Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 for SS Play AND LE Work

ChristopherG

I have been a competitive shooter for just a few years; a little USPSA and a good bit of IDPA. Mostly wheelguns, a bit of production/SSP. I've been a LEO for only the most recent couple of those years.

I'm now a Deputy Sheriff in a department that will allow me to carry either a Glock (currently a 35) or a 1911. I haven't shot 1911's much, and don't yet own one, but believe it will be the platform of preference for me. Because I want to continue to shoot in competitive settings, I want to make my first 1911 a good choice for BOTH duty (priority #1, of course) AND competition (though I don't expect a duty gun to be a 'race' single-stack gun). I'd like to use it in both USPSA Single Stack and IDPA CDP.

So my constraints are: I need a 1911 that is duty-reliable. I need either stainless or another very durable finish. I need sturdy fixed night sights (and prefer Heinies among those I've used). I'd prefer to spend an amount that's closer to $1,000 than $2,000. Beyond that, I don't really know what I need, or which models and manufactures of 1911 are best suited to the overlap I'd like to achieve.

Thanks--Any and all suggestions or discussion would be very welcome!

You may want to look at the Techwell magwell system, too. Easy on/off so you can have something racy for the weekends and a little more duty oriented for more serious work. I'll bet you a steak dinner that the majority of respondents are either going to suggest a Kimber or Springfield, both of which can be had with a good trigger, night sights of your choice, and the Techwell system for at or near $1000. If they'll let you spend more, I'd suggest you use the rest on a good open top kydex holster and mag pouches and quality mags.

Look for a used Wilson CQB. They are great pistols for the money and you should be able to find a used one in the $1,500.00 range. There is nothing wrong with the pistols listed by the other posters. I'm just a big fan of Wilson and their customer service. If you happen to find a used one, they will warranty it, just like a brand new one.

FWIW, I have a CQB and a Lightweight Professional that I carry at work. I love em! :cheers:

Although pricier than you list, for duty I'd look at a D&L Sports 1911. The gunsmith there is a retired Sheriff's Deputy, is fanatical about reliability/durability, and is very attuned to duty requirements. Dave normally sets his triggers with 0.030 of sear engagement as opposed to a lot of places where 0.020 is standard.

I'd give Dave a call before you buy, even if you don't get one of his guns I think he'll point you in the right direction.

I don't want a light rail on a gun, but aside from that, I think this article by Hilton Yam (also see his information about choice of magazines, recently updated) is very useful. I don't think he mentions STI in any way, but the Trojan or similar would be my choice if they'd let me carry a 1911 at work.

the link http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html

Brent

Edited by sheepdog

STI Trojan or a Springfield Loaded, get it Ion Bonded and it is "bullet-proof" :D

Have fun and welcome to SS

STI Spartan from Lovestoshoot ionbonded. Another good option is a used Wilson if it can be had for <1500. Personally if it was a duty gun, I would get a custom from someone who understands your requirement for it going bang every time you squeeze the trigger. It's going to run you 2K but you will be hard pressed to wear it out EVER. Quality mags are a must, i.e. Wilson or CM.

STI Trojan hands down! :cheers: I saw other brands mentioned choke. My Trojan ran 100% at the WSSSC with virtually no maintenance, magazines included. Plus STI's support and customer service are second to none. ;)

Edited by Rocket35

I've been shooting a Kimber Gold Combat in competition for 4 or 5 years now (switched from a Glock, incidentally) and love it. Its photo is my avatar. The only thing I would have done differently is gone for the stainless steel model, as the finish wears off, which from what I've seen is the case with all finishes short of a Glock style parkerization.

I'm not LE, but I'd be 100% comfortable with trusting my life to it, AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT CLEAN!!! It's a custom shop, hand fitted gun, and if you let it gunk up after about 400 rounds and combine that with cold weather, the cycling "gets mushy" if you know what I mean. Also, it is heavy for daily carry. For this reason, you might want to consider going for an alloy framed model, which I believe is guaranteed not to show wear for 15,000-20,000 rounds. Personally, I figured that I'd shoot infitely more than 20,000 over the next 50 years that I plan to shoot it, so I went for the steel frame. You need to weigh that balance yourself.

Given what you say that you want in a gun, the Kimber Gold Combat has everything you want, plus a non-obtrusive magwell. It was about $1600 when I bought it then, so I'm not sure about the price now. The only other thing I'd say is to toss the magazine that comes with it into the back of your closet and get some Wilson Combats.

Edited by jkrispies

I have been a competitive shooter for just a few years; a little USPSA and a good bit of IDPA. Mostly wheelguns, a bit of production/SSP. I've been a LEO for only the most recent couple of those years.

I'm now a Deputy Sheriff in a department that will allow me to carry either a Glock (currently a 35) or a 1911. I haven't shot 1911's much, and don't yet own one, but believe it will be the platform of preference for me. Because I want to continue to shoot in competitive settings, I want to make my first 1911 a good choice for BOTH duty (priority #1, of course) AND competition (though I don't expect a duty gun to be a 'race' single-stack gun). I'd like to use it in both USPSA Single Stack and IDPA CDP.

