Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which AR in .308

JSH

I'm surprised no one has mentioned P.O.F.'s .308 gas piston driven platform.

After shooting an Armalite AR10 extensively and a KAC SR25, I had such a good experience with a POF in .223 I thought I'd try it in .308.

How long did it take you to get the POF?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 types: Mags that fit the AR10, Mags that fit the LR308/JP308/SR25, and Mags that fit the LAR-308 and FAL. FYI my mags cost me 7$ each and run.

The RRA owners are pretty happy, but only the 16" is shipping right now.

Nope, the varmint and 20"'s can be found. Check gunbroker. By the way, my 16" shoots a one hole 5 shot group at 100 yards with 150 grain SMKs.

There are 3 types: Mags that fit the AR10, Mags that fit the LR308/JP308/SR25, and Mags that fit the LAR-308 and FAL. FYI my mags cost me 7$ each and run.

The RRA owners are pretty happy, but only the 16" is shipping right now.

Nope, the varmint and 20"'s can be found. Check gunbroker. By the way, my 16" shoots a one hole 5 shot group at 100 yards with 150 grain SMKs.

Yes, they are now shipping, but not when I posted in March. :cheers: According to the Arfcom thread, looks like they started shipping in April. I really wanted a RRA Varmint, but decided not to wait (as of last fall) so I got the DPMS.

Lee

• 2 months later...

I spent one day on the range with the SR 25, in the possesion of a civilian.

It was very accurate and unreliable. We experienced alot of extraction problems of fired cartridges.

We were shooting blackhills ammo, so it wasnt necessarily an ammo issue.

Maybe it was a civilian gun VS military version issue?

anyway for what they cost I think I would pass on the Sr25.

I have like d the DPMS 308 guns I have fired

It took me a solid six months to get all the parts to build my .308/7.62 rifle due to the raging paranoia and I love it- accurate, no issues and price was right:

DPMS LR-308 upper and lower, Fulton Armory Titan hard-chromed complete bolt carrier group, Krieger-Criterion 18.5" medium barrel, JP's comp and adj. clamp-on gas block and their trigger. Also a PRI gas-buster charging handle, DMPS free-float handguard, regular A2 stock.

Note about the JP trigger: I was astounded at how good the trigger feels! zero takeup, super super crisp, almost instant reset, OMG. I have a Timney in my 6.5 AR and had not felt another trigger I liked as well (tried my buddies' RRA, Jard and Jewel) but the JP I can say I like it as much as the Timney. I used an RCBS spring trigger pull gage and it shows right on 3lbs for the Timney, 4 1/8 for the JP (Red spring).

Note about magazines: I ordered a couple 20 rounders direct from C-products, waited about 5 weeks and the quality, fit, function is great. And the price of $22 each is a bonus.

http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/index.php...f8e6f5907d58ac8

JSH, did you order a rifle yet? Best of luck, hope the paranoia/buying frenzy has cooled somewhat so you can get one.

• 4 weeks later...

My company just received a couple of the LMT 308 ARs for T&E. They are pretty sweet, and from my experience, they are fairly priced. I am not sure when they will hit the market, but definitely worth checking out.

We are currently using KAC SR-25s. They are a bit overated. Armalite makes a quality product too, but they have a monopoly on certain parts.

I've got the Armalite 16" carbine, mainly because it was the only one available 8 or 9 years ago when I bought it. It's very well made and finished, and has been 100% reliable with everything from various cheap surplus to careful handloads. I had JP upgrade it a year ago with one of their triggers, VTAC handguards, adjustable gas blocks and Cooley comp. But, I've always been disappointed with its accuracy. At some point I may have it re-barreled, but I've already sunk a lot of money in it. And the magazines are pretty expensive. If I had to do it over I would get a JP or LaRue, or if I couldn't afford that a DPMS. A few friends have the DPMS and they are as reliable as my Armalite and are a lot more accurate. My favorite reasonably priced one was the Bushmaster but it was only made for a few years. I'm also mourning the lack of cheap surplus ammo...

Hey, I finally got mine in June! But only after becoming a squeaky wheel (which isn't like me).

