Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 or XDM?

steveyacht

well my thoughts on the issue arent too much different than what has been said, but i will chime in to increase the sample size...

-do not buy anything until you have tried a variety of options. all the big name polymer framed guns are good guns. which one to get really comes down to each individual shooter. There is no "correct one" for everybody.

-I hate to say it, but my vote would be the XDM. That being said, it is just my preference and nothing more. I really really wish i could shoot the glock better. like most people have said here, the aftermarket and "do it yourself" gunsmithing for the glocks is second to none. However, i have tried numerous times side by side comparisons and the XD always came out on top for me. like i said i wish this was not the case b/c the glock has alot of things going for it that the XD does not have, but in the end it comes down to the one i can shoot better.

hope that helps...

Well, for what it is worth, she choose the Glock 34 in part because of one being available from of one of the members of this forum. Personally I am happy she chose this over the Springfield mostly because of the avaialbility of parts, accessories, support and the longer sight radius. Other than that, they were pretty equally matched.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions and sage advice! She had been monitoring this site and has found it most helpful.

Steve

Well, for what it is worth, she choose the Glock 34 in part because of one being available from of one of the members of this forum. Personally I am happy she chose this over the Springfield mostly because of the avaialbility of parts, accessories, support and the longer sight radius. Other than that, they were pretty equally matched.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions and sage advice! She had been monitoring this site and has found it most helpful.

Steve

Now have her become a BE member. That way she can tell us how she likes it.

Which sports don't allow the G34/35 as Production guns? International IPSC ?

It's my understanding that IPSC (as opposed to USPSA), GSSF, and IDPA, do not allow the longer slide Glocks in their "Production" category. In the case of IDPA, I believe that the class closest to Production is SSP. I think that ESP permits them but isn't that division is dominated by 1911's? Or has all of this changed?

Steve

Now have her become a BE member. That way she can tell us how she likes it.

She already is!

Graham Smith,

The G34/35 are legal in IDPA's Stock Service Pistol (SSP) Division. (The G34 might be the most popular gun in that division.)

They are also legal in GSSF in the Competition division. You aren't going to be shooting ANY XD's at GSSF matches. ;)

They are legal in just about any game you want to shoot in the US of A.

Try both and choose the one that is more fun to shoot.

I've noticed a trend of reducing the grip on Glocks. With the XDm you start off with a very reduced grip frame, choose the rear grip insert that works/fits best and if necessary build up the grip with either a sleeve or grip tape to get the right fit. Pluse the XDm comes with a match barrel in place.

The Glock 34 is great for a new shooter and is easy to manage, but my preference is on the XDm.

"The best" ?? Ain't no such animal.

Both are adequate to the task... whatever the task might be.

Reliability and history and parts availability and disassembly/assembly goes with the Glock.

Hand fit might go with the XD if the hand is smaller. Heck if feel and grip angle are an issue why not toss in the CZ's, if you really want something comfortable.

But all that really matters in this sort of emotional purchase is which of these adequate pistols does the purchaser feel the most comfortable with...

After that shoot it a lot.