Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which AR in .308

JSH

Remington or DPMS lor with a lothar walther match barrel, Barrel is about $400.00 & will shoot about .60-.70 for five, five shot groups or 25 rds. This is a true test of what your rifle will do. Everyone has the 1/4" five shot group somewhere. J.P. trigger & my comp of course.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, as far as magazines go. If you have the DPMS type platform the 308 PMags seem to be the best out there right now for price, availability, and reliability. Too bad they don't have any 10 round 308 mags so everybody in every state can enjoy them.

i bought some of the PMAGs. they have .10" vertical play when seated in either my JP or my DPMS. (my DPMS mags and C-Products mags do not have this vertical play.) They run good when not prone. When prone, however, they cause hiccups. not good. tomorrow i am going to spend a nickel and call magpul and see whats up.

:cheers:

Hmmm. Checked mine and they have zero play when seated. Keep us posted as to a resolution.

:angry2:

Also, as far as magazines go. If you have the DPMS type platform the 308 PMags seem to be the best out there right now for price, availability, and reliability. Too bad they don't have any 10 round 308 mags so everybody in every state can enjoy them.

i bought some of the PMAGs. they have .10" vertical play when seated in either my JP or my DPMS. (my DPMS mags and C-Products mags do not have this vertical play.) They run good when not prone. When prone, however, they cause hiccups. not good. tomorrow i am going to spend a nickel and call magpul and see whats up.

Hmmm. Checked mine and they have zero play when seated. Keep us posted as to a resolution.

many rounds down range and much head scratching. after phone calls to magpul and jp finally arrived at this:

3 things can cause the stove pipe jam; bolt carrier dragging on feed lips, under-gassed and over-gassed. i performed meticulous inspection of feed lips and there was no marking indicating bolt carrier dragging. moving on to under-gassed, which i assumed was the case, i opened up the gas plug. i had thought that perhaps a dirty chamber, along with under-gassed might cause the stove pipe. opening up the gas plug made the stove pipes occur more often. slow as i am, i realized that the bolt was returning to battery faster than the ejected case was leaving the rifle. i ran the plug all the way in to no gas and then opened it up 1/4 turn at a time until i had good function. i then opened it up 1/8 turn more. JP stated that a properly gassed rifle should throw the cases between 3 and 4 o'clock. my rifle had been throwing the cases between 1 and 2 o'clock. i then ran 7 mags through the rifle with no malfunctions. problem solved. (i hope)

I have an AR-10, DPMS and a Noveske. The Noveske tops the other two....C

I know a couple guys who just got N6's and have been impressed with the accuracy. Plus those armalite Gen II mags run flawlessly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned P.O.F.'s .308 gas piston driven platform.

After shooting an Armalite AR10 extensively and a KAC SR25, I had such a good experience with a POF in .223 I thought I'd try it in .308.

I opted for the 16" barrel and have tried it at 100 yd.s with a 1-4X optic.

It is accurate but with less than 100rounds through it, I haven't been able to form an opinion on its reliability.

It should be reliable because the .223 platform is the most reliable AR15 I have with the least amount of maintenance.

The SR25 was smooth and reliable right out of the box.

The Armalite AR10 was reliable but required an after market trigger,(as well as a grip, trigger guard, bolt release upgrade, charging handle upgrade and Magpul or VLTOR stock ) to meet my standards.

The DPMS 19 round mags function reliably in the SR25 and the POF.

Armalites GEN II mags are a big improvement over the original configuration in terms of reliability.

I sho the ITRC in Gillette, WY last week. There was a guy using a POF and he was having some trouble it, I did not speak to him @ length but he was not happy.....

I shoot Heavy Metal Iron and started with a DPMS 308. I was very happy with it and the only issue I had with it was a broken extractor. Luckily for me, I was at a match on the range next to DPMS and Randy Luth was right there. The DPMS crew had it fixed and all the springs upgraded in less than 10 minutes. That's one thing to be said about DPMS, they back their guns.

I picked up a POF piston driven 308 and absolutely love it. I heard the wait on getting one is pretty long and I was lucky enough to pick mine up as a prize. The only issue I had with it was the Timney trigger return spring broke. With the Timney trigger being sealed, I sent it back to POF for repairs and it was back to me in a week. Another great company that backs their guns.

