Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you are currently using a shok buff

RangerTrace

I run one in the STI Edge you see in my avatar, every single day. They don't fall apart - and the gun doesnt chew 'em up very much. So it only gets changed every 3 months or so.

I have been running shok-buffs for 3 years now (both in open & limited guns), and have never had a reason to think they might jam my guns.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot and carried 1911s for 11 years (now running a Glock), had Shok-Buffs in all of them, and NEVER had a problem (4 different guns, two different gunsmiths). After 5000 rounds or so I would usually replace them as they began to get a little dented. One thing I always did was trim them to make sure they weren't any bigger than the head of my recoil rod. Back in the day I knew a lot of Open shooters that would put 2 in their gun to make it cycle faster. As far as I'm concerned if your gun is chewing up Shok-Buffs there's something out of whack with your gun, because I was shooting .45s and 10mms back when Major was 175.

Fragged-out buffers are a very common source of malfunctions at our local club matches. Doesn't matter how many times you warn people, they still insist on using them, apparently convinced that without a piece of plastic in there a 1911's frame will break or get "worn out."

It's a pretty incredible marketing story, though.

I shot and carried 1911s for 11 years (now running a Glock), had Shok-Buffs in all of them, and NEVER had a problem (4 different guns, two different gunsmiths). After 5000 rounds or so I would usually replace them as they began to get a little dented. One thing I always did was trim them to make sure they weren't any bigger than the head of my recoil rod. Back in the day I knew a lot of Open shooters that would put 2 in their gun to make it cycle faster. As far as I'm concerned if your gun is chewing up Shok-Buffs there's something out of whack with your gun, because I was shooting .45s and 10mms back when Major was 175.

Haven't been shooting as long as the guys on this board, but I can say that they have worked extremely well for me. I like the way they make my gun feel during recoil. (could be my grip, stance... could be a number of things that contribute to this). In my Para 1640 and Springer Gov't 45 I'm running a 14# Recoil Spring & 19# Mainspring with one Wilson Shok-buff. I simply change them out every 2500 rounds and I'm good to go. Haven't had a jam yet due to the Shok-buff. Funny - it works for few and causes headaches for most, I'm just glad they're working real good for me as I need all the help I can get these days :D ! JMHO, FWIW

Regards,

Brian

I run a CP shock buff in my Baer SS 1911. I've run "other" brands of buffs that didn't last 500 rounds without being destroyed. I have never had them tie up the gun, BUT, I change them often. I run a 14# spring with 175 PF ammo.

I have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of people when it comes to shock buffs. Those that have had them fail and those that someday probably will. I changed camps today.

I had a CZ75 TS those gun come from the factory with a shock buff on a plastic guide rod. Hand no issues but changed the shock buff every 3000 rounds when it started to look beat up.

I have 4 sti's two open two Edge, no shock buffs, no issues and no tennis elbow..

• 1 month later...

I used them for a while, then I figured out that a well built gun will run a couple hundred thousand rounds on a couple different barrels without them. If your guide rod isn't fitted right a buffer is a good idea. If your recoil spring preference is a couple pounds lighter than is prudent a buffer makes sense. Otherwise ditch the buffer, just one more thing that can go wrong.

• 2 months later...

I shoot Limited division with an STI Edge - slightly lightened slide, and full length rod with reverse plug. I started experimenting with recoil spring weights, and found I really liked the 12 lb spring - but when I used a shok buf with a Cominoli type washer, I felt a few hesitations to feed, and had a FTF in a match. So I removed the shok buf, and normal reliable cycling was restored.

But I wondered how badly the mating surfaces were being peened. As an experiment, I milled out a Cominoli style washer out of 6061 Aluminum - about .040 thick, and ran it for a practice session with just the 12 pound spring. After about 200 rounds, it now looks like this picture. Just outside the spring diameter is where the reverse plug impacts it against the rear of the guide rod. It stamped out a .025 groove, and expanded the overall diameter. I don't know if this is a significant indicator, but clearly it hits hard.

I'm now back to a Cominoli-style washer, a shok buf, and a 14 lb spring.

post-5415-1254002507_thumb.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of people when it comes to shock buffs. Those that have had them fail and those that someday probably will. I changed camps today.

They certainly need to be checked for fit and they need to be maintained just like any other part. Clearly, based on the posts in this thread, a lot of us use them without issue.

• 1 month later...

i have been running them in every auto i have for many years. never had a problem with them. i replace them as needed during cleaning. no malfunctions at all. i did try a st! recoil mastr system, shot 3 stages and had my first failure to feed in my single stack since 2003 when i got the gun. tossed the recoil bastard and it was back to perfect. the recoil actualy felt harder and more flip with the recoil master. just shot area 2 and 2 matches prior and 1 match after with the same buffer, roughly 650 rounds, no problems. shows some wear marks so it may be due. i run a 14# spring in a 45 with 178 PF loads, so the slide is moving fast.

Scott

Edited by scottyinAZ

I shoot Limited division with an STI Edge - slightly lightened slide, and full length rod with reverse plug. I started experimenting with recoil spring weights, and found I really liked the 12 lb spring - but when I used a shok buf with a Cominoli type washer, I felt a few hesitations to feed, and had a FTF in a match. So I removed the shok buf, and normal reliable cycling was restored.

But I wondered how badly the mating surfaces were being peened. As an experiment, I milled out a Cominoli style washer out of 6061 Aluminum - about .040 thick, and ran it for a practice session with just the 12 pound spring. After about 200 rounds, it now looks like this picture. Just outside the spring diameter is where the reverse plug impacts it against the rear of the guide rod. It stamped out a .025 groove, and expanded the overall diameter. I don't know if this is a significant indicator, but clearly it hits hard.

I'm now back to a Cominoli-style washer, a shok buf, and a 14 lb spring.

post-5415-1254002507_thumb.jpg

I have the same thing but shaped like a guide rod head and it has been there for 150,000 rounds on a cominolli frame saver tungsten rod.

I use wilson blue buffs on the front and back of the rod. The only one that gets damaged is the back part which i replace every 400 or so rounds when there is a small cut/indentation on it.

The front one i replace every year.

Incidentally mine does not get peened that much. I think its made of a thin stainless steel plate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used them in the past (for no more than a few hundred rounds)....then someone, who's opinion I respect, told me they were "un-necessary"....I got to thinking about it....and I suppose they could "short-stroke" the slide.....but I don't know....i suppose a light load with a heavy spring would also do the same? eh, either way....I can't see any benefit to using one...if the gun is set-up properly....there shouldn't be any damage to anything, w/o a Shok-Buff....maybe I should give them a try again at some point....the poll show's quite a few folks using them....hmmm

Edited by AriM

Another vote for CP shok buffs. I have run them in all of my guns for years without a single problem. It would be interesting to know if the problems people are reporting are limited to a particular types of buffs (ex. soft vs. hard).