

The DPMS 19 round mags function reliably in the SR25 and the POF.

Armalites GEN II mags are a big improvement over the original configuration in terms of reliability.