Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Original Chip McCormick Hi-Cap

outerlimits

Wow... Brings back a lot of memories. I seem to recall the Para P13 (14)? was first though. I haven't seen one of those McCormick frames in a lot of years. I bet they're still out there tearing up cardboard somewhere.

i know mine is still running strong. s/n is 022. says tripp research under the dust cover. bought 2 of them at the time...

I remember those ads! I think the first one I saw in person was in 1992 and I was a starving college student getting ready to go on active duty...no way I had that kind of cash to blow on a frame. That was actually part of why I basically stopped competing in 1993....couldn't afford to build a high cap like that at the time and when everyone had twice as many rounds it took away a lot of the fun. I was pretty good at reloads back then though!

Wow, hadn't seen one of those in a while. I remember I had one built by Les Baer back in late 91 or early 92 and shot the 92 Nationals with it. The medallions fell out after awhile. Sad part was, we moved to Japan soon after I got it (right after the 92 Nationals), and between 4 years in Japan, then 4 years staying busy with college, I barely shot it before it became outdated and I sold it around 2001.

Edited by mpolans

I worked for tripp at sti in earley 93 building guns. the reason they were so pricey was chip got $200.00 a frame for his name. He never had anything to do with designing the product. Tripp got rid of chip about 93 & priceing came down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

yup mine is an OLD gunracer that i got from mr. kirby smith, it hasnt seen the lite of day in yrs....tho mite come out an play atthe steel match justfor giggles....have to see if the PDP2 has any juice still left in it(in an ALfaro mount btw) hehehe yep thems was the days....remember when those frames came out and we thought man.....60 bucks for a COMPLETE mag was waaaay too expensive??? hehehehe yeah....now what?? 40 bucks for a guts kit and 100 for a tube???? toss on another 20ish for a basepad and your in business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehe

Cool ad! A friend of mine has a Limited gun built on one of the Tripp Research/Gunracer frames. I've used it as a backup at several majors. It's got an old para top end and is quite sloppy. It's saving grace is it has the best trigger I've ever felt on a handgun.

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated high school in 92 but was always reading gun rags and remember seeing these in mags but at the time reading was all i could do. Never thought anything even resembling that was in my future. Still not there yet but looks a lot closer now.(still plugging away with my para for now though)

• 3 weeks later...

in about the 1994 time frame is when I just coincidentally flipped on the TV and there was ESPN airing this Colt sponsored match with all these steel plates. I remember a much younger Rob Leatham was in it. I think one of the BE forum members here has those old matches posted to some Applie iMovies site.

I started religiously reading the gun periodicals, and at some point there was some big stink over somebody trademarking the term "racegun". It seems so silly now. :rolleyes: