Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tinnitus How many have it

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years of working in machine /sheetmetal shops has probably done more than shooting. 100 ton punch presses and NC punch presses really do it. 15" barrel long range pistols didn't help either. I use plugs and muffs shooting .22 lr indoors, and I don't care for Open guns indoors, outside they're loud enough.

A few years back, at a Highpower match, 2 younger shooters were talking about a concert, one mentioned that his ears were still ringing even though the concert was on the previous Wednesday. I told him it wasn't going to stop.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Do you mean that there are people out there that DON'T have ringing in their ears?

Let's see, Pop liked to make loud noises hen I was a kid, If e ran out of fireworks we'd make or on, (Don't ask me here), then there was shooting, motorcycles, carts, tools, loud music and all the rest.

Quiet rooms are my enemy and even with reasonable background levels this can be rough.

Jim

Probably a lot of things added to mine.

Marine Corp - M1, M14 and 106mm recoiless

Drag racing - C/MP and Fuel Funny Car

Motocross

Mines not high blood pressure 110/80 today.

Lots of trouble understanding speech with background noise.

Having the TV or radio on helps to hide the ringing.

I have it in both ears, plus a huge hearing loss(the cause is mostly hereditary for me).

The sad part is no matter how hard you try to warn friends to protect their hearing, they cannot imagine having tinnitus forever.

Some people only suffer the last few years of their lives, but some of us get it at twenty years old.

Every time I see someone on a dove shoot with no hearing protection, I feel sorry for the poor bastard, he just doesn't know what kind of hell on earth he may be causing for his ears one day.

Yup, I've got it too. My hearing is very sensitive and I can still hear things even at low amplitude. My daughter doesn't listen to her iPod very loud at all, I've checked it myself due to concern of her getting her ears damaged. But, I can still hear the music from her earbuds when she's in the back seat of my diesel truck running down I35 at 75mph! However, I still hear the ringing especially when it's quiet. I also have a problem understanding someone talking to me in a crowded restaurant.

I think lots of things contributed to this. Growing up, I never wore hearing protection while shooting or operating power tools or chainsaws. Playing percussion in school band and attending numerous rock concerts without ear plugs couldn't have helped either!

Thomas

16 years in the construction industry, working on dirt late models, rock concerts, shooting without plugs when I was younger, motorcycles and 4-wheelers have all left their mark on my hearing or whats left of it.Just a nice even ring in my ears. :angry2:

Scott

I've got a low level ringing in both ears. Not bad enough to really get in the way but it's there.

Rode motorcycles extensively till about my mid-20s. Started wearing earplugs as the fatigue from the wind noise was a factor on daylong 700 mile runs. Always wore hearing protection while shooting. Always wore hearing protection while on the flight line. Wear hearing protection while running power tools or any internal combustion engine tool. Wore earplugs while skydiving.

Did everything right and still have ringing ears. Chalking part of it up as my 50th birthday present.

Mine rings constant.....When I first started shooting I started a stage without my plugs....didn't know the rules and guess RO didn't catch it.....got off 20 rounds before it became to painful and I stopped...told him I didn't care about finishing I had to have some relief.......he then informed me I got a reshoot.......its the rules.....

Then I fired off 1 round with AR with plugs out and that pretty much finished me off.......

I actually get a very small disability pension from the military for mine. I guess a .50 cal will do it no matter how many earplugs you have in.

I do too. When I took my retirement physical, I was in the audio booth happily pushing the buttons when the booth door opened. I asked the lady "are we done already?". She said "we haven't started yet!"

I keep a radio or tv on for background noise most of the time now. It distracts me from the ringing.

I am accustomed to it.

Dave

I retired from the Army in January of 2005 and I was told most emphatically that hearing loss and tinnitus do not qualify for disability. I did get a little for other things.

I get 10% for it. Retired in 2000. You might want to get another opinion.

WHAT?

HUH?

Honey....did you say something?

Then stop mumbling dammit!

USMC 106 recoiless rifle is gut-damm LOUD!

First time we fired live fire with it I damm near let out some urine.

Standing right next to the breech end and then having NO ear pro did wonders for my ears/hearing.

I CAN'T follow conversations in crowded restaurants...have to mute the TV to follow what someone in the room is saying...usual stuff.

When its real quiet I hear the ringing all the time.....along with "The Voices". :roflol:

JK

Well my ring is deep in my head, I hear it as in my ear but it comes from the inside. A few years back it spiked real bad, made my eye water bad. Like a trumpet in my head going for the high note

What Rocky had that made the scream stop buy just putting and tuning the device in my right ear. -As he tuned it the ring/ scream fade out even in my left side. for the first time in 8 + years I herd what I remembered as normal.

The kids voice from the other side of the Vendor tent did not scratch at my brain. And when he removed the thing the ring did not come back rite away.

He made a good go at explaining it to me with some cadaver medical photos.

I am getting my test in the AM after that I fax him the results , he does the "settings" to them and sends them to me. I hope to have them in a week or less.

They are behind the ear devices that have a small tube that goes into the ear canal.

Well my ring is deep in my head, I hear it as in my ear but it comes from the inside. A few years back it spiked real bad, made my eye water bad. Like a trumpet in my head going for the high note

What Rocky had that made the scream stop buy just putting and tuning the device in my right ear. -As he tuned it the ring/ scream fade out even in my left side. for the first time in 8 + years I herd what I remembered as normal.

