Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon ammo boxes: No longer translucent?

The newest 10mm/40/44 bulk ammo boxes I've received are opaque blue, and not semi-transparent light blue like the previous ones.

Size and shape seem the same.

I can't call this an improvement.. it was nice to be able to see through the box at how full they were, or if they were empty, even if they were stacked up.

The new plastic feels different, more pliable, like it might be less prone to cracking and chipping.

The plastic ammo boxes are indeed an opaque blue. This is a stronger, more flexible material. The plastic supplier calls it "NoBreak".

We filled a 45ACP box with ammo, and dropped it from the top of the stairs (2nd floor) to the concrete floor- No damage to the box, and the latch stayed closed. We feel this is a superior product to offer. :cheers:

Hmm. I never had a problem with the old ones and I LIKE them being translucent, I can see which bullet I have without opening the box and pulling out a round. Sometimes a different way ISN'T a better way...

Oh well, Berry's still builds them correctly...

Ed

Thanks guys for the heads up, saved me some money and headaches. I also like them to be translucent so I will be ordering from Berry's this time around as well. Were there a lot of issues with cracking using the OLD material? I have been using them for many years and have never had one get damaged at all.

The plastic ammo boxes are indeed an opaque blue. This is a stronger, more flexible material. The plastic supplier calls it "NoBreak".

We filled a 45ACP box with ammo, and dropped it from the top of the stairs (2nd floor) to the concrete floor- No damage to the box, and the latch stayed closed. We feel this is a superior product to offer. :cheers:

Any chance you could offer both the "NoBreak" and the translucent, maybe call them the "classic", as I prefer the see through material as well.

Any chance you could offer both the "NoBreak" and the translucent, maybe call them the "classic", as I prefer the see through material as well.

+1 for offering both the "no break" and the "classic." this way everyones happy!!!

I have never had any breakage issues with the old ones and i think its very convient to be able to tell whats in a box with just a quick glance.

Hmm. I never had a problem with the old ones and I LIKE them being translucent, I can see which bullet I have without opening the box and pulling out a round. Sometimes a different way ISN'T a better way...

Oh well, Berry's still builds them correctly...

Ed

I don't know about correctly. I've got got several that are broken from being dropped out of the bag or off a table. They are an almost transparent orange.

I've had them not just break, but shatter.. the whole corner of the box reduced to shards and bits.

Looking over my old (lightblue) cases, many of them are chipped around the lip and corners. Hasn't kept them from working.

I'll see how these new ones work out. Midway / Frankford Arsenal still has cheap translucent ones if you really want 'em.

• 8 months later...

Translucent or not, after having my paper boxes get soaked at a match, I ordered some of the 100rd. boxes today. I do like the translucent part, but I will trade that off for a superior box. And those boxes will get beat up and banged on, so tough is a good thing. Dillon seldom does anything that is not an improvement. The bad part for me is I kept on finding things I needed, so the order just got bigger! Good folks to deal with.

IMO although initially I could see through the translucent boxes to see which load was in them, they quickly rubbed/scratched enough that there was no way to ID the rounds any longer. I also experience quite a bit of breakage primarily when traveling on the airlines.

I for one fully welcome a more durable, stronger box.

Translucent is a must for me. I am good for now as I ordered a couple of cases(50/case) 3 years ago, and none of them have broken yet.

If I drop a box of ammo on concrete or the ground and the ammo box breaks I am not blaming the $2.50 box.

Randy

I've got several of the old boxes that broke. I can live with the new ones if they're stronger. I load my 9 majors long and they put extra pressure on the box so if they don't break I'm happy.

I had a 1050 conversion box broken when my order arrived. I called dillon and they sent me a new one. The broken one was the translucent one.

I have some of the new ammo boxes and don't mind taking a quick look inside them before I throw them in my bag. I have a frankford arsenal case that fell one day and broke. I like durability over slightly translucent.

• 2 months later...

The solid color dillon boxes are great. The lids actually stay open so you can fill the box or load mags. My other boxes would never stay open far enough and they costed 3x as much as the dillons. I print up avery labels, similar to the dillon labels, write my load on them and stick them on the top of the lid.

I also strongly dislike the new boxes, and told so to the company... not that it matters much... of dozens of old boxes that I have I only have one with broken corner, no defective hinges, and I definitely love to see the ammo inside.

I returned my first order of solid ones, and will not be ordering more.

So I have been buying old ones on ebay. You pay a bit more, but you get what works for you.