So my constraints are: I need a 1911 that is duty-reliable. I need either stainless or another very durable finish. I need sturdy fixed night sights (and prefer Heinies among those I've used). I'd prefer to spend an amount that's closer to $1,000 than $2,000. Beyond that, I don't really know what I need, or which models and manufactures of 1911 are best suited to the overlap I'd like to achieve.

Lots of good advice, none of it wrong in my experience.

My recommendation is find one you like. STI, Kimber, Wilson, Springfield, Rock River Arms, etc., at a price you can afford. Then, send it to Benny Hill to have him make it a little better. A good going-over by a competent 'smith is money well spent. Good luck!

I have yet to see a gun come from the factory that could not use a reliability upgrade from a good gun smith. I would add Matt McLearn to that list of folks who do a great job.

You have a couple of things to watch out for: If a trigger job is performed it needs to be in conformance with your agency's standards. In other words, a 2 lb trigger job will get you in trouble if there is a shooting and hearing.

Second, I have had LEO involved in a few justified shootings. Each time, his gun taken and put into evidence. So if you invest big bucks in a SS be aware that it may reside in evidence for a long period of time.

I have seen many LEO use the SA TRP with great success. SA does a good job of taking care of LEOs. Wilson does a good job also. You might be able to get a LEO discount.

Be cognizant of what caliber you choose. The .40 S&W can be problematic with feeding problems. Most smiths can resovle this issue. The .45 is not as picky.

This is all great and welcome advice. It also puts me in mind of a few other things I've already decided but didn't list above. I do know I want to go with a .45; and I've decided on a steel 5" gun--partly from having read some at 10-8 and partly from shooting them.

I'm looking avidly at all these suggestions; thanks for making them and any others that come to mind!

For duty or defensive open carry I wouldnt reccommend a Single stack 1911 at all. Hey it's a great weapon but why ? A double stack STI will give you twice to three times the ammo capacity in the same weight and size. Something along the lines of an STI Eagle in .40 would be a great duty gun, Let you carry 60 rounds with only two spare mags, be a great IDPA ESP gun. Add a mag funnel and some tweaked game mags and it would be a good USPSA Limited gun.

Just a quick question --

What is your department's policy regarding modifications to the basic pistol?

No personal experience, but I have friends whose departments restrict the modifications that can be done to a carry pistol, if done by anyone other than the department's armorer or contracted gunsmith. partly from litigation concerns and partly from insurance liability.

Just about all the suggestions are great, but if your department's policy is restrictive, some could be moot.

To toss in another thought --

You said you haven't shot 1911s much, have you shot Glocks a lot?

Perosnally, I love old slabsides, (JMB :bow: ) but you seem to be ready to lock yourself in to a sidearm that you BELIEVE will be the platrom of preference. Do you have time to borrow one and run through some competitions with it, or do you ned to pull the trigger on getting set up in the near term?

Edited by Punkin Chunker

Other things to be considered for a 1911 carry gun:

Make sure whatever 1911 you end up using that it will function reliably with your duty rounds from your duty mags. Don't base reliability strictly on ball ammo, handloads, competition loads, etc. Yes, it can get expensive to test fire your 1911 with duty rounds, but you have to know that they will function 100 percent of the time.

Maintenance: the 1911 requires more maintenance than a GLOCK. You need to be deligent about maintaining your weapon, especially when it's exposed to the elements. I'm sure you've heard stories, especially in law enforcement, about how many rounds they have fired without cleaning their weapon. It sounds cool, but is it really worth the risk as an LEO? That's when Murphy usually rears his head :unsure:

Just my .02

Folks are raising legitimate concerns, and I appreciate them. E.g. :

Alloy vs. Steel: I know I want a steel gun because I know I like to shoot my guns a lot. But the idea of a lighter gun for full-time duty carry is, of course, appealing. Maybe two guns is the answer here. I expect the way I'll want to start out, however, is steel, and see how it goes. I can always get a lighter analog to add to the armory.

Department policy: Fortunately, my dept will support pretty much whatever I want to carry if it is safe. I don't WANT to carry a 2.5 lb trigger, but I know at least one deputy who does, with departmental support.

I have a good bit of experience shooting Glocks, and enough shooting (and considering) 1911's to recognize the significantly different requirements in user training, care and maintenance. Carrying a 1911, I recognize, is a commitment, one that's different from carrying a typical modern service pistol (e.g., a Glock). It's a commitment I'm prepared to make.

Of course, I could be wrong in forecasting that I'll enjoy carrying the 1911 over other available options: but that's a chance I'm willing to take. You only get to go around once, and becoming 1911-proficient is certainly on my list of things to do in my go-round, whether I end up using it as an on-the-job tool or not!

A gun that no one mentioned was a Taurus PT1911. They are forged, and the ones that I have shot were accurate and reliable. I do believe I would put in a Wilson pin set, and fit a quality hammer, sear and disconnector. These simple mods along with installing the grips of your choice and using Wilson mags would get you a good pistol for not alot of money.

As far as maintenance goes, my frankenstein 30+ year old Colt runs very well dirty. I only shoot an average of 5k rounds per year (titegroup powder and precision bullets) and I clean it before the first major match of the season, after that I only put a little lube on the rails and chamber hood when it gets dry looking (two or three times a year).

Whatever you choose, you should be able to manually cycle an empty case through it. If it will do that, it should feed any type of ammo.

I love the 1911.

Hurley