The kids voice from the other side of the Vendor tent did not scratch at my brain. And when he removed the thing the ring did not come back rite away.

He made a good go at explaining it to me with some cadaver medical photos.

I am getting my test in the AM after that I fax him the results , he does the "settings" to them and sends them to me. I hope to have them in a week or less.

They are behind the ear devices that have a small tube that goes into the ear canal.

I think those are what I've been seeing lately. Will be interested in how they work for ya. Someone said the VA has a version of those...

My Tinnitus is pretty severe. A crowded restaurant/bar is something I avoid. Hearing the sound of a crowd is kinda eerie when you can't make out what the words are. And like GentlemanJim said, when I'm in a quiet room you could dump in a billion crickets with me and I wouldn't hear a difference...

Too many years as a rock-n-roll drummer with no hearing protection. I've forgotten what silence sounds like. I can't hear a damn thing people say in crowds of people. I guess I've learned to tune it out the ring for the most part, but it can distract me from reading/studying sometimes. I work with computers all day and the fan noises mask the constant ring, but that noise makes the problem worse with time I'm sure. It's louder sometimes than others and at it's worst can keep me from getting to sleep. When I'm really stressed out, it seems to get worse. I've had a few isolated episodes the past couple years where it spikes kind of like feedback tone in my head on one side. Very alarming situation all of a sudden. I thought I was going to black out once because it got so loud and painful while I was sitting in a class. Only lasted maybe a minute fortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Report! Got my set Friday afternoon. included was some basic instructions, and Rock had told me to call him when they came in so that he could go over a few things. It was Friday night I decided to wait and call him on Monday/ Today 3-16-09

Using the set rite away did not have the same effect it did when Rocky Demoed them for me at Fort Benning. = (more on that after the phone call from Rocky)

The Tinnitus did not go away but the sharp edge was taken off. eating at a restaurant last night was not unpleasant. even when a tray was dropped.

Sound was readjusted to the point of enjoyment. conversation with my wife did not have to include me watching her lips to try and pull her words out of the pile of restaurant eaters.

$1,000 price tag and the scream squeal was tamed but still in place. -The instruction said not to ware them for more than 2hr at a time twice a day for the first week-

The Radio music has depth with out volume = very nice :)

The Monday morning alarm / wake up did not include a force 8 squeal at 6am. The tinnitus was tamed some even though I had not worn the plugs/ aids past 11pm. Improvement already

After the phone call with Rock of Custom Made Earplugs even more improvement.

He told me how to get the (Wire bud) deeper in my ear to be more effective. and to turn up the dial on the volume just a bit higher .= I had it on a low setting. He says, the units will continue to improve on how much they help the Tinnitus. I believe him

:rolleyes: Now! Thats Is Nice!!!!! He says a foam insert may even help more.

My tinnitus was what I would call level #3 with a scale of 10 as gun fire 20 yards away and a normal voice was 5 (3 would be the TV on normal sound level in the next room with the door open and you are 10 feet from that door.

NOW the squeal is level 1 and I am 15 from that open door with the TV on.

I laying on the bed in a mostly quiet room the AC vent fan= this is (San Antonio) is louder than the tinnitus.

Last week the AC unit made less Nice than my Skull.

Tomorrow night we go to the Spurs Game , normally I would have my ear plugs in as we enter the gates. = I will report back on that.

I think this is the best $1,000 I have spent in some time The tinnitus is still present, but now it is at a level I can manage.

Jamie

Just got in from the Spurs Game. I used the ear phone and the noise level in the arena was not -Bad-, <_< Bad as in the past I would be trying to decide if I would have rather been hit with a 2x4 or a 4x4 instead of going to the game.

even with ear plugs. The shooting is not as bad a big area like that with all the sound and drums and speakers.

I was able to hear just about every word my wife said and still manage the extra noise in the area.

The Tinnitus is at about 1/2 of what it was last week and at this level I can manage / deal with it.

Music sounds good :)

I don't think I will try and Meditate for a few more weeks , but I can see that it could happen again.

|Edit } AM 3-17update report. :mellow: this is one of the Bad days , my skull has three Tunning Forks sticking out of it with one out of tune to the other two. No Miracle Cure but I can tell after a few minutes the device is taking one of the Forks out. The Squeal level now is 2 to 2.5 -On a bad day it would be a 4 - 4.5 at the same level as a normal voice.

:wacko: So I am getting some help :wacko:

Edited by AlamoShooter

I have it, not as bad as some. Years of standing in front of devices that said Fender, Marshall, Ampeg, drummers that were apparently dealing with pent up rage, and lead singers that thought it was their job to create airflow around the band with sound pressure off the monitors.

yea, growing up in the 60's, rock&roll, too many nights with head under the hood of a car, always love to shoot rifles,shotguns and pistols, yea those stupid years will catch up with ya, oh and years in the field as a corpman with the mardiv,and aircraft carriers did'nt help any either, the miltary doctors are just now starting to wonder if there is any fix for it, I also draw a small disablity check once a month, backround music don't help mine, the buzz is always there, sometimes loud sometimes not and getting older don't help either, this sucks :angry2: