Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Sporting Rifle

Rocket35

SportingRifleComp09_Main.jpg

Just wondering what the Benos experts' thoughts were on this new addition to the STI stable. Do you think it is priced a bit high or in the ballpark. Just wondering as I am considering purchasing one.

Rifle is offered in a competition and/or tactical set up. http://www.stiguns.com/guns/SportingRifle/SportingRifle.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they used a quality barrel like a Wilson then the price is spot on, but I'm not paying $1800 for a rifle with a Green Mountain barrel (they don't have the greatest reputation) with no accuracy guarantee. YMMV

Jay, have you looked into Compass Lake? They get my vote 100% for best bang for the buck.

I don't know if they have it listed anymore in the specs, but it was. I suggested they drop the Green Mountain BBL part and just put "quality match grade bbl".

I spoke with them at SHOT and told them my thoughts on the bbl they chose. With so many available, I hate they chose the GM.

I don't know if they have it listed anymore in the specs, but it was. I suggested they drop the Green Mountain BBL part and just put "quality match grade bbl".

I spoke with them at SHOT and told them my thoughts on the bbl they chose. With so many available, I hate they chose the GM.

Whew.....I thought I was losing it! :roflol:

I didn't see it in the specs.

I didn't see a reference to Green Mountain barrel, but, then middle age may have take over for a moment or two. Personally I think it's a bit high.

Jay, talk with Jim next weekend about an AR, you're sqadded with him.

I pretty much shoot with Jim every weekend. But was interested in this STI. But, seeing as it has a sub-quality barrel, I will be rethinking my decision. Thanks to all for the heads up.

For a competition shooter a mid length is not the best choice. If the barrels are Green Mountain there are better ones out there for sure.

I would have hoped STI would have done something a little more innovative than what I see here. Especially for a (real) custom gun price.

The hand guard looks kewl though......... ;)

Edited by Merlin Orr

Looks like a $1000 to $1100 AR-15 to me. $1800 is too much...however, it seems to be kind of hard to find the parts to build a rifle right now. Maybe a msrp of $1800 is not too bad.

Edited by ebg3

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this gun isn't going to shoot, I just like to bet on a horse that is known to win and Green Mountain ain't it.

Shooter's Connection has a whole bunch of these ordered and I'm sure Chuck and Mike will give us the skinny.

I am a big STI fan, and I'm sure they'll back up their product, I just like to have something in writing.

Someone once said "only accurate rifles are interesting". This one has yet to interest me.

Well it comes with the JP trigger which is nice but says a 16" barrel ? Why 16"
For a competition shooter a mid length is not the best choice. If the barrels are Green Mountain there are better ones out there for sure.

I would have hoped STI would have done something a little more innovative than what I see here. Especially for a (real) custom gun price.

The hand guard looks kewl though......... ;)

It depends on the weight of it & has little or sub-preformance looking comp.

I would choose 18" quality barrel, rifle-lengt adjustable gas system and different comp(depends what class you are going to shoot). I hope they have different choices for a customer or they change their AR-15 rifle little bit.

Agree. For that money & STI's experience with our sport, I would expect something closer to what JP Rifles turns out.

Short of a JP race rifle, I think STI would have done a lot better with an 18" barrel from a better known, accuracy-oriented barrel like a Lothar-Walther, Krieger or if on the cheap, a Criterion by Kreiger.

Since they went with a 16" barrel, at least they had the wisdom to go with a mid-length gas system.

Looks like a $1000 to $1100 AR-15 to me. $1800 is too much...however, it seems to be kind of hard to find the parts to build a rifle right now. Maybe a msrp of $1800 is not too bad.
Edited by Carlos

I applaud them for expanding their horizons, but I just ain't seeing $1800 worth of AR in that pic.

I'm guessing that " what really sets this rifle apart from the rest of the pack is the custom STI Valkyrie hand guard and gas block." is where the extra $500 or so comes from.

Edited by ken hebert

I am totally excited to see STI broadening their product line, but for $1800 bones I would expect a more options or some higher end components.

That being said if they offer their contingency program in 3 gun, I will take a receiver to build on.