Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spinning at 20,000 RPM

Matt Cheely

That rocks!!! If I ever get rich.....

I have built a couple small block V8's that turned 8-9K, and a couple big blocks that turned 7-8K, the sound change from 6K to 8K is incredible. Taking a SB Chevy 383 to 9K RPM and have it still pulling HARD is like having a sordick, you just can't beat it.

My current 'hotrod' stops pulling hard much over 3200 and is governed at 3500. Love the incredible power and torque with superb fuel ecomomy, but the sound of a stout V8 is something I really miss. Garbage truck on crack or school bus on meth is how most describe the sound now LOL.

Ah, naturally aspirated through individual throttle bodies is probably the best combo for pure unadulterated gut wrenching awesome sound there is :D (but I'd still drive a turbo 5 over just about anything out there today)

The throttle response of those things amazes me :surprise:

That rocks!!! If I ever get rich.....

I have built a couple small block V8's that turned 8-9K, and a couple big blocks that turned 7-8K, the sound change from 6K to 8K is incredible. Taking a SB Chevy 383 to 9K RPM and have it still pulling HARD is like having a sordick, you just can't beat it.

My current 'hotrod' stops pulling hard much over 3200 and is governed at 3500. Love the incredible power and torque with superb fuel ecomomy, but the sound of a stout V8 is something I really miss. Garbage truck on crack or school bus on meth is how most describe the sound now LOL.

Yeah it is always a wake up call sitting at the range getting your gear on and then you hear this loud roar coming from the entrance to club and everyone knows who just showed up. Though you must have snuck in on Sunday last week as I never heard you.

It really is music to the ears........

Still one of my favorite You Tube clips :cheers:

I've had lots of toys but the best "obtainable" one I still have not owned is a Ducati. There is nothing sweeter. Lopey V-twin idle, clattering clutch and a 10k top end...... It's like the best trait of every engine I've ever heard combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-UyhAHKaI

Renault's 2.4L V8

Being that I work with engines that will blow apart at 3000 RPM, 20k is just insane to me. :surprise:

I thought you fellas were starting to spin those Diesels a little faster than that?I wish I had some video of turning up one of my old Rolls Royce Darts on the water.Pretty cool.-Mike

Edited by kframe_mike

The 20,000 rpm V8 has always intrigued me too....the F1 engines and the entire F1 sport is state of the ART technology!!!

what's truely astounding is that anything stays to gether...we're talking 330+ revolutions every second! now wonder common valve springs didn't cut it. and if you think that's amazing, think of the speed of the transmission changes.

I seem to remember an F1 engine has such tight clearances that it won't even spin over until it's warmed up by an external heat device........a little different from my old drag racing days when we could spin an engine (without spark plugs) with one hand.

Yeah, most circulate preheated coolant through the engine prior to startup.

I think it was Renault that went to pneumatic valve springs first when they started spinning 16 to 17k rpm. I remember thinking I thought the guy was pulling my leg when he told me about it. Little did I know. Guess that is why I do what I do instead of designing F1 engines.

Edited to add link to this clip of a quasi-regular guy trying to drive one of these beasts. Hope he had his Depends on!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/top-gea...-one_143033.htm

Edited by Neomet

i once had a 498 bbc with a kinsler fuel injection system that we converted to EFI that was a fun motor... sat in a 55 belair with the stacks sticking out of the hood... cobalt blue car with lime green flames boy did i enjoy that car... sold that for a chromoly chassis glass body camaro with a 598ci engine thatone had 986 horse with 2 stages of nitrous on top of that..... now i drive a diesel truck.........