Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Sporting Rifle

Rocket35

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can build a lot of AR for that kind of money. With exactly what I want on it and a premium barrel (not that you have to have a premium barrel).

On the other hand that is msrp and not street price... So we'll just have to see what they have come up with.

Edited to add If sti is selling it I have a feeling it'll perform.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Edited by caspian guy

Yep, thats our comp (thanks Benny :) )

I did get to look at this rifle at the shot show, it's a 16" mid length gas tube, stainless steel barrel. I'm pretty sure it is not a Green Mountain barrel.

Picking it up, it did seem like a nice little, light, well balanced AR, and at $1800 MSRP......I bet no one pays that, probably more like $1600 or less. But even so.....I bet Chuck has all his sold already.

I use an extra light JP 18" for 3 gun, but realistically, I'd probably get by just fine with a 16" as I am in tac-op class. And I may end up do that....John doesnt have any more of those pencil thin barrels that I like so much.

Edited by TRUBL

Just my .02. STI should stick with their handguns. They tried the overpriced 10/22 then the SA Colt clone now they are jumping in on the "get it while you can" overpriced AR craze. I'd send my 1800 to Benny. There is nothing special about that rifle.

Yep, thats our comp (thanks Benny :) )

I did get to look at this rifle at the shot show, it's a 16" mid length gas tube, stainless steel barrel. I'm pretty sure it is not a Green Mountain barrel.

And I am absolutely certain without a shadow of a doubt they are Green Mountain barrels. It was in print somewhere, I think the website, but I recommended they remove it and it looks like they did (not because I said so I'm sure). Like I said earlier, it would be better for them to say "match quality bbl" and let people wonder. A lot of people know better than to pay $1800 for an AR with no accuracy guarantee and a suspect bbl with a less than stellar reputation.

Hopefully on their next run they'll use a better barrel.

STI stands by their stuff pretty well.

Most of the AR folks on this forum are leaps and bounds ahead of the rank and file buyers out there.

I would bet maybe 1000 to one, over the counter guns to high end comp guns.

I looked at this rifle at the shot show...its a pretty nice little gun, and it has some nice stuff in it.

A friend of mine, fellow hot rodder drives the most obscure funkey cars ever built :roflol:

And I must admitt he has just as much or more fun than most :D

He claims that there is a butt for every seat :cheers:

This rifle...or any rifle for that matter will not be exactly what each of us thinks is a perfect setup.

But I am pretty sure this rifle will be just fine for lots of folks!

I wish STI all the best in their new adventure!

Jim

OK I sat back and read all the posts on this thread again. Here it is, my long awaited response with no disclaimers or apologies.

This is a mid-priced, mid-featured, soon-available, out-of-the box solution. This is like buying a STI Edge. It wasn't meant for those of you who spend $3000 on a rifle, just like the Edge wasn't meant for those of you who spend $2500 on a pistol. Since I personally use the $2500 pistol, and the $3000 rifle, I understand what ideal is. Most of the complaints I see here are from guys who don't shoot stock pistols either. It is way better for competition that a stock Bushmaster, DMPS, XYZ M4gery. This is the gun for the guy who wants to play, likes STI, and doesn't want to buy his own parts. I wouldn't have ordered 35 of these rifles if I didn't like them. The balance feels great, the handguard accepts JP 12 and 6 o'clock rails, the gas system is softer than a carbine, it has a decent comp, it has an awesome trigger. It will sell. Though MSRP is $1800, it will likely sell for $1620. Buy any m4, put a free float handguard ready for rails, picatinny or low profile gas block, JP trigger, Nordic (or anyone else's) Comp, etc. on it and see what the cost is. I don't expect to see this gun take over the market, I do expect the response to be positive from the average USPSA shooter wanting to get into 3gun.

I bought a JP Rifle - the "VTac" for the same price but with an aces stock and a 16" barrel. I use it for 3 gun and 2 gun at one of my local gun clubs. Well worth the money. Right out of the box it has shot very well, but when I start doing my own reloading it should shoot even better. It will take some time for me to get used to running the gun. Right now the gun shoots better than I do. But that should change as I use it.

I hear they are assembled with foreign labor down in Florida.....no wait thats a forged lower up in Montana...no wait, I heard that full boat on a Saber competition rifle was well over $1800. I have also heard that DPMS uses Wilson barrels exclusively, but I also know that DPMS makes their own barrels, we do hear a lot, don't we. Looks like a nice mid-level carbine...I would like to see a 20" barrel but everyone and his brother want,s them short so why should STI not make them this way?? Now I am in no way sponsored by STI but I will say they look like well made rifles. KurtM

+1

Your avatar had me hypnotized me for about three minutes... :unsure:

+1 on that.

Back to the topic, I think it will be the same great out-of-the-box product that STI makes and somebody out there can surely rock the match with it straight from the box. Of course with sights and good zero ;)

A stripped lower would be nice too; just to have that STI logo on the receiver :)

I will wait to see one,, and then pass judgment, with all of the hit or miss Mod's I have made on my rifle, over the years, $1800 is cheap.

They are right down the road, from me, I hope they take my invite to come and shoot one of our local 3 Gun matches. So that they can show off their new toy.

Jim M ammo