Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which AR in .308

JSH

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my LR308 to the range, and it's still a jam-o-matic! I'll try replacing the extractor, but I think the real problem is an overly tight chamber. Looks like DPMS will be getting it back......again!

Lets see.....where to begin.....

I thought I would build my own LR 308 from parts as the money came in. In the meantime I could have bought probably a seven or eight LR 308's. Anyway, I got all my parts together and took them down to have a guy put it all together for me. The parts (DPMS lower, upper, lpk, carbine stock, 16" AP4 barrel) JP handguard and extension, essentially all DPMS with the exception of the handguard and BC comp. (DPMS barrel from Midway USA, I left a review of the truth and we will see over the next week if they post it)

The 1st problem I had was the threads on the JP barrel nut not matching the threads on the upper receiver. This only took about a month of sending parts back and forth to JP to get this resolved (a much longer drama summarized). Then once the whole thing is finally assembled I take it out to the range and.......the barrel wasn't head spaced. Off to the local gunsmith. Once there he had to ream the chamber for factory 150 grain .308 to fit. Also, the extractor was so stiff he had to replace the factory springs for the extractor to move. That was all done and finally back to the range!

Oh yea, had the wife pick up the rear sight/carry handle and she came home with the wrong one (Armalite) not the one for the DPMS. So, there is a little difference between the two as the Armalite sits higher. So, I thought I would see if I could make it work, and I wasn't able to. So, I went ahead and burned through 50 of my handloads to check for functioning, etc. I had one double feed! (the only good news to this point).

Now, I have the DPMS carry handle (Armalite one for sale $100 shipped if anyone is interested) and haven't had time to go back to the range. I am just itching to sight this thing in and see what kind of group I come up with.

After all that, next time, I think I will buy a stripped down factory model and just change the few parts that I want. But, hey it was fun (not) live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a JP LRP-07 on order.

I also considered the Larue.

The new KAC M100-SASS looks pretty sweet.

I'm glad there are more and more options now.

I am thinking of ordering the same JP - got it yet? What is the lead time? What options did you choose and for what will the rifles primary purpose be?

I've got a Larue .308 on order, the OSR or something, I'll give a range report when it gets here. Delivery is supposed to be Q1 '09, but I'll not hold my breath.

Two of my friends have the OSR and they love it. One guy I know have some really good shooting ammo and got a 5 rnd half inch shot group at 3 hundred meters. I was not there nor did I see the target, but I have an 18 inch stealth, and I can get 1/4 inch groups a 100 meters so I beat the OSR is going to be a shooter too.

LWRC REPR...so far, so good. Need to wind it up a bit to see how it does past 200, but I only got to shoot it once before I had to leave Stately Wakal Manor for a class at Bragg :)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

LWRC REPR...so far, so good. Need to wind it up a bit to see how it does past 200, but I only got to shoot it once before I had to leave Stately Wakal Manor for a class at Bragg :)

Alex

REPR is a beautiful work of art. I hope I can hold out long enough to save up for one. I seem to get halfway there and a new pistol jumps into my safe.

Alex

Alex,

Were you lucky enough to get one that feeds rather than choking and spitting out mags all the time?

At this point, I have no idea. I ran two mags through it with the iron sights, mix of slow and double taps, and it shot perfectly. Then I left the state :(

I'll be back in Texas Sunday...I'll run a few hundred through it and see what happens.

Alex

To the OP (JSH) what gun to suggest will really be a product of what you are looking to do really. Everyone here has given some good info but really without the "what do you want this gun for" question answered then I really would hesitate to say anything.

If you are looking to have a good setup for long range with quick follow up shots, then a longer heavy barrel is going to be the ticket. You would have better velocity so more knock down power (for hunting) and less infulence by the wind (although probably minimal depending on range). But the weight would not be something that I would want to carry all day on a hunt in open country or mountainous terrain. Now if this is only going to be used for a static position (Deer stand or bench shooting) then I would say heavy barrel.

If this is for fast paced competion then a lighter shorter barrel may suit your needs better. It would be quicker and easier to get in and out of ports and around walls.

Those considerations would also infulence the stock and other choices I would make. I have a MagPul PRS on my long range 308 setup. It is adjustable for LOP and Comb height which I love but it is heavy. I have a 6 pos on my shorter barreled AR which of course is lighter. Also if you ever plan on putting a suppressor on one (I have one pending YEA!) then an adjustable gas block would be a nice addition. You would really open the port to run that bolt with the can on if you still wanted semiauto or close off the gas for minimal noise and turn it into a sigle shot rifle.

So really intead of cheering for my favorite manufacture I would like more info. Thanks

Edited by barney88pdc

I have a DPMS (see below) that I haven't finished breaking in yet.

