Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whenever I am out of the house, I always have my Para-Ordnance lightweight P14.45 plus either my steel Para or a single stack 1911A1 on my person. What I have in my truck raises the count and effectiveness of the tools, of course. ;)

Around the house, I carry just the single stack 1911A1.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a relative newbie to competition, but what got me "in to" guns as an adult - after a hiatus from shooting in college - was the discovery that my county sheriff was operating his own "shall-issue" CCW program. That was about 4 years ago, and Colorado just passed a state-wide shall-issue law, so now everyone in the state can obtain one.

My empoyer (a large computer company) does not permit weapons on their premises, but I normally carry just about all the time besides then - especially when I go to Denver. After trying the following for CCW: HK USP (big!), Glock 27, Glock 19/23, CZ Compact, I have settled on a BHP in a Milt Sparks Watch-6 IWB holster. That combination is easily concealed under only a t-shirt and is relatively comfortable to carry. The BHP is quite thin. I'm also having a titanium-framed Commander built (.45) which will probably become my normal carry piece when it's finished.

-z

TL,

We have to jump though all the hoops. There are of course fees, forms and a shooting ability review that we have to go through at the County Police HQ. After all of that the chances of approval are slim.

Here is a link that shows the requirements.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/mgt_serv/licensin...w_download.html

http://www.sdsheriff.net/mgt_serv/licensing/ccw.html

Jim

I carry more now then I use to. A full sized 1911 was a little obvious

and I couldn't find a holster that would allow me to carry it comfortably.

So I was down at the gun shop one day and bought a Spfld. XD40 and

ordered a Dillon master holster, the combination carries much better

for me.

In Kalifornia, it is up to each county to issue permits to it's citizens as it sees fit. Each counties chief of police deals with it differently. In San Francisco, anyone can apply for one, but your chances of approval are virtually nil unless you have big time political/financial clout. In principle you only need justification of the need to carry to be approved (handling large bank deposits etc.), but in practice, only a priveleged few ever actually get approval. Barbara Boxer (a very liberal anti-gun politician) got one many moons ago when she first became an elected official in San Francisco because of concerns for her safety after she received a couple of threatening letters. I understand that even retired LEO's can not get CCW's approved. I also hear that off duty carry is frowned upon by the SFPD hierarchy.

The city of San Francisco does not honor CCW's from outside the county/state until after you have been arrested, your gun confiscated, and your record checked out. You will then need a lawyer to get the gun back (if you are lucky) because they like to make manhole covers out of weapons around here. This country needs to get a national CCW program going "real soon now".

Regards,

As far as hardware goes, whenever laws allow, or sensibilities require it, my preference for pistola's is my SIG P-226 and at least a coupla spare mags. If space is an issue, I will abide by a Glock 19 and one spare mag. WW SilverTip is the fodder of choice.

Given my druthers, I would carry a semi-auto shotgun full of buckshot in my hands, and an A2 model AR-15 slung across my back with 150 rounds plus of hot 55gr FMJ in 30 rounders on me. Even then, I would still want the SIG on my hip cause ya' just never know :-)

Sig P-229 in the car. But not all the time. But it SHOULD be all the time. Carjackings, you know. Small town--occasional very big crimes. And Federal Hydrashocks to pour out the business end of it should they be needed. Oregon is a shall-issue state.

Glock 22 with Hydra Shocks. I rarely carry, but I always keep one in the truck (I have a permit) So I attached an Uncle Mikes cloth holster to the front part of my drivers seat, nearly hidden. In less than 2 seconds, I can go from the steering wheel to aiming at someone if need be.

Tightloop

They would be in the same shape one with or the other, a Glock or a Sig would recieve less scrutiny from a liability attorney or law enforcment than a 1911 with a single action trigger. I don't like it, its just what I've been led to believe from different gun magazines. Virginia is a lot like Texas in sentiments about guns and laws so I'm probably concerned for nothing.

I also don't care nearly as much if something happens (damage or theft) to my Glocks or Sigs as I do with my 1911's, I just didn't want to start that debate.

Given my druthers, I would carry a semi-auto shotgun full of buckshot in my hands, and an A2 model AR-15 slung across my back with 150 rounds plus of hot 55gr FMJ in 30 rounders on me. Even then, I would still want the SIG on my hip cause ya' just never know :-)

My kinda guy!

Actually, once I get my new superlight Bushmaster running, I actually could carry it with me all the time. It might raise a few questions, though, so I'll get a small guitar case or something I can wear like a backpack. :ph34r:

My "Lil' Gaston" is a Glock model 27 with a +1 extension, firing a hollow point.

I wear it on my ankle about 98% of the time that I carry it. If I didn't wear it on my ankle, I would end up wearing it on my nightstand most of the time that I went out.

In Australia no-one has the right of carry (or possession) for self-defense(except the Prime Minister's bodygaurds) but if we did I would carry my S&W 686 with 2 1/2" barrel at all times.

In 1995 we had a lunatic walk around in open view at the Port Arthur tourist site and kill 35 people over a period of 2 1/2 hours with 2 stolen rifles. The police never arrived at the site. I often wonder how many lives would have been saved had Australian citizens had the right of carry.

He left Port Arthur and returned to the home of the 2 people he had murdered to get his guns. The police surrounded that site after he set fire to the building and captured him when he was forced to leave to escape the flames. It was later revealed that he had been suspected of murdering his father and a woman from whom he had inherited a small fortune. Several people had complained to police that he had threatened them with violence prior to Port Arthur, but nothing had been done. It was later discovered that he had possession of an illegal machine gun which lacked only one small part to make it functional. He is now incarcerated at Her Majesty's pleasure for the term of his natural life.

This incident prompted the Prime Minister, John Howard, to conduct the first of his gun confiscations from the law-abiding. :blink::wacko:

Howard's second series of confiscations involving handguns is now in progress as a result of an incident at Monash University which involved one Chinese student shooting two other Chinese students. :blink::(:angry:

SS,

Think about that. I’m sure you wouldn’t use deadly force unless you were in mortal terror, so the alternative to answering that lawyers question is your death?

The old saw “I’d rather be tried by twelve than carried be six” certainly rings true to me.

Ed

Run&Gun stole my thunder on this one. I am in complete accord with him. If it comes to lawyer talk, take solice in the fact that you will be the only one with a story, and that your preparation is what saved your bacon. They can liken your practice session to anything they like; but at the time it happened, you were better prepared, the better shot, and the SURVIVOR, and that's what matters, after you "see the elephant".

sorry for the thread drift, you already know I carry.

I have a commander slide, officers frame .45 that rides everywhere but into work (where I might need it) in my fannypack or on the belt, and a G22 in my truck at all times. Better yet my beautiful and well paid wife (or we would have to live in a box) carriers her G23 with her at all times. God protect the person (and those in the general vicinity) who goes after her B)