My dream 308 rifle is the JP LRP-07 for a few reasons. First off, JP Rifles are known for their quality. Second, JP and the crew are a great bunch of guys who I enjoy being around with. Third, JP is a Minnesota company and I just have to have one made from my home state. The only reason that this dream is still just that, my wallet can't afford it.

As for 308 mags, I will stand behind the MagPul 308 Magazines. They are durable, dependable, and truly 20-rounder magazines. I can have one fully loaded and seat it with ease in the rifle with the bolt closed. And the best part about them, they are by far less expensive than the rest

By the way, I lube my POF with minimal oil. Basically, just the 4 contact points of the bolt. I runs like a top. With the piston driven system, the action does not get fouled up much. When I shot in the SMM3G in Arizona desert and there were dust being blown around by wind, I saw a lot of rifles having issues. My POF kept on going. I shot the entire 3-day match without cleaning it and it never once failed me. Cleaning it after took less than half the time it take to clean a gas impingement rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like the DPMS platform. Something else to try is a set of JP springs. I run 3.5 in my guns and have not had any problems. Also I run single stage triggers in both my 5.56 and my .308. A carbon fiber free float or a hogue float tubes work really well.

I am going be picking up both a REPR and an OBR when I get home.. I am interested to put them side by side... :)

I've shot a REPR side by side with my DPMS built the way Benny does em. Yeah the REPR was kinda neat and the ambi bolt controls were pretty slick, but I'm sticking with the DPMS. Fast and flat.

I acquired a POF 308 a couple of months ago. On the upside, the rifle has always shot well - easily sub-moa with good ammo. Out to 900 yards it definitely performs - can ring 18" plates at this distance without much of a problem.

What I have had a problem with is failures to fire. Every 10th round or so, the hammer would drop (felt and heard) but no ignition. I would eject the round, reload it, and on the 2nd try it'd work.

After experimenting with everything I could think of, I sent it back to POF. They were pretty non-communicative while they had my rifle, but they got it back to me about 2 weeks later after having replaced the bolt, firing pin and trigger.

Since then I've only had 100 or so rounds through it, this time with no problems. Hopefully (fingers crossed), we've turned the corner and this thing will run now. It's got such great potential.

So for me, the jury's still out to some extent. Will let you know next time I have a chance to really wring it out.

Vic

Ive had a POF 308 for almost 3 years w/3k+ rds thru it. The ftf is probably slightly hi primer on ammo or NATO ammo w/super hard primer. I get one now/again too, I really dont think its a gun problem. Mine shoots great. I use a suppressor now/again-still great results. I did find the right brake will make it fly for 3 gun matches.

• 1 month later...

My dream 308 rifle is the JP LRP-07 for a few reasons. First off, JP Rifles are known for their quality. Second, JP and the crew are a great bunch of guys who I enjoy being around with. Third, JP is a Minnesota company and I just have to have one made from my home state. The only reason that this dream is still just that, my wallet can't afford it.

Okay. I finally squeezed my wallet and got enough to buy a JP LRP-07. I am totally impressed with it. From the moment I picked it up, I could immediately tell the quality and craftsmanship put in to building the rifle. I was as impressed when I started shooting it. The adjustable gas block paired with the low-mass bolt assembly and low-mass buffer made it a very sweet rifle to shoot. I know what the rifle is capable of, now if I could only match it with some skill.

It was pricey, but worth every single penny. The only problem I have with it is trying to keep it hidden from my wife. ;)

• 1 month later...

I always love seeing this question asked....it is on every firearms forum I have ever visited. This is a classic Ford vs Chevy question. Me I am a die hard Ford guy and I own an Armalite SASS that I have yet to learn how to shoot - I hold three inch groups and the people that know how to shoot these gas guns hold .5 inch with my rifle. Realistically if you have great parts they shoot great. That being said I have the previously mentioned .308 that eats everything and ejects it just as well, and I have never had a magazine problem. The only issue that I have ever had was user error I thought it was not loading correctly and the gas switch was turned to suppressed.