Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 or XDM?

steveyacht

I have a friend that is having a difficult time choosing between these the Glock model 34 and the Springfield XDM, both in 9mm. We went to the local gunshop/indoor range this evening to look at them both and to shoot the Glock as they have one in the rental inventory, but we were unable to shoot the XDM. Her primnary use will be casual steel matches, casual shooting, some USPSA type shooting and lastly as a defense gun for the house and in her car. We also looked at the Walther 99 and the S&W M&P models as well as a few others, none of which she likes as much as the Glock and the Springfield. Of these two, which would you suggest for her and why? She made a mistake in one gun purchase and is a bit gunshy (pardon the pun) about making another bad choice.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Between the G34 and XD-M, I'd say go with the Glock all the way. But, since you added the part about using it as a defense gun in the house and car, I'd recommend your friend consider a Glock 17 instead. You don't need that extra barrel length getting in the way in the small confines of a car.

-Cuz.

I'm not thinking that extra .82" slide and barrel (Glock 17 barrel length 4.49", Glock 34 barrel length 5.31") will make much difference inside a car. Though I do have to admit that, from shooting my own Glock 17 and 34, I have come to the conclusion there's really not anything you can do with a Glock 34 that you can't do with a Glock 17 - and with a less expensive gun, to boot. :)

My vote is for the Glock 34. For any kind of competition, the Glock will almost all ways beat the XDM. I love my Glock 22. I had an XDM in 40 but I didnt like it for competition. For a fun gun, then it's fine. The only reason I would suggest the XDM if is he shoots 1911s alot. The grip angle would be easier to transition back and forth from and the trigger reach is a bit easier. But the Glock is a time and competition proven platform and I had jamming problems with my XDM. Just my two cents.

I beat the Glock drum for a long time, truth is I can't shoot them no matter what I do or try, I shoot just about anything else better, so I would vote for the XDM. I haven't played with an XDM yet, but I can guarantee that it isn't worse than the Glock for me without ever even handling one.

I respect the Glock a lot, but it just isn't a gun for me.

I don't know it the slide release is the same on the M model over the older XD, but i had a hard time with my forward thumbs and the release. I guess i can't always count correctly, and was having trouble in IDPA matches with slide lock not occurring after 10 (11) and adding time to my reloads when i tried to fire an empty gun.

Yeah, one bad thing about the basic XD design for me: that dorky, protuberant rectangular slide stop occupies the same space my support hand thumb wants to.

+1

I have large hands and long thumbs, so I agree with the layout of the XD being troublesome. I have a g35 and switched the slide stop to a standard one and I just barely clear it, but I do. I have compared the g22 next to a 4.5" XD and shot them side by side. Same ammo, same barrel length, the XD had less perceived recoil, probably because the grip fit my hand better. the XD shot tigher groups than my G22. I really liked the feel of the metal mags of the XD on reloads in the polymer frame. I was going through the same delimma (just different caliber) between the G35 and the tactical XD. All I had to compare was the G22 size (my duty gun) and a friends same size XD. I chose to go with the glock for a couple of reasons. the finish was far better on the slide on the Glock. I know the glocks very well mechanically and can do most anything to them myself. Aftermarket support is huge in comparison to the XD. and it was just a scaled up version of what I have to carry. Mags were the same as my carry mags. Price was comparible.

Pick which ever one fits her best. they are both really good guns, it really comes down to personal choice.

The Glock 34/35's are great competition guns, but not so good for self defense. They also don't qualify as "production" guns in some sports. The Glock 17/22's are better all around guns with the G22 being the most versatile (in my opinion). But as a first gun, I think that the G17 is very tough to beat. For one thing, 9mm ammo is somewhat cheaper and there is a greater variety. Plus, it is fairly easy to find good used G17's and the resale value is excellent.

But ultimately this is all meaningless if the gun doesn't fit you well. It is very important to find someone with the type of gun you want to buy and shoot them. Even if you cannot shoot them, spend some time at the gun shop handling the gun and dry firing (do yourself a favor and buy some snap caps and have them with you - the gun shop owner will appreciate it).

I think Graham is only indicating how concealable they might be. But we're drifting anyway. :)

Glock's, M&P's and XD's are great guns. Strictly personnel choice for the casual shooter. But with confidence.

Production shooters still run Glocks by a pretty large margin. It's the abundance and availability of parts.

The ease of doing virtually all the work yourself tips things in Glocks favor for the "full-time" competitor.

Jim

My question to you is, has she shot either one of these? If so, which of the two pistols does SHE like better? The recoil impulse will be different on the two pistols. That differenc may make the decision for her.

If she hasn't shot/rented both, I highly suggest she do this and see how she feels about it each pistols recoil. The Glock has a lower bore axis than the XD-M does so in THEORY, the XD-M will have more muzzle flip. I can say this is TRUE in the case of the older XD models and a comparable Glock or S&W M&P.

Good luck

My question to you is, has she shot either one of these? If so, which of the two pistols does SHE like better? The recoil impulse will be different on the two pistols. That differenc may make the decision for her.

If she hasn't shot/rented both, I highly suggest she do this and see how she feels about it each pistols recoil. The Glock has a lower bore axis than the XD-M does so in THEORY, the XD-M will have more muzzle flip. I can say this is TRUE in the case of the older XD models and a comparable Glock or S&W M&P.

Good luck

She has fired the Glock but we have been unable to find an XD or XDM (9mm) in a rental case. We will be going to a local Steel Challange shoot tomorrow I hope we see a few different ones there that we can talk to the shooter's about.

I tried shooting Glocks off and on for years and the only way I could tolerate them was if I did a grip reduction. Then I decided to take a whirl at GSSF matches so I bought a G17 and shot it in Production while in preparation for the GSSF gig. After a summer with the Glock, I discovered a 1911, XD, etc. all point too low. :roflol:

I all seriousness, you are on the right track. Take your time, try out the Glock, XDm, maybe even an M&P. Get the gun she likes the best, then introduce her to Dillon products.

I would say 34 (actually I really prefer a 17)...if it fits her hands, if it does not, then the XD is a good choice. I have been shooting a 17 for so long that I pretty much prefer it to anything, and I like being able to detail strip, and fix anything with easy to find parts...not as easy with an XD.

The Glock 34/35's are great competition guns, but not so good for self defense. They also don't qualify as "production" guns in some sports.

Which sports don't allow the G34/35 as Production guns? International IPSC ?

IPSC (as opposed to USPSA) and GSSF come to mind --- in GSSF the long slides can only be entered in the Competition, Unlimited, and maybe one more division where prizes are limited....

If the choices are only between the G34 and the XDM my vote is for the G34. Like Zerwas stated the lower bore will change the recoil and make it more manageable. For a lady that usually makes quite a difference. If other choices are going to be considered I would third or fourth the suggestion of the less expensive and equally capable G17. I'll even go a step further and suggest a G19. Which in my humble and opinion is the perfect gun to have if you are going to have only one.

I have put a lot of time on an M&P and I like it better than the XD that I own. The M&P also has adjustable backstraps that you can tailor to hand size. However if she can handle the grip size of the Glock then I believe that also helps in taming recoil.

As stated earlier you are on the right track by letting her test before buying. If you can find someone who has one of the XDMs, I am sure that they will gladly let her try it. There are tons of options and it is important to decide what the main use will be before buying something that won't meet your needs.

Good luck and happy hunting.