Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saying Goodbye To My First Dog

Micah

The summer that I turned 13 I participated in a Habitat for Humanity mission in Juarez Mexico. I'm not sure how helpful I really was at 13, but I did what I could. Once I returned home from the mission I was greeted by a new face-my folks had adopted a miniature Shetland Sheepdog.

DSCN0135-1.jpg

Laddie and I have been through all kinds of crazy shit since then. When I moved to Lexington for college, he was the first face that I wanted to see on my visits back to Ohio. Every break-up, victory, defeat, and celebration that I have had, he has been there to listen.

After being diagnosed with kidney disease almost a year ago, he began to slow down. My folks have done everything that they could to make him healthy and comfortable, but in the past two months it is simply not enough anymore. Last night I brought my two dogs over to my folks house so that they could say goodbye to their older brother.

DSCN1846-1.jpg

At 4pm today I will join my folks as we say goodbye to an amazing friend. If you read this and have pets, just do me a favor and let them know how much you love them today.

So sorry to hear this PB. Losing a furry family member just sucks. All I can say is know that you're doing the right thing by relieving his suffering and try to remember all the good times you had together.

I just gave my two dogs an extra hug.

Micah, this will help. I tear up every time I read it as I remember my best friend, Karma, my 12 year old Australian Shepherd, who left us a year ago now.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

And:

"She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion."

Edited by vluc

Sorry to hear you have to go through this as it is never easy. I have had to bring 2 pets to the pound over the years. Last one was a 15 year old cat that had cancer. My wife and I were attached to this pet completely and we decided that to attempt to extend its life by a year or so would be inhumane and NOT in the best interest of the cat.

Both you an Laddie have been blessed. Laddie found someone to give him love and attention, and in return, you learned the unconditional love a dog can give.

Trust me, you will remember him your entire life, and when you do recall him, it will be the good times you two had.

Rest in peace faithful companion.

Anyone who thinks that dogs (and certain cats)(and other pets) don't have souls is nutz. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, but you did RIGHT by Laddie and he no doubt loved you in return. This loving memory is what you can take with you when you meet up with him again someday... at The Bridge.

I will go pet someone else's dog in his honor this week.

...that was one of the most difficult things that I have had to encounter in my life. It is a strange thing to see the life of a loved one drain from their eyes.

Laddie passed on the way that I want to go: In the arms and company of loved ones who I shared my life with.

I appreciate all of the kind and meaningful things that you have shared with me tonight.

...that was one of the most difficult things that I have had to encounter in my life. It is a strange thing to see the life of a loved one drain from their eyes.

Laddie passed on the way that I want to go: In the arms and company of loved ones who I shared my life with.

I appreciate all of the kind and meaningful things that you have shared with me tonight.

Hey Brother,

I feel your pain. Last year, I had to put down my first partner (drug dog) Rockdale. He was a 14 year old yellow lab that helped me and the State of Texas seize thousands of pounds of dope. But more than that, MUCH more than that, he was the most loyal being I have ever known. Dogs are amazing creatures and I thank God every day that He blessed my life with mine. I am very sorry to hear about Laddie. Nothing will heal the pain faster than three more puppies!!

I'm glad to hear you stayed with him while he left. I worked at a vet clinic & many people don't stay(I can understand)

But when I had to put my girl down last year, I had my face next to hers, so that I would be the last one she saw.

Sorry for your loss....

Sorry for your loss.

I lost a dog Rusty 9 years ago, with a instant heart blowout. For months after his death I would see him out of the corner of my eye walking up to me , or asleep on the floor, or sometimes in a room as i walked by the door. I did not know just how much I loved that dog until he was gone. My eyes water when I think of him

I have the Happy-est dog in the world now, DaKota was born the day that Rusty died

Damn, sorry to heat that. I had to take my first dog (of my own) in to be put down last spring and I still tear up thinking about it. Try to remember the good things and what that dog did to make you smile, everything is OK for them now and we are just behind the curve....