Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 9mm Magazines

Duane Thomas

I'm working on putting my single stack 9mm 1911 in form. Feed reliability-wise I've got it nailed. However I do have two magazine related problems: (1) Most of the Metalform magazines I have will not drop free - apparently there's a lot of dimensional variability in the tubes on these mags, and (2) I don't like the split metal follower design on these mags, I've seen entirely too many instances of this design popping over the slide stop inside the gun, pinning the mag in the gun and requiring it to be manually ripped free. This has actually happened with a couple of these mags.

So, question. Is anyone aware of a 9mm single stack mag that will ideally drop free and features a solid plastic or metal follower design?

The follower is metal, split sorta like the McCormick, but with a front skirt. The overall length of the mag is the same as my Wilson Combat 8 round 45 mags with base pad. The tube itself is a little longer but the removable base pad is thinner. It fits my 9mm Trojan like a flush mount mag with a base pad if that makes any sense. If you want real measurements it will have to wait until tomorrow.... :)

I haven't seen them yet, but I bet they are good.

Wilson Combat

I ordered a bunch of these from Brian and got them in today. Great service. Great Price. If they work as good as they look, you won't have any issues. These things exude quality.

Unfortunately, the gun these will go in has not arrived yet so I can't say anything about function/dropping free. If they don't work in my new gun, I'll probably get a gun they will work in. ;)

My 9mm ETM magazines have made all of the difference in the world in my 9mm Springfield loaded Target. I have not had a single failure with my 9mm 1911 since I've ran the Wilson ETM's.

The few gripes I have are the following:

-They have a plastic spacer in the magazine that makes take down and reassembly a little tricky. I have figured out how to do it now and can do it with not much trouble, but it takes you putting the follower in long ways in first and flipping it over once it's inside.

-The witness slot also doesn't go all the way down for you to see the 10th bullet, but that's a minor issue.

What I do like about them:

-They drop free fine in my Springer.

-I like how they sort of stack the bullets in the magazine in a double stack fashion just slightly.

-The spacer places the top bullet further forward which puts it in the optimum spot to hit my feed ramp perfectly in the middle making feeding very smooth.

They did the difficult task of making an already great design better. I like how the offset the witness slot placed further back to the rear has made the magazine body feel much more rigid. I also like the new magazine base pads and the integrated numbering system on each pad makes magazine tracking as easy as filling in the appropriate numbers with white out and gives it a clean appearance.

I'd highly recommend the 9mm ETM magazines to anyone looking for a good reliable magazine for their 9mm 1911.

Edited by Aristotle

The only problem I had with the wilsons was that you can't load longer than 1.150 any longer than that and they bind up. If you use factory or load to factory lengths you'll be fine.

+1

I've noticed that problem too, at first I thought it was the magazine, then realized my round is very very close to the front of the mag. I will have to adjust my OAL.

Randy

I use both the Wilson and Tripp 9mm 10 rd mags with no problems. The 10th round in the Wilson is more difficult to insert than the 10th in the Tripp (minor issue).

I just shot the Tn. Hillbilly Classic using them without a hiccup.

Mine run flawlessly in my Rock Island. I don't know how they will do in the lesser pistols. :lol:

Dave

Edited by Airedale

Hello: A couple of guys here bought the Wilson mags because how well they work in there 45's. They had lots of feed problems and sent them back. They ended up using Tripp 9mm and McCormick 38super mags. I have not tried them yet but I am very happy with the Tripp 9mm and the Metalform/Springfield mags I have. I did have to press the mags into shape to make them drop free. Duane, you may have to change out your slide stop or weld the end up to work on the different follower. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I don’t know if this helps.

Picked up a STI Legacy in 9 a few months ago. At the same time I bought 6 Tripp 9mm 10 round mags.

Zero failures of any kind to feed or drop free so far. It is now just about 1500 rounds of factory Blazers.

Seating the 9mm magazines is not a problem.

I do have to use a lot of effort to get his 45 mags into my carry guns with a round in the chamber.

I had problems with the mag follower over riding the slide stop in my Kimber 9mm 1911 until changed to a Wilson Bullet Prooof Slide stop for 9mm/38 super. The Wilson protrudes into the magwell by about .020" more than a .45 slide stop but it was enough to make it work 100%. I've used the Tripp 9mm mags with no problems.

I have not had a chance to shoot them but I just got a couple of the Wilsons.

So far thing only issue I see with them is to relaod with 10 rounds you btter damn well mean it. In my Kimber I have to REALLY seat them with 10 rounds loaded.

Wilson says they will (or probably already have, by this time) be sending me one of their ETM 9mm mags to test out. I have high hopes, sure enough.

I was going to PM you that I'd send you one to test... Then I saw this post. I'm now stocking them in my store.

So now, please let me know how it works out. :) They look real nice.

be

I have used Metalform 9mm and 38 Super magzines in both a Dan Wesson 1911 and Springfield 1911 in 9mm. They have functiioned flawlessly for me with drop free ejection. I have also tried a few MecGar mags in the same calibers and they are also flawless performers.

For what it's worth , I run McCormick 38 Super 10 rd mags in my Colt Govt 9mm with no problems.

I use them in my Springfield loaded 9mm also with no problems at all.

Well the Wilson's were a failure in my Kimber. Both mags would jam after a slide lock reload. Round was stuck half way up the ramp. Looks like they will be going back to Brownells. I really wanted these to work as they were really nice looking mags. I think the mag spring may be too strong. Most 9mm 1911 run with a 9-12 lb recoil spring. I use an 11 lb in mine.

My Kimber works well with CMC 38 Super mags and Metalform 10 round 9mm mags.

Edited by Joe D

I have four of the Wilson's. the first two seemed to have a very heavy spring in them. The second two worked great from the gitgo. All came from Brownells. I polished the insides of the top lips slightly on the first two, then loaded them up with 10 rounds, and left them loaded for a couple of days. They work fine now. The gun is a STI Sentinel. -----JWB