DPMS-03s.jpg

Although I haven't shot it much, I do have some thoughts on the rifle, plus I did a lot of reading before buying. As others have stated, there is a long long waiting list, but there are rifles out there at dealers, and if you search, you may luck out like I did and find exactly what you're looking for. Beware: DPMS ran through a period of time last year when they had issues with there magazines causing failures to feed. If you get one (or more) of these mags, DPMS will replace it, but you have to mail the old one(s) in first and turn around time has been reported as slow. DPMS has a very time consuming recommended break in process: fire one round, then clean the barrel for the first 25 shots, then fire 10 and clean for the next 100. They also state that they will not warranty any rifle that uses reloaded ammo or certain brands of imported ammo. The 308 rifle can be had in either 308 Winchester or 7.62 NATO, and the only to tell for sure which you have is by turning the gun over and looking for the stamping on the underside of the barrel. Although very similar in size, the cartridges are not identical, primarily due to thicker brass on the 7.62, and firing 7.62 in a 308 is also a warranty issue. They don't seem to mind if you fire 308 in the 7.62 model however. Go figure.

The rifles are well made, and even though I'm still breaking mine in, it shoots very well, as accurate as any rifle I have, including a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 30.06 Target rifle and a 308 Sako. Mine came with the JR trigger, but DPMS does not set up the trigger, they only install it, and mine as installed was horrid. Easily overcome however. From what I have read, the stock DPMS trigger is really bad.

I have an DPMS SPORTICAL that is so accurate it is unreal. When I put my A1 optics 6-24x50 scope with it's 30mm tube, and Harris bi pod. Going 300 yards was a piece of cake,got 1st place in an NRA rifle match. But I like it this way. The EGW space rifle comp removes all the recoil and muzzle jump.

post-7365-12711216821_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1252672281_thumb.jpg

Those lonnnnnnnng wait times were why I bought all the parts separately from different sources over several months and put this baby together!

18-1/2" chrome lined Criterion barrel with RIFLE length gas system, Fulton Armory Titan .308 Bolt carrier group, DPMS LR-308 upper and lower and free float handguard, JP comp and fire control group, C-products mags. Works like a charm, no issues at all from the first shot.

I just had to update this picture now that I have the NightForce 2.5-10x NXS Mildot w/Milrad turrets and the NF unimount. I've been making five-leaf clovers at 100 yards with this thing, heh! Well, not really me, if you count the bi-pod and the sandbag under the grip. I did take the time to work up a load also: 41.2 gr of A2520, CCI #200 primers and Hornady 168 gr HPBT. I tried from 39.5 to 42.2 gr of powder and OACL from 2.790 to 2.805. The group size really tightening up came right after 2.80.

post-15146-127129324802_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChristianHE

• 2 weeks later...

post-3213-126686060575_thumb.jpg

JP Enterprises LRP-007 in 308!

Nuff said!

jj

Second that!

If money is no object, JP is the way to go

I agree, buy once cry once. Costs more then a DPMS/Armalite, but you are getting a much more refined rifle with a lot of the upgrades you might end up doing over time anyway. You have the benefits of their low mass operating system and it makes the thing feel like you are shooting a run of the mil 223, but its a 308! If you want to "run and gun" then the 18" would be good, but if you are looking for more of a "bench" gun then the 22" might be better. If you have the money and can stand the wait then I would suggest looking into the LRP-07.

Edited by TruePunisher

Also, as far as magazines go. If you have the DPMS type platform the 308 PMags seem to be the best out there right now for price, availability, and reliability. Too bad they don't have any 10 round 308 mags so everybody in every state can enjoy them.

• 1 month later...

All are great(DPMS,ARMALITE,ROCK RIVER,etc.), I would highly recommend the JP . For one they have the side charging handle . 223/5.56 rear charging handle is fine , not to far to pull, but on a .308 quite a difference . And if you are shooting competively/tactically and that rear charging handle tweeks in any way better hope you have an extra . So my recommendation ,JP all the way.

Since my last reply I changed my mind. I have a Noveske, Armalite and DPMS in 308 and without a doubt my first choice would be the new 308 AR that Les Baer is coming out with. I called and got my name on the list. If it shoots anything like the 223, 204 and 6.5 Grendal I have of his; it will top anything we have on the market now....can't wait....Accuracy plus....at a decent price...C

Also, as far as magazines go. If you have the DPMS type platform the 308 PMags seem to be the best out there right now for price, availability, and reliability. Too bad they don't have any 10 round 308 mags so everybody in every state can enjoy them.

i bought some of the PMAGs. they have .10" vertical play when seated in either my JP or my DPMS. (my DPMS mags and C-Products mags do not have this vertical play.) They run good when not prone. When prone, however, they cause hiccups. not good. tomorrow i am going to spend a nickel and call magpul and see whats up.

:cheers: