Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealed Handgun

I am looking for an automatic Concealed Handgun

I cant decide

1. The caliber 9 x 19 or 40 S&W

2. Glock 26/27 or S&W M&P Compact

I currently shoot limited with my M&P 40 and love the grip and accuracy.

But do like to have something light as much as possible for every day carrying and like to shoot it at the range with my other guns.

Any suggestion is welcome

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 'carry' set is the Springfield GI Champion (.45ACP), commander sized semi-auto... with a Smith & Wesson 3913 (not a Ladysmith) semi-auto in 9mm as the BUG.

The Glocks just tend to be a bad fit and I'm partial to 1911s... but then everyone here already knows that. :D

How you're going to carry it will make a difference in the answer. The M&P Compact is a nice gun, but it's a bit bigger than the G26/27. For a belt holster setup, this isn't a big deal. If you plan to carry in an ankle rig, it makes a lot more difference. My daily Summer carry is a G23 in a belt holster and the G27 in an Alessi ankle rig. I'm far from a big guy and the G27 is about as big as I can go in an ankle rig. In the cooler months I carry a G22 in a belt holster and the G27 in the ankle rig. The only time I carry the G27 as primary in a belt holster is when I'm fishing, hiking or mountain biking where I'm not likely to get mugged or run into a bank robber ;)

If I was allowed to carry whatever I wanted, things would be different, but they aren't so no use in worrying about it.

If you're shooting an M&P in matches, it's probably a great idea to carry the same basic gun for personal protection since you're going to be very comfortable with it.

I go with J-frame in a pocket, of if I am going to bother with a holster it will be a Commander 45 IWB, if for some reason I have to go somewhere I need more I go with a G22 IWB and deal with concealing it. Concealing a baby Glock (or an M&P) is only very slightly easier than concealing a duty sized gun, I don't bother.

How you plan to carry is an important factor in deciding which gun to get. If you are planning to carry in an inside the waistband holster, try carrying the fullsize M&P for a bit to try it out. You might be surprised how easy it is to conceal. My personal favorite carry gun was a Glock 19.

You've hit on the age - old problem.

You want (and so do I) to carry the smallest,

lightest gun you can find (or deny you need one

and carry nothing), but when you need the gun,

you want the biggest, heaviest gun ...

How you plan to carry is very important - pocket

guns are the best concealed, IMHO, and that's

very important in NYS - if anyone reports me that

I'm carrying (they "make" me), I can lose my

license - now you're limited to small, light guns.

I carry the Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm, loaded with

+P+ loads, which work out to about standard

velocity from the short barrel. But, I have 11

shots of 9mm completely concealed - in my pocket

holster - I wear it even in a pair of shorts on a hot

day, and no one has "made" me, yet, that I know

of.

Depends on how important the concealment factor is,

if I had a badge I'd carry in a strong side holster, with

the badge right in front of it, and then I'd carry a

larger pistol , but I'd stay with light.

The only advantage of the 9mm is cheaper to practice

with, and smaller, lighter gun. If you're shooting a

.40, that's a big advantage to carrying a .40.

Tough choices - good luck.

Since you've already got the .40 M&P full size, I'd go with the same in compact. It'll have the same feel, point the same way, and you can use the same practice ammo you shoot in your full size gun. You can get sleeves for the full size mags that fill the gap between the base plate and the bottom of the grip frame if you want to carry a full size mag as a backup magazine.

The grip angle on the Glock is just enough different to confuse somebody coming from any other platform IMO.

I have a Kahr PM9 that I am getting ready to put up for sale for the simple reason that I mostly pocket carry in jeans and prefer something that is as simple as possible - which for me translates to a j-frame revolver.

There is also the matter of size and shape. I really like the little PM9, but find that, for my hands, it just doesn't fit very well. It's not so much that it's too small, it just doesn't feel right in my hand when I shoot it.

Your mileage may vary.

I did not vote in the poll. The one you will carry and not decide is too much trouble is the one you should get. Just make sure it goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

+1

The bestest neatest niftiest 1911/Glock/SW etc will do no good sitting at home because it was to much trouble to carry that day. Carry anything, everyday, or don't bother.

If your body type, clothing choices, and climate allow year around carry of a med sized auto, go for it. But the Kahr is a nice compromise, in 9mm.... the Kel-Tec, Ruger LMP, S&W Airweight revolvers, and even a Bersa Thunder CC are popular choices for guns that you might be less tempted to leave at home (but they don't meet your caliber requirement)

Commander 1911 in 45 is my choice. The key that many has commented on is a comfortable rig. I use the milt sparks summer special and a good gun belt. I carry either a kimber eclipse or a springfield champion. Both are all steel but with this rig I forget I have it on sometimes it is so comfortable.

Given your two caliber choices I would definitely go 40 but 45 is better.

I didn't vote because you didn't include my favorite caliber, the .45.

But the most important thing to consider in a carry gun is to pick one you will carry every time you leave the house, period. A carry gun is not a carry gun if you leave it at home because you want to wear shorts & a t-shirt. If you go inside the waist you might need bigger pants and a way to drape the shirt. Regular belt or paddle requires an overlaying shirt some times 1 size larger. Shoulder holsters work best with coats that are cut for them or an extra size larger. See the trend is to clothes slightly larger unless you pick a really small gun to start with then you have to fight the "friends don't let friends carry mouse guns." A mouse gun beats no gun all to pieces since the hope is not to need it at all. In the colder months my choice is a .45 in shorts & t-shirt it is a North American Arms 32 NAA.

One last thing is that if you brandish your weapon the chances are that you are not going to see it again until after the trial is over.

Here is my 02 cents.

Select something that you carry EVERY day EVERYWHERE (where legal).

A pocket 32 or 380 that you HAVE is much better than a 9 or 40 or 45 that is sitting on the dresser.

If it is comfortable to carry, and it goes bang with every pull, then you have made your decision.

A "mouse gun" that goes bang still makes holes.

:sight:

Desert Eagle .50 is my choice.

But after caring it for a while it ended up where 95% of the big bore carry guns do end up. Back in the drawer or glove box instead of on my person.

I live in TX. Don't wear a coat and wear my shirttail tucked in. .380 KelTec in my Dockers front pocket.

One or two of the people I know who actually carry a CG have a 9MM or larger REAL carry gun. You know, one they carry all the time not just once a month. The rest look at me and spout shiot about how their 9mm/40/45 (at home in their desk drawer) is the only "real" CCG and the gun I have In My Pocket is worthless and just a bad joke as far as a self defense weapon.....

Just MY opinion... :closedeyes:

Given your choices I picked the M&P.

My carry guns are a Colt LW Commander .45 acp and a S&W 640 .38 special. To be honest the 640 gets carried about 99% of the time. Its easy to carry in the summer and during the winter I wear sweat shirts and sweat pants. I'll carry it in a Bianchi 9R shoulder rig and then put on a sweat shirt over it.