Anyway, I think DPMS just slapped it together and shipped it out. On initial inspection the gas key was loose. I mean LOOSE - it rattled when I'd shake the carrier, which is how I noticed it. I unscrewed the bolts and took it off. Luckily they had also done a poor job of staking the bolts and I was able to remove them. Cleaned them up, and replaced using red Loctite. So, I figured I was good to go - WRONG. At the range I got an average of 8 failures for every 10 rounds! A reliability rate of 20% just doesn't pack it with me. Sure, some guns need to be 'shot in', but this was ridiculous! The first couple of range sessions it was short stroking, but the last one was double feeds and failures to extract.

I returned the upper and just got a notice that it has been shipped back and I should have it next week. When I have a chance to wring in out, I'll report back. ;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned P.O.F.'s .308 gas piston driven platform.

After shooting an Armalite AR10 extensively and a KAC SR25, I had such a good experience with a POF in .223 I thought I'd try it in .308.

I opted for the 16" barrel and have tried it at 100 yd.s with a 1-4X optic.

It is accurate but with less than 100rounds through it, I haven't been able to form an opinion on its reliability.

It should be reliable because the .223 platform is the most reliable AR15 I have with the least amount of maintenance.

The SR25 was smooth and reliable right out of the box.

The Armalite AR10 was reliable but required an after market trigger,(as well as a grip, trigger guard, bolt release upgrade, charging handle upgrade and Magpul or VLTOR stock ) to meet my standards.

The DPMS 19 round mags function reliably in the SR25 and the POF.

Armalites GEN II mags are a big improvement over the original configuration in terms of reliability.

I sho the ITRC in Gillette, WY last week. There was a guy using a POF and he was having some trouble it, I did not speak to him @ length but he was not happy.....

Update:

I got my LR308 upper back from DPMS repair, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It looks good and the gas key is tight and properly staked this time. The invoice says that the gas key was undersized and was replaced. (That could explain why it was a fancy single shot!) Test fired at the factory with normal functioning. We'll see....

I originally purchased a Armalite AR-10A4C which is the 16" carbine version. The accuracy is reasonable but not quite what I wanted. Also to get the velocity up I wanted to get a longer barrel. So I decided to get a Noveske 21" upper. I added the stock, grip, and an Armalite NM trigger. It shoots Black Hills Gold GREAT. I recently purchased a Lower and LPK to put the 16" on so now I have 2. Any way here she is. I had the barrel coated black.

post-17574-1252034244_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1252672281_thumb.jpg

Those lonnnnnnnng wait times were why I bought all the parts separately from different sources over several months and put this baby together!

18-1/2" chrome lined Criterion barrel with RIFLE length gas system, Fulton Armory Titan .308 Bolt carrier group, DPMS LR-308 upper and lower and free float handguard, JP comp and fire control group, C-products mags. Works like a charm, no issues at all from the first shot.

I guess I got lucky with my SR-25 ... it runs flawlessly and consistently shoots under 1/2 moa with the correct ammo.

The original KAC magazines all needed to be "tuned" to operate properly but the gun itself has been perfect. The "sniper" trigger is similar to a JP and is very nice.

I finally got bored with waiting for my 20" and 24" RRA 308 to ship (I ordered them at SHOT in 2008 ;) ) so I picked up a new 24" stainless heavy barrel DPMS.

I hated the "raised" upper so I scrounged a regular height upper, dug a old Clark 308 handguard out of my junk parts bin, and built this:

AR_308_DPMS_convert.JPG

Naturally, as soon as I had it assembled, my long-awaited CMMG "G3" magazine lower showed up. So I built that to match the DPMS...no bolt hold open, and the mags don't drop free. However, it is rather nice using reliable $1 magazines :roflol:

And then two weeks after that, my RRA 20" showed up.

I haven't got that one pimped out yet, though, so it is hard to compare :)

Alex

Edited by Wakal

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Once I figured that the factory mags were junk my LR 308 B with the JP trigger upgrade has run like a champ with the C Products units. As previous posters have noted it really runs out of gas around 800 yards, but it's still comfortably under 1 MOA at 300 with 155 gr. Scenars at 2650 fps. and in the X ring more often than not at 600.

I bought a GAP AR 10 with a 20" Krieger barrel. The most accurate rifle I have, better than my AW 24" inside 300Y. I shot one 3 shot group at 100M with my GAP with custom ammo that was in the teens. The gun is very tight and the Krieger barrel is amazing. PS a good load with less .003 runout helps too. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...